Everything Video Games!

You might prefer Sekiro then. They did away with that mechanic and instead there aren't really levels and you just start back at a save point. There are a few that you have to get through some enemies before you get back to the boss, but many of them are right next to bosses. You have to be ok with learning to parry pretty well though.

I struggle ranking 2-4 but the 1st is definitely dead last. I think I played 2 after it came out as a rental, but otherwise slept on them. I played them all in a row a year or two ago and really enjoyed them.

Ha, I'm an idiot and didn't realize that post right before your list was yours too, sorry (and obviously missed Horizon)

I need to play Inside, A Night in the Woods, and Nier for sure.

Re: Cuphead, I don't have an Xbox and played it on PC with my Dualshock, it has pretty low specs:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher

My graphics card is a Geforce 6800, core 4 with way more memory than that. Was a cutting edge video editing rig five years ago. Time for a replacement at this point.

I can't say enough good things about Inside and will check back in as I play Nier.

My graphics card is a Geforce 6800, core 4 with way more memory than that. Was a cutting edge video editing rig five years ago. Time for a replacement at this point.

I can't say enough good things about Inside and will check back in as I play Nier.
Inside is great.

I kind of liked Nier Automata bit feel like I didn’t like it enough. I got some of the endings but lost steam. The story was fun enough but I found the gameplay repetitive.

I started playing Spider-Man on the third highest difficulty, as that's what it suggested, but then I realized I care more about the story and swinging around being a super hero than a challenge...

I'm going to be that guy that plays games on easy from now on.

And because I got drunk with a fellow nerd this weekend, I present you with my 50 favorite games of all-time and dare you to guess my age (I limited it to one game per series):

Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64, Xbox)
The Last of Us (PS3)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
GTA 5 (PS3, 360)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Super Mario Wii (Wii)
Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Persona 5 (PS4)
Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3)
Mirror's Edge (360, PS3)

Inside (Current Gen Indie)
Jade Empire (Xbox)
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox, GC, PS2)
WWF: No Mercy (N64)
Fallout 3 (360, PS3)
Harvest Moon 64 (N64)
Killer 7 (GC)
Time Splitters 2 (GC = best version)
ESPN 2K5 (Xbox, PS2)

Zelda: OOT (N64)
Beyond Good and Evil (GC, PS2? Xbox)
Eternal Darkness (GC)
Worms Armegeddon (Dreamcast, N64)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Pokemon: Red/Blue (Gameboy)
Turtles in Time (SNES)
Fight Night: Round 3 (360/PS3)
Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox)
Max Payne (Xbox/PS2)

Tony Hawk: Underground (Xbox/GC/PS2)
Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Rez (Dreamcast)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
NBA Jam: Turbo Edition (Genesis/SNES/Gamegear)
Super Smash Brothers Mele (GC)
Golden Eye: 007 (N64)
Super Monkey Ball 2 (GC)

Winning Eleven 8 (Xbox)
Limbo (360/PS3)
Vanquish (360/PS3)
Assassins Creed 2 (360/PS3)
A Night in the Woods (Current Gen Indie)
Ico (PS2)
Marvel Vs. Capcom II (Dreamcast)
Tiny Tunes: Acne All-Stars (Genesis)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Virtual Tennis (Dreamcast)
Warioware Inc. (GC)

I listed the console that it was originally released on. Though with Conkers I included the Xbox raster because it holds up and the N64 one is tough to play (even if it's multiplayer was vastly superior and it is considered the better version due to Microsoft censoring portions of the game). Oh and with Mass Effect I listed the 360 because who the hell wants to play that series without access to the first game.

Also, if anyone has rec's for me from this generation based off this list, I'm all ears. I'm fairly well informed but have been incredibly disappointed by most of the releases I've looked forward to (Mirrors Edge 2, Fallout 4 which was basically Borderlands, No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromana, exc).
I'm with you on that last sentence, especially Fallout 4 and Andromeda. I still put a ton of time into FO4, but it was just meh. I actually liked 76 better honestly.

As for recommendations, the current gen stuff I've been really enjoying are mostly indie, but there's a few AAA titles as well. Also, most are platformers.

Ori and the Blind Forest
Shovel Knight
The Messenger
Yoku's Island Messenger
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Oxenfree
God of War (the newest one)

That's just a small sampling. I'm going to start working on my top 50 now.

I'm with you on that last sentence, especially Fallout 4 and Andromeda. I still put a ton of time into FO4, but it was just meh. I actually liked 76 better honestly.

As for recommendations, the current gen stuff I've been really enjoying are mostly indie, but there's a few AAA titles as well. Also, most are platformers.

