Hana MH High Output MC Cartridge Review

HiFi Guy

All Things Audio
EC23F1E4-BF54-4DB7-94A4-0645F5002813.jpeg

By now, everyone knows the Hana story. They are made by the Excel Corporation of Japan, who has acted as a contractor for other companies for decades. About five years ago, they decided to market their own cartridges, starting out with the E and step up S series, priced at $475 and $750 respectively. More recently, they added the M series. All are available in both high and low output versions, either 2 mV (compatible with standard moving magnet phono preamplifiers) or .5 mV which requires either a MC compatible phono stage or a step up transformer. The E and S series share the same non threaded 5 gram body, the difference being the profile of the stylus- either elliptical or Shibata.

Moving up to the M series ($1200), the stylus is a Microline, which is closer to the profile of the cutting stylus used to make the lacquer in the record manufacturing process. Additionally, the cartridge body is made of Delryn for less resonance. A brass top plate has been added. This gives a better coupling between the cartridge and the head shell and also eliminates the need for nuts: the cartridge mounts easily with a pair of supplied Allen bolts. Also included is an Allen wrench as well as stylus cleaning brush. One last thing differentiates the M series from the rest of the cartridge market- the internal parts are cryogenically treated: frozen at sub-zero temperatures which reportedly changes the structure of metal at a molecular level. Reportedly this offers “better sound”. I’ll take their word for it, but the practice has been common for decades in the audio industry on top tier products, although the Hana M series is the first phono cartridge I can recall that has received such treatment.

Microline Stylus

For those who want to skip the “why” of why the Microline stylus is my favorite, let me say it is quiet in the groove. It has very low groove noise and reduces surface noise on less than perfect discs. It also tracks very well, and due to the advanced stylus shape, it has the most contact area of any commonly available stylus profile, and will contact the grooves at places that are untouched by more basic styli like conical/spherical or elliptical. This is a boon for those who regularly crate dig for decades old records: Once the record has been cleaned (preferably with a vacuum system) Microline styli can produce shockingly good results, as the stylus is tracking “fresh” parts of the groove that have been untouched by previous styli.

Why is this? Warning- Math and Physics ahead. A conical and an elliptical stylus only contact the grooves at two pinpoints. This puts extra pressure on the grooves at these two points, and cause the stylus to wear at these two points. That’s not to say that you will cause reduced record life by using either one- I contend that abrasion by playing dirty records causes more wear to both the record and the stylus than using more basic styli profiles. Moving up the totem pole, one will find Line Contact, Shibata and Microline styli, and that’s the pecking order, with Microline being King. As you move up, stylus life increases and record wear decreases. Distortion decreases as well. In doing research for this review, I’ve found data that suggests that distortion decreases as much as 40 percent when moving to a Microline from a Line Contact. This is because the contact patch is wider on the Microline, the stylus is coming into contact with the grooves over a greater area. Contact pressure is lower as the stylus profile becomes more advanced- closer to that of the stylus that originally cut the lacquer during the manufacturing process.

Pay attention to this, as one major manufacturer charges much more for a cartridge with a Line Contact stylus as opposed to a Microline- and this within the same series of cartridge. The body is identical, but the stylus differs: pay more (much more) and get less. Caveat emptor. With the Hana M series one gets the best stylus available in this price range. The one outlier to surpass the Microline would be Ortofon’s Replicant stylus, but it isn’t available at double or even triple the price of the Hana.

The only thing I found lacking with the presentation of the MH (and I assume this applies to the entire Hana line) is that there were no instructions or advice regarding stylus cleaning and care. I assume that because they supply a brush and do not sell their own liquid cleaner (as some other manufacturers do) that they do not recommend wet cleaning. Still, some information (or a warning) in the instructions would be a wise idea.

Setup

The Hana MH is easy to install, and a good match for the arm on my MoFi Ultradeck. Tracking force was set at the recommended 2 grams with a digital gauge. VTA was set carefully- it is correct with both the head shell and the bottom of the cartridge body parallel to the record. While it works fine at 40dB gain (a common value for many MM phono stages) I preferred 46 dB, which gave quieter cut albums some extra gusto- Paul McCartney’s “Thrillington” and Loreena McKennitt’s “Book of Secrets” come immediately to mind. The McKennitt record should really have been spread across two discs- 53 minutes of full range dynamic music crammed across two sides necessitated cutting the album at a lower than normal amplitude. Alignment was achieved via my trusty MoFi GeoDisc- I’ve used the same one for over 3 decades.

