Political Discussion

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This article is behind a paywall, so you may not be able to view it.

But to sum it up, there is a company called "Clearview", which is an IS that has scraped over 3 billion photos from many sources including social media such as Facebook and Twitter. The AI is using the photos to identify individuals and have sold the software to police departments and other law enforcement agencies. The company may even offer the software to the public in the future.

The software has leaked and looked at and it appears it contains support for an AR headset that could display bubbles above people walking down the street with names and other information.

One thing that is important to note is the collections of peoples photos and other information from Twitter is against their terms of service. So not only does this software issue privacy concerns, it also completely disregards companies privacy policies in it's' data collection.
It's difficult to imagine that won't become illegal at some point. I mean, illegal in at least in the sense of civillians won't have access and the government's not going to be blatant about its use. This is like the bomb and the internet. That's never going to go back in the bag but hopefully we will figure out how to be unstupid about it. WISHFUL THINKING I REALIZE.

Sighs, can we stop attacking the progressive candidates and supporting big corporations.

Damn she is bitter, Bernie isn't the one who took PA, MI and WI for granted and lost to a reality star. I sucked it and voted for her even though I didn't like her like a lot of democrats did. She is not nearly as well liked as she thinks she is.

Damn she is bitter, Bernie isn't the one who took PA, MI and WI for granted and lost to a reality star. I sucked it and voted for her even though I didn't like her like a lot of democrats did. She is not nearly as well liked as she thinks she is.
I saw it posed at another site that this was an odd statement for her to make at this point.

Saying she won't commit to supporting him isn't likely to get people who currently support him to stop supporting him.
If Bernie wins the nomination, she has no option except to support him.
If he doesn't win the nomination, she'll be blamed. Again.

So it may be true that she feels this way personally, but I don't see the wisdom in saying it.

If you want to hear a decent discussion and perspective about what the current vote means to poc then give this a listen and pay attention.

They touch on a lot but one of the things in the discussion. One that hit home is the weaponization of "progressive" politics and the privelege associated with people calling themselves progressive, but choosing to view the democratic party and DJT in the same light.

I saw it posed at another site that this was an odd statement for her to make at this point.

Saying she won't commit to supporting him isn't likely to get people who currently support him to stop supporting him.
If Bernie wins the nomination, she has no option except to support him.
If he doesn't win the nomination, she'll be blamed. Again.

So it may be true that she feels this way personally, but I don't see the wisdom in saying it.
To get attention so she can make money off of the Hulu documentary?

I know I have a biased point of view bit it's like Trump's defense isn't even trying because they know they have the votes. Democrats are leaning out a thoughtful case and Trump's lawyers throw out rehetoric and have literally used the "But Obama" defense.

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This article is behind a paywall, so you may not be able to view it.

But to sum it up, there is a company called "Clearview", which is an IS that has scraped over 3 billion photos from many sources including social media such as Facebook and Twitter. The AI is using the photos to identify individuals and have sold the software to police departments and other law enforcement agencies. The company may even offer the software to the public in the future.

The software has leaked and looked at and it appears it contains support for an AR headset that could display bubbles above people walking down the street with names and other information.

One thing that is important to note is the collections of peoples photos and other information from Twitter is against their terms of service. So not only does this software issue privacy concerns, it also completely disregards companies privacy policies in it's' data collection.
Guess the only logical course of action for me is to grow a mustache and wear a ball cap and sunglasses wherever I go now.

considering Trump took issue with babies being born in the 9th month, or at least flubbed his repetition of a campaign lie that people were terminating pregnancies in the 9th month, I shouldn't be surprised that he is the first president to attend the March for "Life". sure, others offered tacit support, but I'm livid that this issue is a forever tug-of-war between old men that should shut the fuck up.

maybe I should be happy that I can still have a strong reaction in the face of the constant garbage avalanche, but right now I'm just gonna go have a beer.

also- Texas primary is March 3rd. I'll be traveling during early voting and on the actual date, so I just asked for an absentee ballot.

(for other Texans, the last day to register is February 3rd, so get on it if you ended up in this this thread without that voter card.)

Summary of the GOP's opening statements.

• There was nothing new / they didn't already know presented to them.
  • Democrats failed to provide any proof that the president actually broke a law

I love how the democrats then called the republicans back out (not on the floor but in public statements) that there is plenty of new evidence to present, but the senate voted against allowing it as part of the trial as it wasn't present when the articles of impeachment were signed.

They were also like not so fast. There was abuse of power and that's written into the constitution. The president doesn't have to break any law to abuse power.

And Trump responded by saying something about the radical left will never be happy with what we give them.

Fox News isn't even showing the trial today! No wonder they like to claim there's no evidence. They're literally ignoring it.

BTW, Pleasantly surprised with Adam Schiff. I've never seen him speak before besides presiding over the House Hearings.

My Dad... Is interested in politics so I've been getting an earful of it just because he has the radio on. I keep getting hung up on them pushing it as "He didn't commit a crime," blithely ignoring that impeachment is not a criminal proceeding as you could never, ever codify the entiretly of what makes a sitting president unfit for and abusive of the office. I just want someone - ANYONE - to ask on the floor or in public, not even in a "LET'S GET THIS FUCKER IMPEACHED" way but just as a thing to think about, "If this isn't an impeachable offense, then what is? What would you have to see to make you think he was unfit for the presidency?"

I think the republicans have again been smart in the impeachment - they’ve made everyone focus on the abuse of power charge (which to be fair is the reason we got here) but the obstruction of Congress article has much more weight to get the deed done. They’ve done this to the point where 2/3 of the managers’ opening statements have been over the abuse of power piece.

Unbelievable. A man gets a settlement in a race discrimination lawsuit and then when he goes to his bank to cash his settlement check the bank calls the police on him on the premise of thinking he's involved in fraudulent activity.

Watching the Impeachment Trial for the first time on live tv this morning. Wasn't able to watch it from work this week.

Trump's defense just has me shaking my head. A big bullet point in their argument is not a single witness testified that Trump did this or that or said that.

Really now. Didn't Trump order these witnesses to not testify in front of the house?

Like what. This is infuriating me.

Back