Ori and the Blind Forest
Shovel Knight
The Messenger
Yoku's Island Messenger
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Oxenfree
God of War (the newest one)

That's just a small sampling. I'm going to start working on my top 50 now.
I really need to get a switch so I can play those two. I've never had two consoles at once though and with our budget being tight, I am having a hard time talking myself into it. If my wife was more supportive than simply tolerant of my video game hobby, maybe I could count on a gift. :ROFLMAO:

I like making lists, so here's my top 50 games, mostly in no particular order. The first 5 are my all time favs in order, but after that, it's as they were remembered. Like @DownIsTheNewUp I'll keep it to one game per series, otherwise there would be a lot more Mario games here. If the game was on multiple platforms, I'll list the one I played it on.

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
Final Fantasy III (SNES) - or VI if you prefer. The one with Kefka.
The Binding of Isaac (PC)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch).
Luigi's Mansion (Gamecube)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Rocket Knight Adventure (Genesis)
Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbone)
Bioshock (360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)

Halo 3 (360)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Resident Evil (PS1) - Scared the shit out of me as a kid, but at the same time started my love for horror. Also worth noting, the Gamecube remake is the better experience, I just played on PS1 first.
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Oxenfree (Xbone)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA). I had a tough time choosing on this one, but I think I enjoyed these the most.
Red Dead Redemption (360)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Fallout 3 (PC)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Alan Wake (360)
Stardew Valley (PC)
DDR (Arcade)
Hollow Knight (PC). Played first on PC, but had issues with controller. Re-bought on Switch, which is were the majority of my playtime was.
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
Braid (360)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Undertale (PC)

Half Life 2 (PC)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Diablo 2 (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
Beyond Good and Evil (Xbox)
Rayman Legends (Xbone)
Celeste (Xbone)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Titanfall 2 (Xbone)

Dragon Age (360)
Skate 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Medievil (PS1)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Myst (PC)
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey (PS1)
Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS)
Bastion (360)
Golden Axe (Arcade)

I like making lists, so here's my top 50 games, mostly in no particular order. The first 5 are my all time favs in order, but after that, it's as they were remembered. Like @DownIsTheNewUp I'll keep it to one game per series, otherwise there would be a lot more Mario games here. If the game was on multiple platforms, I'll list the one I played it on.

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Bioshock (360)

Halo 3 (360)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Resident Evil (PS1) - Scared the shit out of me as a kid, but at the same time started my love for horror. Also worth noting, the Gamecube remake is the better experience, I just played on PS1 first.
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Oxenfree (Xbone)
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA). I had a tough time choosing on this one, but I think I enjoyed these the most.
Fallout 3 (PC)

Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Alan Wake (360)
Stardew Valley (PC)
DDR (Arcade)
Hollow Knight (PC). Played first on PC, but had issues with controller. Re-bought on Switch, which is were the majority of my playtime was.
Braid (360)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Undertale (PC)

Half Life 2 (PC)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Diablo 2 (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
Rayman Legends (Xbone)
Celeste (Xbone)
Titanfall 2 (Xbone)

Dragon Age (360)
Skate 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Medievil (PS1)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Myst (PC)
Bastion (360)
Golden Axe (Arcade)

I love that you slapped Banjo-Kazooie up there. It really was a magical game.

Someday I may take a crack at my own, smaller version of such a list. My problem is that my gaming skipped several consoles generations (I played very few games from 2002 through 2017, when I finally caved and admitted to my wife that I missed the hell out of gaming, and got a client to buy me a Switch in lieu of payment). I will definitely include multiple entries from the same series.

Someday I may take a crack at my own, smaller version of such a list. My problem is that my gaming skipped several consoles generations (I played very few games from 2002 through 2017, when I finally caved and admitted to my wife that I missed the hell out of gaming, and got a client to buy me a Switch in lieu of payment). I will definitely include multiple entries from the same series.
I've always debated between Banjo and FFIII for my favorite game. I've recently settled the debate based on playability. I can jump in and play Banjo for a little nostalgia, or even 100% in a couple days. The story in FFIII is way better, but it's a big commitment to complete a play through. If I need to scratch the nostalgia itch, I'm grabbing Banjo every time.

If I hadn't played so many games, I would have considered multiples in a series. I felt Mario alone would have bumped a bunch of other titles worthy of praise from the list though. In fact, I kept Mario to a single title, otherwise Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Bros. (Atari), Super Mario World, Mario Land 2 (GB), Mario RPG, and Paper Mario 1 or 2 would all be on the list.

Maybe I should do a top 10 or 20 Mario games...

