Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I'm thinking of selling a couple records from my collection but have no idea where to start, especially as a non-US member. International folks, how do you orchestrate shipping costs? Estimate and then take a hit if it ends up being more? Asking potential buyers to contact you before buying?

This is a great question, as I've never sold anything on there either. I think we do have a few here that have, if they have come over from the other forum.

I'm thinking of selling a couple records from my collection but have no idea where to start, especially as a non-US member. International folks, how do you orchestrate shipping costs? Estimate and then take a hit if it ends up being more? Asking potential buyers to contact you before buying?

I just sold my first record yesterday haha. What I atleast did to determine my cost of shipping was to look at other discgogs accounts from the same country and find out how much they were charging. That helped a lot. Also, I would try to keep all the good packaging you receive from your orders and re-use them when you decide to sell some of your stuff 🐸

I had a tough time shipping to a Japanese buyer one time. They were completely non-responsive to communication. It was a pricey record so I wanted to insure it, but shipping with insurance nearly doubled the cost of the deal. I provided several shipping estimates by carrier and with/out insurance. Ultimately, I invoiced them for DHL insured and they paid. That's when I shipped.

I never got any response or feedback from them, but that's my story.

Attachments

• 1558020405693.png
    1558020405693.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You have been doing a good job, we all have things to still learn on there

Yeah....things change over there pretty fast. What was once the consensus is later deemed against guidelines. It gets to be difficult to keep up with at times. It doesn't help that most of the real changes happen in a forum with the worst search function ever.

Yeah....things change over there pretty fast. What was once the consensus is later deemed against guidelines. It gets to be difficult to keep up with at times. It doesn't help that most of the real changes happen in a forum with the worst search function ever.

I for the most part just go by the current guidelines and don't worry about forum decisions, which is why I follow the changelog thread

Quick one for you guys. I bought a could of records off a seller 15 days ago. Asked for an update 6 days ago (initially just asked which service he used so I know when to expect them) and he seems to be ghosting me. I have messaged twice since and nothing, so I have submitted a 'Seller Not Responding' notice through discogs. Has anyone done this before? How easy is it to get a refund if it turns out he purposely isn't responding?

I've bought my fair share from overseas, and they are usually extremely responsive about the price of shipping before they set the cost. Not sure how they get their quotes but usually they have responded to me first about the cost of shipping and ask if that's OK before we move forward, I've only had two sellers try to over price shipping costs. Wish I could help more. I also know some sellers have in their profile that they do not accept international orders so I guess it's all about how wide you want to spread your store.

Quick one for you guys. I bought a could of records off a seller 15 days ago. Asked for an update 6 days ago (initially just asked which service he used so I know when to expect them) and he seems to be ghosting me. I have messaged twice since and nothing, so I have submitted a 'Seller Not Responding' notice through discogs. Has anyone done this before? How easy is it to get a refund if it turns out he purposely isn't responding?

If you used PayPal not really an issue at all

If you used PayPal not really an issue at all
Yeah I used paypal, just wasn't sure if I should be putting the claim direct through PayPal or if there were steps to go through Discogs first. I looked at the Discog FAQ's and its quite vague as to what happens after the 'Seller Not Responding' claim goes through

Yeah I used paypal, just wasn't sure if I should be putting the claim direct through PayPal or if there were steps to go through Discogs first. I looked at the Discog FAQ's and its quite vague as to what happens after the 'Seller Not Responding' claim goes through

give the discogs process a chance as PayPal has a six-month (I think) window for refunding

Should this be in the buy/sell/trade section?

I don't think so. I don't really use Discogs that often to buy --- and I've never sold, so that's not the specific point of this thread.

Buying/Selling is a part of Discogs, and has been what the first few posts here have been about, but I'm sure we'll get some data entry discussions eventually.

I don't think so. I don't really use Discogs that often to buy --- and I've never sold, so that's not the specific point of this thread.

Buying/Selling is a part of Discogs, and has been what the first few posts here have been about, but I'm sure we'll get some data entry discussions eventually.

I'm pretty sure it was over there in the last forum

Back