Political Discussion

What happened next is a modern pandemic parable that illustrates how the coronavirus is colliding with our fragile information ecosystem: a jumble of facts, falsehoods and viral rumors patched together from Twitter threads and shards of online news, amplified by armchair experts and professional partisans and pumped through the warp-speed accelerator of social media.

Zelenko’s treatment arrived at a useful moment for Trump and his media supporters, who have at times appeared more interested in discussing miracle cures than testing delays or ventilator shortages.

The U.S. Navy has relieved Captain Brett Crozier, the commanding officer of the Nimitz class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, which is presently in Guam amid a major outbreak of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus among its crew. Crozier wrote a damning letter to his superiors over the response to the outbreak, pleading to get the bulk of the sailors off the ship to avoid "tragic outcomes." The Acting Secretary of the Navy says the officer did not take adequate precautions to prevent the letter, which it also says included overly detailed information about his ship's readiness, from leaking to the press.

The Captain's request was denied by the Navy to allow sick sailors to leave the ship for treatment. Instead they were told to quarantine in place. The Captain said they do not have the infrastructure on the ship to allow for quarantining in place, especially for how many people are ill. Once again he was denied saying the ship must remain operational in case of need.

It sounds like someone on the crew leaked what was going on on the ship to the Media. And because of that, the Captain has been relieved of his duties.

This country is such a fucking mess, it's going to be a miracle if we ever get back to any assemblance of normalcy. The divide keeps getting bigger with each new thing that "might" discredit the pampas narcissist sitting in the White House, and I can't help but feel we've become exactly what the rest of the world always thought we were............just sad and infuriating.

This country is such a fucking mess, it's going to be a miracle if we ever get back to any assemblance of normalcy. The divide keeps getting bigger with each new thing that "might" discredit the pampas narcissist sitting in the White House, and I can't help but feel we've become exactly what the rest of the world always thought we were............just sad and infuriating.
I’m coming around more and more to the idea that the rest of the world was right all along and this circumstance is just pulling the wool from our own eyes finally.

The Captain's request was denied by the Navy to allow sick sailors to leave the ship for treatment. Instead they were told to quarantine in place. The Captain said they do not have the infrastructure on the ship to allow for quarantining in place, especially for how many people are ill. Once again he was denied saying the ship must remain operational in case of need.

It sounds like someone on the crew leaked what was going on on the ship to the Media. And because of that, the Captain has been relieved of his duties.

I heard this story on NPR this morning. Captain failed to follow the chain of command.

How a populist premier in Canada is turning his image around. Yes, this is the brother of the crack-smoking and deceased former mayor of Toronto.

How a populist premier in Canada is turning his image around. Yes, this is the brother of the crack-smoking and deceased former mayor of Toronto.

Yeah he’s getting re-elected for sure. It’s astoundingly simple: listen to experts, tell the truth, put people above money.

On January 29th Trump was warned a pandemic was looming that could cost trillions of dollars and would put millions of Americans lives at risk.

Trump wrote the thread off as "hoax".

The situation in Wisconsin today is an absolute fucking disgrace.
Tell me about it...I sent in for an absentee ballot that never came, so now im in a predicament if Im actually going to vote today. The hundreds of polling places in Milwaukee are reduced down to 5, so I have to go to some packed high school instead of the park down the block. Evers wanted to postpone this, but that got shot down by the supreme court

Tell me about it...I sent in for an absentee ballot that never came, so now im in a predicament if Im actually going to vote today. The hundreds of polling places in Milwaukee are reduced down to 5, so I have to go to some packed high school instead of the park down the block. Evers wanted to postpone this, but that got shot down by the supreme court
not worth it tbh

I know. And I know I would do exactly what they expect a lot of people to do, but it’s not worth risking anyone’s health over.
It's sort of an impossible calculus to do: all of us risk our health on one day, or give in to the chance of extending this incompetent leadership that puts us all at risk for another four years?

It's really a false choice: a government interested in actual democracy would be looking for ways to adapt the voting process to meet the demands of our present situation to reduce risk, not to reduce votes. That it isn't doing so tells me that the risk of coming out on Election Day might *really* be worth it.

This is such bullshit. I feel for you. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with. That being said if the government tried to disenfranchise my right to vote in such a way that voting could actually result in people dying I would do everything in my power to vote. I would do my best to hold these vile shitheads to account. Also, generationally speaking Republicans tend to be older. They are risking a large swath of their voting bloc in an attempt to tamp down the vote. Such garbage.

The other day while watching the task force press briefing, I remarked that when Trump ceded the podium to Dr. Fauci and just observed, he reminded me of the Silvio character from the Sopranos. Strange posture, strange gait, turning his torso to look out at the press instead of simply turning his head, jerking his arm up, etc. I agree with those who suspect he is in early stage of dementia and as it turns out, this physical behavior is further evidence. His unraveling seems to be accelerating and more clearly evident with each appearance. They just announced a new press secretary. Thinking about getting him off the stage?

The other day while watching the task force press briefing, I remarked that when Trump ceded the podium to Dr. Fauci and just observed, he reminded me of the Silvio character from the Sopranos. Strange posture, strange gait, turning his torso to look out at the press instead of simply turning his head, jerking his arm up, etc. I agree with those who suspect he is in early stage of dementia and as it turns out, this physical behavior is further evidence. His unraveling seems to be accelerating and more clearly evident with each appearance. They just announced a new press secretary. Thinking about getting him off the stage?
That would be smart politically but Trump loves the camera and no one will keep him away. The woman that they are bringing in, Kayleigh McEnany is not the type of person that will stand up to Trump in any way.

Back