Political Discussion

Oh hey, it's my local congressman!
This take is bad because the highest victims of Covid, BIPOC folks, likely didn't vote red, and are suffering the consequences of their psychopathic right wing reps. That Dems are okay with people in red states suffering because of the actions of their politicians is not good and won't win them any favors.

This take is bad because the highest victims of Covid, BIPOC folks, likely didn't vote red, and are suffering the consequences of their psychopathic right wing reps. That Dems are okay with people in red states suffering because of the actions of their politicians is not good and won't win them any favors.

Yeah, I agree it's not a good take. But he is accurately summing up what the people here actually think. I have felt that general consensus from people in this area for a month or two. I think he is bringing to light what the populous of New England is actually thinking. And hopefully that attention works to make people take a step back and think about it.

Explain this to me.

I get the need for ADA and support it fully. But some situations I just don't understand.

For example, things built before the current ADA requirement that on grandfathered in. But if they do any work at that location they are required to bring everything up to ADA standards. That part I'm fine with with the exception of the following situation. When something has existed for a long period of time, and the space is not available to properly convert convert something like a pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks at a station to be ADA compliant. It would be impossible to do so due to the space limitations.

So what do they do. They remove said pedestrian bridge for all because it's not ADA compliant. And that said pedestrian bridge provided vital access for a community to the train station.

I'm not a fan of if it can't be made ADA compliant it must be removed. Why do they do things that way?

Trump said late Friday night that he will ban TikTok in the United States.

TikTok, formally Musicaly was a US based company bought by a Chinese company. All data is stored on US servers. But Trump feels there is a national security threat because TikTok is owned by a Chinese Parent Company.

Trump says he will likely issue an emergency economic powers or executive order to force TikTok to cease operations in the United States.

Trump said late Friday night that he will ban TikTok in the United States.

TikTok, formally Musicaly was a US based company bought by a Chinese company. All data is stored on US servers. But Trump feels there is a national security threat because TikTok is owned by a Chinese Parent Company.

Trump says he will likely issue an emergency economic powers or executive order to force TikTok to cease operations in the United States.
I mean, there’s a lot of problems about this but he’s actually not wrong about TikTok being evil.

I mean, there’s a lot of problems about this but he’s actually not wrong about TikTok being evil.

I don't think our country should have the right to say what social media platforms we can and can not use. Doing so is a step towards censorship and totalitarianism.

Also, my twitter feed is full of people saying Trump will ban TikTok, but not the KKK. And that they see where his priorities are.

Just heard about how Trump could actually ban TikTok in the United States.

The order would likely list TikTok on an economic list that US companies can't do business with. This means that the app would have to be deplatformed on Apple's App Store or Google Play. The app would remain on peoples phones and be usable. They just wouldn't be able to get updates and new users couldn't download it. This action would also pull all advertising from TikTok.

What's even scarier, is this would create an issue globally where Apple or Google could not do business with TikTok if it lands on an economic sanction list.

Trump legally can't ban the app use like China can. The United States has no measures of enforcing that or controlling network data such as China's Great Firewall.

Bannering TikTok is feeding right into his campaign of being tough of China. Meanwhile, a bigger threat from Russia exists and Trump continues to try to stay in Favor of Putin.

Trump has rejected Microsoft's offer to buy TikTok from the Chinese parent company that currently owns TikTok.

Ah, so the real reason comes out as to why Trump wants to ban TikTok and wants to take action.

Sure, there is always the potential that China in the future could spy on user data, but here is the real reason Trump is having a spat at TikTok.

Teens trolled him on it. A viral trent on TikTok, where users made reservations for Trump's rally with no intentions of going. Trump thought millions would come to his really. He had been punked by teenagers.

