Is my needle bent? Dirty? Both??

tvham

I've noticed a lot more cracks and pops lately while playing records. Normally this wouldn't be surprising but I've been cleaning all my records with my Humminguru and initially everything was dead silent, this just started a week or so ago. I'm wondering if my stylus might be bent, or full of gunk, or something else(static?) My apt is super dusty in general but I use a stylus brush and anti static record brush before every play. I've owned the turntable a little over 2 years and have never changed the stylus. Here are a few pics;

530C4456-4DAF-476D-9206-83FE13CFCF64.jpeg
33A1A84D-1245-444D-A9E6-61FAC5D1DFB4.jpeg

I've noticed a lot more cracks and pops lately while playing records. Normally this wouldn't be surprising but I've been cleaning all my records with my Humminguru and initially everything was dead silent, this just started a week or so ago. I'm wondering if my stylus might be bent, or full of gunk, or something else(static?) My apt is super dusty in general but I use a stylus brush and anti static record brush before every play. I've owned the turntable a little over 2 years and have never changed the stylus. Here are a few pics;

View attachment 128261
View attachment 128262
Looks ok. If you are a heavy spinner, sounds like it’s time for a new stylus.

As a stylus wears it eventually begins to contact the bottom of the record groove. Increased noise is usually the tell-tale sign.

Despite marketing copy, conventional wisdon, religious beliefs, etc. if your blue stylus tracking at 2 grams is in the 300 hour range it has likely worn enough that it is now contacting the bottom of the record groove and is time for a replacement.

Pat

Back