A word on azimuth. I’m super picky about this adjustment. Looking from the front of the cartridge (actually you want to see the stylus tip with a jeweler’s loupe or even better a USB microscope) you want the stylus to be straight up and down- perpendicular to the groove, not leaning left or right. If azimuth is off, so is tracking ability and channel balance, which affects stereo separation. The Ultradeck arm has the ability to make this adjustment. Not all arms do. If you see my system in my profile, you’ll notice I have a Jolida FOZ XTR ($379). This neat device allows two things. First, it allows azimuth adjustment to be made electrically- perfect for those who have arms that offer no physical adjustment. Even for those who can make the physical adjustment, it allows for extreme fine tuning. But it does one more thing that is very important- it is basically a crosstalk rejection device. It allows adjustment so that left channel signal doesn’t bleed into the right channel and vice versa. With my Grado Gold3 cartridge, the left channel requires almost no correction, but the right does. There is some crosstalk between the coils inside the cartridge body. With the Hana MH, no correction was necessary whatsoever. This tells me two things: first, my setup is spot on. Second, the Hana MH is manufactured to a very high standard. Electrically, it is perfect.

Math, physics, and electrical flow doesn’t tell us anything about how a cartridge will sound so let’s move forward.

Listening

I had a tough time with this section of the review. Why? The Hana MH doesn’t sound like anything. Its big bold and super dynamic, if the music dictates. Or not- it can be dainty and delicate. It isn’t warm though, unless the record is. That’s not to say it’s cold, because it isn’t. It’s a true chameleon, just relaying whatever is in the grooves. This has been a really fun experience, because I’ve learned that some albums sound better than I thought, including one that I’ve always avoided playing. I loved the music but hated the sound.

45FE4FD1-9A4B-4702-89E3-1D09B0E39606.jpeg

Let’s visit one of the worst sounding records in my collection- one that honestly pisses me off. The Rolling Stones released Exile on Main Street in 1972, and I have the 1994 reissue. If it sounds like anything, it sounds like oozing mud looks. No matter what gear I’ve bad since I bought it, it just doesn’t sound good. The bass is bloated- badly. No matter what pressing of this album one may have, it is not going to sound great. But the MH at least made it enjoyable. I listened front to back. Usually I get irritated and don’t make it all the way through. It was much less muddy with the MH. Its never going to sound great though- I’m thinking the lackluster sound originates with the master tape. And it’s a shame, because the music is brilliant- it deserves better. The MH made my copy more enjoyable (and less irritating) than any other cartridge I’ve played with it, including a Dynavector DV20XL and a Zu/Denon DL-103- both cartridges I owned at one point.

2A529140-AF51-4149-8EEF-98010095AC54.jpeg

One night, I found myself in the mood for some “world music”. Off to my record room, I came back with Otros Aries’ 4- Big Man Dancing. These guys are from Argentina and have invented their own kind of music- tango for the 21st century. Some of ofthe tracks have an EDM vibe. Actually, the accordion (!) figures in prominently. Turn the wick up a bit and they sound better here at home with the MH than they did when I saw them live on their first US tour. There’s some subterranean bass on the album, and the MH really let it come through. The male voices were absolutely perfect. I’d kill for their second album Dos to be released on vinyl, and I’d love to hear it with the MH.

9F493DA2-73B8-40AB-B9CC-994AAA2BA25C.jpeg

If you have watched my posts over the years, you know I love The Beatles. I own 4 copies of Abbey Road- the 1979 MoFi, a 1982 UK pressing along with the 2012 remaster (which is pretty dreadful) and the recent Giles Martin remaster. If you’ve read any reviews of the remaster, they all say Paul’s bass and Ringo’s percussion have been bumped up in the mix. The Hana proved that while this may be true, it’s not to the extent that one is led to believe. What the MH brought out was George’s lead guitar tone. It’s especially obvious on “Octopus’s Garden.” This album is burned into my DNA at this point- I know it backwards and forwards. The version with the exaggerated bass (and highs) would be the MoFi, which was mastered by the late Stan Ricker. He was a bassist, and bumped up the bass on almost everything he did. Not that the MoFi sounds bad- it doesn’t. But the MH proves the Giles Martin remaster to be the best sounding, followed by the MoFi, my UK copy and then the 2012. Listening with my Grado, I would have said the newest remaster was third, giving the MoFi the top slot. And I would have missed the true beauty of Harrison’s efforts. The Giles Martin remaster also brings extra clarity which is missing from the other three copies I have. I didn’t really pick up on this until listened with the MH.