No Press allowed at the Republican National Convention.
As always, he abides by rules when they benefit him, or in this case, punish those who are mean to him, lol. If my wildest dreams could only kick in and the reason he doesn't want press there is because he's afraid he won't get the nomination, would bring on a silent chuckle and a smile to my face ;)

Firearm sales on the rise amid pandemic
In Florida, nearly 184,000 background checks for purchases, transfers in June

By Dana Cassidy
Typically, about one in 10 shoppers who buy firearms at The Armories is a first-time gun buyer. These days, it’s closer to half, said Robbie Motes, who owns the chain of Central Florida gun stores.
Motes has seen a major spike in sales — and new gun owners — since March, when the coronavirus pandemic erupted. It’s not a local phenomenon: Americans are purchasing guns at record high numbers, with 7.8 million background checks reported nationwide from March through June.
“We had no idea this was going to happen,” Motes said. “Nobody has ever seen a pandemic like this.”
Gun sales often spike during times of political or social upheaval, which makes 2020 the perfect storm: The presidency is on the November ballot, the pandemic has killed hundreds of thousands of people worldwide and sent U.S. jobless rates soaring, and the Minneapolis killing of George Floyd by police sparked mass protests across the country.
In Florida, nearly 184,000 background checks for gun sales and transfers took place in June, more than double the monthly total from last year and more than any other month in 2019 or 2020 so far, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
March, April, May and June all saw decade-high background check totals.
The number of background checks increased from about 88,000 in March 2019 to more than 169,000 in March 2020, the FDLE said. The numbers also jumped from about 72,000 in April 2019 to more than 120,000 this April.
A study from the Brookings Institution found that an extra 3 million firearms were sold between March to June. A large amount of the sales happened following the nationwide protests.
With the election fast approaching, it’s likely the upward trend will continue, Motes said. He said the challenge he and other firearm professionals face is ensuring first-time buyers are properly educated on handling a gun.
He said safety device sales have also increased by about 500% in recent months.
“We’ve really done our best to take time with each individual ... to make sure sure it’s out of unauthorized people’s hands,” he said.
Hernan Gonzalez, 42, of St. Cloud never felt the need to purchase a firearm until now. In light of current events, he fears for the safety of his wife and children and plans to buy a gun as a means of self protection.
“It’s the pandemic, it’s the state of affairs politically, so much uncertainty, financial uncertainty with everyone,” Gonzalez said.
His said his biggest concern is someone trying to harm or steal from his family.
Amid so much unrest, he wants to be prepared.
“This is something I have not considered, ever, in my 40-plus years in being on this Earth,” he said. “And that’s how bad it is, or how bad it feels.”
But as gun sales rise, the number of concealed carry permit requests are down in recent months in comparison to last year, according to the Florida Department of Agriculture.
About 18,600 permit requests were submitted in April 2019 while fewer than 11,000 were requested this April, according to the department’s numbers. May of last year saw more than 21,000 permit requests, while only about 5,300 were seen this year.
June followed a similar trend, with about 18,800 permit requests in 2019 and only about 10,300 requests in 2020. The cause for the dip is unclear.
Increased gun sales don’t always translate to a higher proportion of the population owning guns, said Gary Kleck, professor emeritus of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University. And there isn’t always a rational explanation as to why people buy more guns during times like these.
With the pandemic and nationwide Black Live Matters protests this summer, it’s likely tied to an overall increase in anxiety, he said.
“Life has changed,” Kleck said.
Taylor Mixon, a 30-year-old “shooting enthusiast” and firearms collector from Winter Haven, said all retailers in his area and online stores are selling out as soon as they receive stock. He said he stocked up on ammunition a few days before President Donald Trump’s impeachment hearing finished, so he’s not too worried.
“I don’t feel as lacking as many of my friends who are searching around desperately and getting price gouged,” he said.
Edwin Benton, a political science professor at the University of South Florida, said he isn’t surprised to see gun sales spiking. Historically, it happens whenever there is violence, a public assassination or spike in lawlessness.
Along with the pandemic, activists’ demands to disband or defund the police agencies may have citizens wondering how they’ll protect themselves in case of an emergency, he said.
“It’s a natural impulse,” Benton said. “It’s an instinct of people to purchase firearms or at least give serious consideration to purchasing.”

I can't say that I'm not surprised.

You can add my father to those who have seen this video and shared it. Even with the fact check / partially false label my father truly believes that this is the truth, and that there is something medically wrong with Nancy Pelosi and she is unfit for her position.

When I point out the label, my father dismisses it as "fake news". Facebook, Twitter and so on have a liberal agenda and that I need to get my facts elsewhere.

Locally, there were a lot of people moving over the weekend. And I have heard from others in other cities that they noticed the same thing.

A lot of people who live in apartments are moving back in with their parents to cut costs. They can't afford rent with the current job market. A lot of leases are for students or people who signed a lease on 8/1 previously, which tends to be one of the biggest moving dates / availability of units in college communities.

Back