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Bioshock (360)

Halo 3 (360)
Borderlands 2 (360)
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Oxenfree (Xbone)
Fallout 3 (PC)

Shenmue (Dreamcast)
Alan Wake (360)
Stardew Valley (PC)
DDR (Arcade)
Braid (360)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Undertale (PC)

Half Life 2 (PC)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Diablo 2 (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
Rayman Legends (Xbone)
Celeste (Xbone)
Titanfall 2 (Xbone)

Dragon Age (360)
Skate 2 (360)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
Medievil (PS1)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Myst (PC)
Bastion (360)
Golden Axe (Arcade)

I've always debated between Banjo and FFIII for my favorite game. I've recently settled the debate based on playability. I can jump in and play Banjo for a little nostalgia, or even 100% in a couple days. The story in FFIII is way better, but it's a big commitment to complete a play through. If I need to scratch the nostalgia itch, I'm grabbing Banjo every time.

If I hadn't played so many games, I would have considered multiples in a series. I felt Mario alone would have bumped a bunch of other titles worthy of praise from the list though. In fact, I kept Mario to a single title, otherwise Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Bros. (Atari), Super Mario World, Mario Land 2 (GB), Mario RPG, and Paper Mario 1 or 2 would all be on the list.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are to this day my favorite video games. 'Magical' is a fantastic way to describe them. Banjo-Kazooie was the first console game I owned and I must have spent hours over that game. Even today just thinking about it makes me happy.

I actually recently picked up Yooka-Laylee (im on the 3rd world now) as its made by the same team and has the same mechanics. It doesn't have the same spark as Banjo-Kazooie (for me anyway) but its so incredibly similar in its play-ability, story, mechanics etc, that it holds a certain charm. Worth the pick up if you are a Bonjo-Kazooie fan!

Banjo-Kazooie is one of those games where the world it crafted was so amazing to get lost in. When I first played it, I remember being completely absorbed and swept away to this new and magical place, it felt so fresh. It deserves a place on everyone's list!

I'd be happy to see your Mario rankings. I definitely need to play more of them. Super Mario Galaxy 2 wouldn't make it? I loved that one. I need to get the other Wii ones. Definitely need to play Mario RPG since I have it on the SNES classic.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are to this day my favorite video games. 'Magical' is a fantastic way to describe them. Banjo-Kazooie was the first console game I owned and I must have spent hours over that game. Even today just thinking about it makes me happy.

I actually recently picked up Yooka-Laylee (im on the 3rd world now) as its made by the same team and has the same mechanics. It doesn't have the same spark as Banjo-Kazooie (for me anyway) but its so incredibly similar in its play-ability, story, mechanics etc, that it holds a certain charm. Worth the pick up if you are a Bonjo-Kazooie fan!

A couple years back I got the family N64 from my parents, which included my Banjo carts. It still had my old saves. The main file had over 40 hours logged, and that was after starting over! When I was a kid, my brother had a friend over, and he accidentally erased my first save that was about 80% complete. I was mad at first, but after a while realized it was a great excuse to jump back in and play the whole thing again. Younger me spent a LOT of time just exploring every nook and cranny. I played through it last year, and got 100% in just under 8 hours.

I had a lot of fun with Yooka-Laylee. A few of the Rextro games got frustrating, but only because they emulated the games they are based on so well. Otherwise, the game controlled well and had some interesting mechanics. You can cover an insane amount of ground quickly and with a single jump. I think what hurt it the most critically was the level design. I thought the expanding world mechanic was a neat idea, but most didn't. At the same time, bigger wasn't better here. Banjo shined so bright because the level design was more compact and well utilized. Yooka (and many modern collect-a-thons) stuggle with having big open areas that are mostly empty.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of those games where the world it crafted was so amazing to get lost in. When I first played it, I remember being completely absorbed and swept away to this new and magical place, it felt so fresh. It deserves a place on everyone's list!

I couldn't agree more. The level design alone puts it above Mario 64 for me. Mario had really fun controls and a perceived faster pace, but Banjo's design was better. I vividly remember every single Banjo level, and the music associated with each, because they were perfectly paired. Mario had some fun levels, but some others that were very forgettable. The music was only partially tailored to each as well, and some of it was reused.

Speaking of the music, Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite composers. He's done some amazing work over the years, including reworking Mario AND Donkey Kong's music in the Mario & Rabbids game and DLC. His Twitter is always a delight, and I don't think there's anyone out there more proud of their work.

I got Overcooked 2 from the recent switch sale, and I'm hooked.
I have always heard good things about the Overcooked games but never looked into them at all. I beat Katana Zero yesterday, which was pretty fun so just started a couple more games that I got from that recent sale: Dance of the Necromancer (non-Zelda version) which I am kinda getting the hang of and NBA 2K19 which since I haven't tried to learn the controls yet I have no idea what the hell I am doing but it was $3.00, so how could I not buy it?

Back