Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

One year old heat pump is on the fritz. God I am so ready to light someone up for this. At this point the 10 year old unit that failed was working better than this one.

Replaced my ceiling fan remote control console in our bedroom this weekend. Unfortunately, the new receiver inside the fan is a little bigger than the old one and doesn't fit inside the ceiling fan cap like the old one. Tried to hide it from sight as much as I could, but it's going to have to be exposed. But man, it's nice to get some light and air circulation in that room - haven't had it for months while it's been broken. Working with electrical always makes me nervous so I put it off until my wife complained. :giggle:

Hi5 to this thread for getting me motivated to refi. Rates just took a big hop up this week, but I was able to lock mine a couple weeks back. Literally took 10 years off my mortgage without changing my payment.
Looks like I missed my chance to get the rock-bottom rates... I'd only be able to knock 0.5% so not really worth it.

What was the rate difference on your end?

Looks like I missed my chance to get the rock-bottom rates... I'd only be able to knock 0.5% so not really worth it.

What was the rate difference on your end?
I took 1.7% off my old 30-year rate by converting to a 15-year. Also requoted my homeowners as long as I was at it and dropped a few bucks off that premium too. Having a Very Adult month over here.

At the point in my life where comparing 30 different shades of white paint is what's keeping me awake at work.

House is looking good thankfully. Gutters and crawlspace are what need most attention, but it's minor. Will probably end up putting a privacy fence on at least 2 sides. Have a spot selected for turntable set up. Priorities.

Also, if anyone has any general advice for a first-time homeowner, I'll take it.

I don’t know how to feel about a potentially weaponized Night Mather.
Think of how I feel about it. That spazz is likely to blow his/my own foot off trying to show off for whatever imaginary friend he's talking to at that moment...

Think of how I feel about it. That spazz is likely to blow his/my own foot off trying to show off for whatever imaginary friend he's talking to at that moment...
You’ve got your audio set up down there, right? I feel like I remember you going nuts because that stone wall was doing some sonic weirdness, but can’t recall if that’s real or something I just decided happened.

You’ve got your audio set up down there, right? I feel like I remember you going nuts because that stone wall was doing some sonic weirdness, but can’t recall if that’s real or something I just decided happened.
I have Atmos 7.1 down there, so different rig but yes there is one down there. As I suspected once I got the furniture in its greatly dampened the crazy reflections. I don't think it's gunna win any awards for sonic reproduction but it sounds good now and the B10 Sub absolutely kicks down there...

All you people finishing your basements got me jealous. Mine is useable, but not wasting the cash finishing it - I have an old house and as part of what I assume was stabilizing the foundation years back, I think they added 4-6” of concrete, which puts my floor-to/joist height 1) uneven and 2) low. If I added a ceiling I think it’d touch my head.

But now that I have my workout stuff down there it’s giving me the itch to do...something.

All you people finishing your basements got me jealous. Mine is useable, but not wasting the cash finishing it - I have an old house and as part of what I assume was stabilizing the foundation years back, I think they added 4-6” of concrete, which puts my floor-to/joist height 1) uneven and 2) low. If I added a ceiling I think it’d touch my head.

But now that I have my workout stuff down there it’s giving me the itch to do...something.
Hobbit lounge? There's always possibilities...

If I live here long enough maybe old-person-shrinking will work to my advantage.
Part of the reason I bought this house was because of the potential for a kick ass basement. I'm beyond thrilled at how it's turned out. It's like a second house. But one filled with even more games and booze than the first house...

I have entered the dark, confusing world of ceiling medallions, light fixtures, pulling out the old window replacement quotes, installing a rubber floor, repairing the ceiling damage from the leak we finally solved, putting network jacks in plaster walls, and reordering the house for new furniture. Time to put to rest all the things we said we'd do if we ever got a surprise influx of cash.

Alright..I want your opinions...have you ever heard of painting walls first, even with mud to be muddled still and sanded and then going back after a coat of paint to finish mudding?

Alright..I want your opinions...have you ever heard of painting walls first, even with mud to be muddled still and sanded and then going back after a coat of paint to finish mudding?
I haven't. Unless you mean primed in which case yes I have heard of that because it will show any imperfections they may have missed and that are hard to see without a coat of primer.

Back