Political Discussion

Fuck my dude, this...

This is classic Chris Cillizza clickbait garbage. This is the guy that does “think pieces” comparing the Presidential candidates to Game of Throne Characters. The guy is a hack. You should take most things he writes with a giant chunk of salt.

While true, the opinion piece is written off of actual data that shows that Florida and Nevada are moving in Trump's direction and links out the source of that data. So to me, it's not entirely clickbait garbage.

While true, the opinion piece is written off of actual data that shows that Florida and Nevada are moving in Trump's direction and links out the source of that data. So to me, it's not entirely clickbait garbage.
The piece should have ended with a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

The headline is “Is Donald Trump Making An Electoral College Comeback?” It then quotes two very reputable sources to show a tightening in two states (Amy Walters and G Elliott Morris are both fantastic) then states that that both sources show little change in their overall projections 52 days out from the election. Cillizza genius summation is that Trump could win re-election (duh) but Biden still remains the favorite at this point in the race.

Sorry if my remarks come off as harsh. My vitriol is meant solely for Cillizza, who is a very bad at political punditry and should not be apart of any good news organization.

Edit: Though I am a bit miffed you made me read a Chris Cillizza piece in it’s entirety.;)

Totally understandable. I think most Liberals are snake bit and overly pessimistic as a result of 2016. Personally I am very data driven and analytical when it comes to most things. I could go through lots of comps between 2016 and 2020 that are very good (at the moment) for Biden. Most polling for the 2018 elections was very on point also.
Also, it’s not any great insight. EVERY election is down to Dem turnout, because of small red states with disproportionate electoral influence and gerrymandered districts in down-ballot races. To say an election will come down to Dem turnout is just to acknowledge that the system is configured to be more favorable to what is actually the minority party.

Someone apparently mailed Trump a later containing ricin, the FBI, CIA and Secret Service are investigating. The letter was discovered at an offsite screening facility.

In other news. Trump says he will announce his SCOTUS nominee within the next week and that it will be a women.

Apparently if Trump and McConnell move forward with filling the open seat on the SCOTUS most Americans would be okay with it.

But Americans writ large might be okay with McConnell moving ahead now, despite the hypocrisy. In a Marquette University poll conducted in the days before Ginsburg died majorities of Republicans and Democrats said the Senate should conduct hearings and a vote on a Trump nominee. Just about a third of those polled said hearings should not be held.
More than three quarters of those surveyed (78%) said a Senator voting against a Court nominee because of the political party of the president who appointed them is not justified. And a majority said a nominee should not be opposed because of their views on political issues.

Essentially, most Americans feel like the SCOTUS nominees should not be political. 2/3 believe the hearings should be held.

Susan Collins is no on the camp that there should not be a vote until after the election. Democrats would only need 2 more Republicans to come over to their side to block the nominee.

In urging a quick confirmation, Trump said he disagreed with the statement by Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, that the winner of the presidential election should pick the next justice. "We have an obligation," Trump said. "We won. And we have an obligation as the winners to pick who we want."

"We won"? I really hate Trump and the GOP.

Someone apparently mailed Trump a later containing ricin, the FBI, CIA and Secret Service are investigating. The letter was discovered at an offsite screening facility.

In other news. Trump says he will announce his SCOTUS nominee within the next week and that it will be a women.

Apparently the letter originates from Canada. The FBI asked Canadian law enforcement for help with the investigation.

Chuck Todd is interviewing Senator John Barrasso on Meet The Press this morning.

When asked about moving the confirmation forward. He said the democrats would do the same if they were in power right now. When Chuck Todd challenged him and said you can't know that, he responded with "They did in 2016".

Basically I'm hearing this is an eye for an eye thing. The dems did it in 2016, so we should do it in 2020. This is how they are skirting around the hypocrisy of what they did in 2016. As if February verses September doesn't make any difference.

He also said if the Presidency and The Senate are controlled by the same party, nominees move forward during an election year. That's how things work.

Barrasso also said it's important to move forward with the nominee now because the democrats are on the war path the seize control of the government. If they win both the senate and presidency they will pack the senate with more democrats by making DC and Puerto Rico states. They will also politicize the supreme court by packing it with liberals by adding more seats. They need to be stopped, are not playing fair and politicizing everything to get an unfair advantage to seize power.

The two most likely choices for Trump's SCOTUS nominee are both very much against abortion.

Susan Collins is no on the camp that there should not be a vote until after the election. Democrats would only need 2 more Republicans to come over to their side to block the nominee.

This is just what Collins does unfortunately, she says this at the start and then inevitably backs down and falls in line with the party. I have zero doubt that she will "change her mind" very soon.

Apparently if Trump and McConnell move forward with filling the open seat on the SCOTUS most Americans would be okay with it.
They actually polled after RBG’s passing and it t turns out that a majority would prefer NOT to have the seat filled. Obviously this is just one poll and I am sure more will show up over the next few weeks but I tend to think more people will be bothered by this especially due the the circumstances and hypocrisy than when it was just a hypothetical.

If you read Collins carefully worded statement she states that she would be opposed to a vote taking place (but that isn’t her decision to make, that is up to Cocaine Mitch) but she does not state that she would vote “no” or abstain if a vote did occur. Meaning she is just as callow an feckless as she was during the Kavannaugh nomination.

If they win both the senate and presidency they will pack the senate with more democrats by making DC and Puerto Rico states. They will also politicize the supreme court by packing it with liberals by adding more seats.
If they had balls these would be the first moves the Democrats should make if elected To the majority (also I would add ending the Fillibuster to the list as well). But I am sure the Moderate Democrats Senators from Colorado and Arizona and VV (and hopefully NC, IA an MT) will probably make it very difficult for the status quo to be upended unfortunately.

If they had balls these would be the first moves the Democrats should make if elected To the majority (also I would add ending the Fillibuster to the list as well). But I am sure the Moderate Democrats Senators from Colorado and Arizona and VV (and hopefully NC, IA an MT) will probably make it very difficult for the status quo to be upended unfortunately.

My bad, that was on his list. I forgot to mention it in my recap. But yes, the Dems should eliminate the Fillibuster.

Just heard on the Today show that one of the cards the Dems hold to delay the nomination is to impeach Trump and force the senate to hold a Trial before voting on Trump's Nominee.

In the event of this scenario, could Mitch McConnell say we won't hold a trial?

Back