Figuring out ohms

Jdiddlydawg

So I own this receiver Amazon product ASIN B078WFDR8D100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1 Kilo Hertz). Speaker impedance - 6–16 ohms

I want to get new speakers later this year, but I barely understand how ohms work. I found a calculator that says the 6ohms from two 80th anni Wharfedale Dentons would be too low for my receiver at 3ohms, and even the Diamond 220 Bookshelf Speakers are "8Ω Compatible, with a minimum impedance of 4.1Ω."

What range should I be looking for? Or do websites just list the combined ohms on the product page & I don't need to use a calculator?

So I own this receiver Amazon product ASIN B078WFDR8D100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1 Kilo Hertz). Speaker impedance - 6–16 ohms

I want to get new speakers later this year, but I barely understand how ohms work. I found a calculator that says the 6ohms from two 80th anni Wharfedale Dentons would be too low for my receiver at 3ohms, and even the Diamond 220 Bookshelf Speakers are "8Ω Compatible, with a minimum impedance of 4.1Ω."

What range should I be looking for? Or do websites just list the combined ohms on the product page & I don't need to use a calculator?
The overall impedance rating of the speaker is an average of the impedance across the frequency band. If the receiver is rated to support 6ohm impedance then you should be fine, though perhaps a 4ohm capable amplifier would drive them with more authority.

You might find this article helpful in explaining speaker impedance: What Speaker Impedance Means and Why It Matters

Back