Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

So far this pressing is marginally better than the first one but that doesn't mean it's good. The distortion on the latter half of "Daydreaming" and all throughout "Decks Dark" is unbearable. I think that's just how "Burn the Witch" sounds though, it gets pretty badly clipped at the chorus no matter what format you hear it in. "Desert Island Disk" and "Ful Stop" sounded pretty okay but overall I am not impressed. I'm beginning to think this album is just not designed for vinyl. I guess we'll see how things go on disc two.

Radiohead-my iron lung red promo... one of the only ways to get the song "you never wash up after yourself" on vinyl, the other being that greek pressing of My Iron Lung Radiohead - My Iron Lung

image.jpg

image.jpg

So who's up for hearing a wacky Radiohead conspiracy theory? I've had this theory a long time and havent seen it anywhere else and figured I'd share it with yall. Feel free to laugh at me but I'm just having a bit fun theorizing about music I love.

So... back when TKOL first landed, a lot of people suspecting that a follow up was coming due to the record's shortness and the fact the last lines in the closing track were "If you think this is over, then you're wrong." This second album would make TKOL a double album. Obviously, almost a decade later, we know that didn't happen and the rumors look pretty stupid in hindsight. These theories were clearly wrong... or were they?

I think we did get a follow-up counterpart album to The King of Limbs eventually, it just wasn't released that same year nor was it advertised as such. That follow-up record? Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

Think about it: both are eight tracks long, under 40 minutes (both just long enough to fit onto one CD) and I know from personal experience that "Separator" (which "separates" the two albums 🤔) flows into "A Brain in a Bottle" pretty well. Obviously the two albums are different in sound: TKOL is very warm and organic, while TMB is very cold and electronic. But I think this may have been the intention; I've always been fascinated by the idea of double albums that consist of two distinct halves that share a concept but are sonically very different. And I think that TKOL and TMB work as companion pieces to each other, in fact they are stronger together imo than they are as separate entities.

Again, this is just a fun little theory I made up, but I'm interested to hear thoughts on this. Or if you think I'm just a crackpot dummy, then feel free to let me know 😛

So who's up for hearing a wacky Radiohead conspiracy theory? I've had this theory a long time and havent seen it anywhere else and figured I'd share it with yall. Feel free to laugh at me but I'm just having a bit fun theorizing about music I love.

So... back when TKOL first landed, a lot of people suspecting that a follow up was coming due to the record's shortness and the fact the last lines in the closing track were "If you think this is over, then you're wrong." This second album would make TKOL a double album. Obviously, almost a decade later, we know that didn't happen and the rumors look pretty stupid in hindsight. These theories were clearly wrong... or were they?

I think we did get a follow-up counterpart album to The King of Limbs eventually, it just wasn't released that same year nor was it advertised as such. That follow-up record? Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

Think about it: both are eight tracks long, under 40 minutes (both just long enough to fit onto one CD) and I know from personal experience that "Separator" (which "separates" the two albums 🤔) flows into "A Brain in a Bottle" pretty well. Obviously the two albums are different in sound: TKOL is very warm and organic, while TMB is very cold and electronic. But I think this may have been the intention; I've always been fascinated by the idea of double albums that consist of two distinct halves that share a concept but are sonically very different. And I think that TKOL and TMB work as companion pieces to each other, in fact they are stronger together imo than they are as separate entities.

Again, this is just a fun little theory I made up, but I'm interested to hear thoughts on this. Or if you think I'm just a crackpot dummy, then feel free to let me know 😛

.haven't heard of this until now, but I like it. I always found that last line in Separator a bit cheeky...

I remember all the wild theories when tkol came out...it was wild to read them all but I do like your theory:)

love a good conspiracy theory about muzak...definitely preferable to one about 5g tours....

had never thought of tkol as 'warm and organic' to be honest though

Others on here said theirs sounded good, personally my copy was nothing to write home about unfortunately 😒
Well to be honest GAP, unless it's near universal praise it's a pass for me because I know I'm not gunna get a good one. It's too bad but it really seems there just isn't a reliable pressing of this one...

Well to be honest GAP, unless it's near universal praise it's a pass for me because I know I'm not gunna get a good one. It's too bad but it really seems there just isn't a reliable pressing of this one...
Yeah, I'm not super lucky with a lot of pressings that get mixed reviews either but I feel this album specifically I'm just destined to not listen to on vinyl. I'll give the new copy one thing, it was far from perfect, but it was marginally better than the atrocity that was the first copy I owned.

From now on I'm thinking I'll just go digital with this one... it sucks because it's imo one of the strongest albums Radiohead has ever made. But something about it just doesn't seem to translate to vinyl.

Yeah, I'm not super lucky with a lot of pressings that get mixed reviews either but I feel this album specifically I'm just destined to not listen to on vinyl. I'll give the new copy one thing, it was far from perfect, but it was marginally better than the atrocity that was the first copy I owned.

From now on I'm thinking I'll just go digital with this one... it sucks because it's imo one of the strongest albums Radiohead has ever made. But something about it just doesn't seem to translate to vinyl.
Yeah I've got the box and for about 3 sides it's tolerable, then side four is covered in pops. I went through THREE different copies of it and I still couldn't piece together a better two discs than that. So I'm done. (I only paid for one copy, just got replacements)

Yeah I've got the box and for about 3 sides it's tolerable, then side four is covered in pops. I went through THREE different copies of it and I still couldn't piece together a better two discs than that. So I'm done. (I only paid for one copy, just got replacements)
I seem unable to get a copy without some really gnarly distortion absolutely destroying some songs. "Daydreaming" seems to get it the worst especially later in the song. "Decks Dark" was really noisy too. Oddly enough some songs played perfectly ("Glass Eyes" sounded surprisingly good) and others just were absolute garbage... it's very much a mixed bag of pressing, not worth the gamble imo

I seem unable to get a copy without some really gnarly distortion absolutely destroying some songs. "Daydreaming" seems to get it the worst especially later in the song. "Decks Dark" was really noisy too. Oddly enough some songs played perfectly ("Glass Eyes" sounded surprisingly good) and others just were absolute garbage... it's very much a mixed bag of pressing, not worth the gamble imo
Agreed, I'm going to have to go listen again for that distortion. I've got a Shibata stylus so I find in some cases it gets so far into the groove that it seems to miss some of the distortion in some cases, or I just have a better pressing of that song... I'll listen for it though...

Back