Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Sooooooooo, THIS happened.

I recently purchased a reissue copy of Sonic Youth's Kill Yr Idols EP. Interestingly, the only modern variant that was NOT blocked from sale on Discogs was a silver/gray Zensor pressing from 2013. The seller was transparent with me about a dumb mistake he made: he used Goo Gone on the carboard printed sleeve to remove evidence of a price sticker and it left a stain. He then took what I though was a very fair amount of $$$ off the price, and I accepted the transaction.

The good news: the stain is BARELY visible!

The bad news: it's not the damn record I ordered.
I thought I was receiving a silver/gray Zensor pressing with unmarked silver labels... what came was a plain black disc with unmarked silver labels which, according to Discogs, the year origin is undetermined and IS BLOCKED FROM SALE ON DISCOGS.

This guy also made it clear in his initial e-mail that it was his first Discogs sale and please not leave negative feedback blah blah blah.

Sooooooooooo, as I see it, two options:

1. Be happy that I got a copy of the record at all, nevermind that it was at exactly what I would have been willing to pay for this version
OR
2. Raise hell

Thoughts?

What I was afraid of when they sent me the email a little while back with the "Artist Alerts" has come to fruition - I'm getting emails for artists and labels that I don't own any records from. The last one began "...since you have (whoever) in your collection/wantlist, we'd like to tell you about (insert over-priced release/variant/etc)" . Has this happened to any of you good people yet? This could easily get out of control. I'm going to block sender but that seems like it could become whack-a-mole.

What I was afraid of when they sent me the email a little while back with the "Artist Alerts" has come to fruition - I'm getting emails for artists and labels that I don't own any records from. The last one began "...since you have (whoever) in your collection/wantlist, we'd like to tell you about (insert over-priced release/variant/etc)" . Has this happened to any of you good people yet? This could easily get out of control. I'm going to block sender but that seems like it could become whack-a-mole.
I mean, you could just, you know, turn the feature off...

Sooooooooo, THIS happened.

I recently purchased a reissue copy of Sonic Youth's Kill Yr Idols EP. Interestingly, the only modern variant that was NOT blocked from sale on Discogs was a silver/gray Zensor pressing from 2013. The seller was transparent with me about a dumb mistake he made: he used Goo Gone on the carboard printed sleeve to remove evidence of a price sticker and it left a stain. He then took what I though was a very fair amount of $$$ off the price, and I accepted the transaction.

The good news: the stain is BARELY visible!

The bad news: it's not the damn record I ordered.
I thought I was receiving a silver/gray Zensor pressing with unmarked silver labels... what came was a plain black disc with unmarked silver labels which, according to Discogs, the year origin is undetermined and IS BLOCKED FROM SALE ON DISCOGS.

This guy also made it clear in his initial e-mail that it was his first Discogs sale and please not leave negative feedback blah blah blah.

Sooooooooooo, as I see it, two options:

1. Be happy that I got a copy of the record at all, nevermind that it was at exactly what I would have been willing to pay for this version
OR
2. Raise hell

Thoughts?
One of the rules is you must be selling the release under which you list yours (I have been reporting a person for a while now that refuses to make there own listing for what they have, they are listing it on a misprint/press and they don't). I would reach out to the seller and let them know of the situation and see how they response and go from there

There are certain discogs buzzwords that I hate when they are included in a seller's description. Minty being one, but especially the word "otherwise"...

"There are seamsplits on the inner and top portion of jacket, corner crunches on all four corners, but otherwise is NM-." Obviously that's an exaggeration but it makes no sense.

There are certain discogs buzzwords that I hate when they are included in a seller's description. Minty being one, but especially the word "otherwise"...

"There are seamsplits on the inner and top portion of jacket, corner crunches on all four corners, but otherwise is NM-." Obviously that's an exaggeration but it makes no sense.
I've been seeing this a lot lately...I've also seen sleeves with huge spline splits, tons of ringwear on ebay lately marked as VG++....

I've been seeing this a lot lately...I've also seen sleeves with huge spline splits, tons of ringwear on ebay lately marked as VG++....
Yeah there is this weird phenomenon of inconsistency where people are grading vintage vinyl differently than new. Things like "this is in real nice condition for a record that was made over 4 decades ago. VG+."

Then they turnaround and VG+ a recent repress of something because it has some surface noise.

Yeah there is this weird phenomenon of inconsistency where people are grading vintage vinyl differently than new. Things like "this is in real nice condition for a record that was made over 4 decades ago. VG+."

Then they turnaround and VG+ a recent repress of something because it has some surface noise.
I've also taken chances on records online marked VG that have ended up being pretty "minty" :ROFLMAO:. It seems like more of a crap shoot nowadays.

uhh discogs https://blog.discogs.com/en/tax-law/ wft

ok, so as our U.S pals say "let me see if I've got this straight". One random country has decided to collect sales tax from sellers located in every other country in the rest of the world?

I must have it wrong.

If I have to do one scintilla of work with all that "upload SUV inventory" bollocks and filing tax forms in some state in some country that has nothign to do with me then I'm out. Dude. i'm a waster. Not a goddamn G-7 accountant for Google. I'll just block the whole country. Or, failing that, could just put up a nasty wee notice in my sellers terms saying "sure, US buyers, go ahead and buy my stuff BUT if you're from one of the 21 states that require me to go through the rigmarole of filing sales taxes in your stupid state which has nothing to do with me then I am going to have to cancel your order. Nothing personal buddy but the last thing I need is Seal Team 6* rappeling down and through my balcony window here in Japan, screaming their heads off about $3.86 cents of unfiled tax forms in the state of West Dakota or some crap.

*of course, I'm being silly with the Seal Team 6 thing. $3.86 would make me a low priority target. Seal Team 3 would probably suffice.

Motherfuckin John Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees just bought a record from me this morning! Ha! It was Nick Lowe’s Pure Power Pop For Now People :p Probably sees me trying to sell an Oh Sees record:eek:
The bigger question is how could you sell PPFNP by Nick Lowe? That album is phenomenal. Now I'm going to have to listen to it.

Speaking of random celebrity internet sales, several years ago film director David O. Russell bought a Herzog/Kinski DVD box set from me.

The bigger question is how could you sell PPFNP by Nick Lowe? That album is phenomenal. Now I'm going to have to listen to it.

Speaking of random celebrity internet sales, several years ago film director David O. Russell bought a Herzog/Kinski DVD box set from me.
I know. I really should hang on to the record but I think I prefer the UK tracklisting anyways. It is a really great record!

Also, that is super random haha!

I haven't learned one single secret or trick since watching this thread.

How about this? If you use Chrome browser, you can add an extension for dark mode, extra sorting options, etc. I like it for the dark mode.

Why don't y'all tell me how in god's green earth you can set your wish list notifications to only include those offerings from a specified currency. I've deleted 9,000 emails because every damned one of them is trying to sell me records that cost a damn arm and a leg to ship and the exchange rate means I'm paying well over sticker price too. What I want to see is when someone in my own fucking country has that record for a competitve price which is basically never which is exactly how often I want to see those emails.

Back