Heathens - The DBT Thread

Nice writeup from Hood on the 20th anniversary of Southern Rock Opera.

My favorite quote: "Cooley says if we ever perform it live again, it should be on ice."

Great write-up. I love Patterson's missives.

I've definitely imagined seeing them play SRO live quite a few times over the past few years. Not on ice, though!

20211009_123354.jpg

Got notification from my bookshop this morning that this came in - which pretty much perfectly split the difference between original publication date and the delayed date they gave me.

Now the game becomes can I get through this before baby arrives?!

View attachment 114490

Got notification from my bookshop this morning that this came in - which pretty much perfectly split the difference between original publication date and the delayed date they gave me.

Now the game becomes can I get through this before baby arrives?!
Ooh. Looks like I maybe found my next read.

And thanks! We are excited and antsy and insanely overwhelmed with last minute preparations and the "any minute now" of it all at this point. 🤯
When my (now 21 year old) Son was little, I would play 18 Wheels of Love for him, solely so he could be out with my wife and break into spontaneous refrains of "Mama ran off with a trucker".

A couple of DBT related thoughts:

Enjoyed the Georgia Blue covers album that Isbell released digitally today. Midnight Train to Georgia and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed were the standouts to me.

About 30 pages into "Where the Devil Don't Stay". Love his approach to the book. The introduction spoke to me too, one of the things I love about the DBT is that even as a guy from southern California, they can immerse me in the world of the south.

I am absolutely loving the forboding rasp of Patterson's voice on "The Driver" - definitely my favourite of the three singles from the new album so far.

2 more weeks!
Agreed 100%. Didn't care much for the first single. The second is good, but The Driver is classic swampy DBT.

And since it wasn't mentioned here, there is a exclusive version of the new album at Seasick Records:

Agreed 100%. Didn't care much for the first single. The second is good, but The Driver is classic swampy DBT.

I listened to all 3 in reverse order of release this morning and it was the first time I was pretty into that first one. I think it was an odd choice for lead single but it has grown on me some - sounds better surrounded by other songs for sure.

And since it wasn't mentioned here, there is a exclusive version of the new album at Seasick Records:

I’m a little surprised this is still around. It’s been up for weeks now.

Not sure why this isn’t working. FB group posted the sound cloud link and it works through there.

Back