Political Discussion

If I can counter every example of him supposedly being a good guy with an example of sexual impropriety, xenophobia, homophobia, desire to deny healthcare to people despite being a cancer survivor himself, efforts to encourage people to get sick during a pandemic, and so on, how long would we have to go before we stopped trying to be a moral scold about him?

I’ll let the echo chamber continue

Orange man bad !

I’ll let the echo chamber continue

Orange man bad !
Herman Cain was accused of sexually inappropriate behavior by half a dozen women almost a decade ago.

Herman Cain advocated for an electric fence at the border that would electrocuted anyone who tried to climb it TO DEATH.

Herman Cain wanted a federal ban on gay marriage to preserve the sanctity of marriage despite being unfaithful to his own wife.

Herman Cain had the hubris to run for PRESIDENT because he ran a pizza chain, but didn’t even know China was a nuclear power, and mocked nations like Uzbekistan.

His association with Trump didn’t make me think that maybe Herman Cain wasn’t a decent guy. Herman Cain did.

But hey, I’m sure he would have been cool to have a beer with.

it’s always been such a silly thought to me that you should speak differently about someone after they die.

Pointing out the fact that he mocked and dismissed the disease that ultimately killed him isn’t really dunking on him either 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's also equally silly to suggest that someone couldn't, wouldn't or doesn't feel empathy for someone's family after they pass because that person feels the person who passed was a shitty person. People feel more than one thing at once

Last edited:
It's also equally silly to suggest that someone couldn't, wouldn't or doesn't feel empathy for someone's family after they pass because that person feels the person who passed was a shitty person. People feel more than one thing at once
Exactly this. I actually AM generally in favor of giving grieving people some room before piling on, but don’t come in here telling me that I don’t remember what I saw and read with my own eyes 8 years ago when the guy tried to make his INdecency a goddamn selling point to become the most powerful person in the world.

And yeah, the orange man IS bad, and Herman Cain helped to lay the groundwork for him and businessmen-cum-politicians of his ilk. And he used the popularity of that type of politics to grift useful idiots for the rest of his life until the day it backfired and killed him.

The question is, why aren’t we at a point where you (the royal you) take this more seriously than this pretend centrist “orange man bad!” superiority complex? The threats to you, me, our families, and our very country are imminent. Stop riding the fence because somebody was a donor to his college or a doting granddad or gave an employee a generous bonus or liked to crack jokes or had friends with opposing ideologies or whatever.

I feel bad for his family. I feel bad for his family that Herman was so in the pocket for Trump that he took a very unfortunate and incredibly foolish risk because he was so pot committed in his right wing beliefs that he now leaves his family without a father, grandfather, husband, etc. I don't cheer his death. It's a damn tragedy, along with all the other 150,000 people that have needlessly died in this. Some from no fault of their own. Some from the sad belief that we had won this already and it wasn't that big a deal. There's a lot of people who aren't coming home because of this. And there's a lot of people coming home with health problems they will face for the rest of their lives. I would hope others who think Covid isn't that big a deal or that we've overreacted to it will take a moment to empathize with Cain's family who have to live through their loved one terrible decision to not take this seriously. Then I hope they start doing the right thing so we can't get through this.

The question is, why aren’t we at a point where you (the royal you) take this more seriously than this pretend centrist “orange man bad!” superiority complex? The threats to you, me, our families, and our very country are imminent. Stop riding the fence because somebody was a donor to his college or a doting granddad or gave an employee a generous bonus or liked to crack jokes or had friends with opposing ideologies or whatever.

100% The idea that some personal line of social or cultural decency is the measuring stick for the validity of everyone else's thoughts and comments is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous to lump everyone who oppose said measuring stick into some bucket of political lemmings. Yes the term bucket is intentional here.

This idea that because we operate in our bubbles that's why there is a lack of meaningful conversation, that really came to prominence in liberal circles after the Tea Party swooped into congress in 2010, is complete b.s., and founded in the trope that 'if only they were better educated they'd agree with me.' We don't have meaningful conversation for a variety of reasons but mostly it's because people can't get beyond the sense of shame associated with even the potential of being wrong. If we are unwilling to be wrong we can't learn, we can't truly empathize, and we can't truly converse. The idea that we need to regret or feel shame about our past choices and/or that we need to pick a team and stick with it for the rest of our lives drives the "bubble idea." Pick a fucking side, have an opinion and state what you think, and be willing to be wrong about it.

Here's what I feel an equal amount of empathy and disdain for: The swath of people who are seemingly unwilling to accept, or unwilling to take the time to educate themselves about, or willfully ignorant of facts that the current admin (and the people who tacitly or vocally prop up the admin) have injured, killed, screwed up people's lives financially, screwed with people's health (mental and physical), and profited off the back of perceived and real chaos. That same swath of people also seems to have a tendency to waffle about the president, the admin, and their policies being racist.

People are always entitled to their opinions and feelings. What they are not entitled to is intentional ignorance.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a bunch of the Trumpers and Trumpettes, QAnoners, and the like on FB posting shit like "You know who's lives don't matter? Pedophiles"

now, while I agree with the message all I can think is that they're the ones aggressively pushing the "No. ALL lives matter" narrative.

Where things stand
Via CNN's Haley Byrd, who stayed up late on the Hill Thursday night for this feed:
Negotiations between Meadows, Mnuchin, Pelosi and Schumer concluded Thursday night and the two sides remained far apart on a deal.
Mnuchin told reporters after the meeting that negotiators "made progress" on certain issues but remain at odds on others. He said the administration will continue to dialogue with Democrats "for as long as it takes" to reach an agreement
Meadows, meanwhile, said the Democratic leaders didn't receive their proposals "warmly."
Pelosi and Schumer confirmed that description, telling reporters the administration doesn't understand the scope of the action that is needed in the next stimulus bill or the gravity of the situation.
"Right now they don't get how serious the problem is," Schumer said. "Did we have a good discussion? Yes. Will we continue to discuss? Yes. Do we want to continue to come to an agreement? Absolutely. But it's got to meet the gravity of the problem."

So, in other words the republicans can't negotiate with the democrats and the democrats must meet all their demands. And they are placing all blame on the democrats.

I'm seeing a bunch of the Trumpers and Trumpettes, QAnoners, and the like on FB posting shit like "You know who's lives don't matter? Pedophiles"

now, while I agree with the message all I can think is that they're the ones aggressively pushing the "No. ALL lives matter" narrative.

I am so done with these people. We just have to accept they exist.

Wow, I didn't hear about this hack. Watch the associated video and see just how scary it is.

Wow, I didn't hear about this hack. Watch the associated video and see just how scary it is.
yeah this happened pretty recently. to me the scary thing is that people actually sent Bitcoin to them thinking it was legit.

Back