47024271-51F1-4A59-A7F6-BBC07AAE4474.jpeg

Let’s finish up with a very ‘80s album, but a quite weird one- Fun Boy Three’s self titled debut. This album is so different from any other in my growing collection. One day I woke up and had “The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum” stuck in my head and for the life of me I don’t know why. Off to Discogs I went. Not a NM or NM- copy to be had in the US. I finally rolled the dice and selected a copy from Belgium. It showed up tonight, in beautiful condition. A quick clean on the VPI and off to the table it went. It’s not a great sounding album in the Hi Fi sense, or any other, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the music. The Hana ML won’t sugar coat anything, but at the same time, it doesn’t limit one to only listening to sonic blockbusters either.

The thing that really hit me after listening to the Hana MH for quite a bit (and about twice as long as my agreement with the US distributor- my apologies) was not once did I ever wish for more or less of something. Tonally, it’s the most perfect cartridge I’ve ever heard. And it is not the most expensive I’ve heard (by far) and I’ve previously owned cartridges that now are in the same price range as the Hana. The best compliment I can pay the MH is that with it in my system, I didn’t think about it at all. I just enjoyed listening to music.

Conclusion

The Hana MH is a very high quality cartridge, and a very good value considering the high level of performance. It simply gets out of the way and lets the music flow. Unlike some other cartridges, it does not seem to have a sound of its own; rather it takes on the sound of whatever record it is playing. It is completely neutral, without accentuating any frequency spectrum. The Microline stylus is an excellent tracker, and has the longest stylus life of any available type. Considering what else is available in the price range, I’d put the Hana M Series at the top of the list for someone that wants to step up from a lower priced cartridge, or for someone who may be upgrading their turntable and wants a cartridge that they won’t want to upgrade from. Highly recommended without reservation.

Not on the market, but I don't think I read it, any chance of re-tipping/changing stylus? Or do they have an exchange program or something?

@HiFi Guy with the Jolida Foz— where in your chain does it go? After the preamp? Didn’t even know that existed…
Yes, after the preamp. Then you use the Analog Productions test record to set it up.

I can’t say it makes a huge difference. On the other hand I moved the dials once and threw everything off. I didn’t realize it, but I heard that something didn’t sound right. That’s when I noticed the knobs on the Jolida were way off.

Yes, after the preamp. Then you use the Analog Productions test record to set it up.

I can’t say it makes a huge difference. On the other hand I moved the dials once and threw everything off. I didn’t realize it, but I heard that something didn’t sound right. That’s when I noticed the knobs on the Jolida were way off.
Mostly curious because my TT doesn’t have an azimuth adjustment as far as I know…the Hana is really intriguing to me though potentially as my next cart.

@MikeH No azimuth adjustment. The only thing you can do with a Rega is put a bit of card stock between the cartridge and the headshell to adjust the tilt of the cartridge if necessary. Or the Foz. Or both.

Enjoyed the review, and this great forum which I just discovered while doing a deep search on the Hana MH. I just sat down for a first listen to mine. I bought the MH because I plan on bringing the particular deck I installed it on to my bakery/cafe. Our bakery system (we've grown to include a full service restaurant, bar, and many audio zones) is a sprawling stereo (and mono depending on the zone) monster! Any way, the equipment there is all pretty good and for a commercial space it's really great. It includes units from the usual suspects: NAD, Jamo, Paradigm, Parasound, Axiom Audio, Dayton Audio, Sonos, Cambridge Audio...., it's really crazy and even includes some extremely long runs of good quality shielded coaxial cable terminated to RCA plugs. But what it doesn't have is a good enough phono-stage for the LOMC cart that was on my custom Rega. So I just replaced a Rega Apheta v.2 with the Hana MH and I'm floored.

The Apheta is a nice cart, but the Hana is just astounding me with its glowing energy, incredible bass, and its extreme precision. I'm going to have a hard time moving it out of my living room now, and am seriously contemplating selling the Ortofon Cadenza Black that's paired with my Luxman PD-171A. I might have to spring for a Hana ML, the sound is so beguiling and magical. The phono-stage in my main system is a Luxman EQ-500 and amplification is a nice integrated: an Accuphase E-470. And my speakers are ATC HTS 40's (Same as the SCM 40's but with different enclosures.)

Really enjoyed your nice write up,
Regards,
Oran

what would the difference be between the ML and MH.. i hear many say low output is better but I don't think i'd have a step up transformer for the mani for a while (I am thinking of possibly getting a hana S series in the future once I have a mofi studiodeck so I wanna know if I should also save up on the preamp for the "buying my last upgrades") situation

Back