Definitive Audiophile pressings

Looks like the Pure Pleasure version of Clifford Jordan Quartet's "Glass Bead Games" is getting repressed. Sounds of the Universe emailed about it today, and it's in stock there, PP's site, and other Euro sites. It was first pressed in 2019 (followed by a different reissue by Superfly).

Discogs comments are muddled about whether this is AAA, but Pure Pleasure's site says "AAA," and it sounds great and is a fantastic album, regardless.

I'm just coming to understand the significance of labels like Tribe, Strata-East, and Black Artists Group. AACM is also often grouped with those 3, but, for some reason, I've read a fair amount about AACM. Anyway, this article has a good summary and goes in depth on Strata-East.

If you're interested in this stuff historically, including the broader context of artistic and cultural developments arising from the Black Power Movement and also want a musical overview, I very highly recommend Sounds of the Universe's "Soul of a Nation" sets (Volumes 1 and 2). The music is great, the sound quality is great, and the liner notes are thorough and very informative.

Spinning my Doors - Strange Days 45 RPM from AP and this thing sounds absolutely bonkers. This is definitely the closest I've ever heard Jim's voice before, sounds almost eerie. So much hidden detail there that I never noticed prior. Wonderful freaking job, just need to pick up Morrison Hotel and I'll be good on my Doors studio album collection.

Spinning my Doors - Strange Days 45 RPM from AP and this thing sounds absolutely bonkers. This is definitely the closest I've ever heard Jim's voice before, sounds almost eerie. So much hidden detail there that I never noticed prior. Wonderful freaking job, just need to pick up Morrison Hotel and I'll be good on my Doors studio album collection.
Morrison Hotel is on par with LA Woman. Which to me are the best two of the Doors 45s that I own (ST, SD, LA, MH)

Morrison Hotel is on par with LA Woman. Which to me are the best two of the Doors 45s that I own (ST, SD, LA, MH)
I'll have to spin my LA Woman again, I was having issues with that one similar to the issues I was having with Sarah Vaughan. Sounded pretty underwhelming to my ears, but I'm attributing it to some strange mistracking that I have yet to discover the fix for. AP sent me another LA Woman cause I thought it was a defective pressing to begin with, but now I just have two weird sounding LA Womans lol.

I'll have to spin my LA Woman again, I was having issues with that one similar to the issues I was having with Sarah Vaughan. Sounded pretty underwhelming to my ears, but I'm attributing it to some strange mistracking that I have yet to discover the fix for. AP sent me another LA Woman cause I thought it was a defective pressing to begin with, but now I just have two weird sounding LA Womans lol.
Yeah well then you likely have two awesome sounding LA Woman's once you figure out that issue.

Looks like the Pure Pleasure version of Clifford Jordan Quartet's "Glass Bead Games" is getting repressed. Sounds of the Universe emailed about it today, and it's in stock there, PP's site, and other Euro sites. It was first pressed in 2019 (followed by a different reissue by Superfly).

Discogs comments are muddled about whether this is AAA, but Pure Pleasure's site says "AAA," and it sounds great and is a fantastic album, regardless.

I'm just coming to understand the significance of labels like Tribe, Strata-East, and Black Artists Group. AACM is also often grouped with those 3, but, for some reason, I've read a fair amount about AACM. Anyway, this article has a good summary and goes in depth on Strata-East.

If you're interested in this stuff historically, including the broader context of artistic and cultural developments arising from the Black Power Movement and also want a musical overview, I very highly recommend Sounds of the Universe's "Soul of a Nation" sets (Volumes 1 and 2). The music is great, the sound quality is great, and the liner notes are thorough and very informative.

I have the Pure Pleasure press of Glass Bead Games and it sounds fantastic. It's a great pressing.

edit - it's a really interesting theme for a record as well.

Interested to hear how they sound...

It sounds really dynamic, there is an issue with some noise very early on after the first break (this could be akin to @Ghost s issues with LA Woman). I had some issues with the Cannonball Adderley as well. It sounds pretty great otherwise but....

.... I have a 1983 Japanese pressing which I love. I'm having a bit of a crisis though, as I'm definitely in the Boom Boom 100 club & @MikeH might hate me but I really prefer the Japanese pressing.

edit- the piano in the Japanese pressing seems more real & rounded. but it's not as clear as the KG cut where there is a lot going on.

It sounds really dynamic, there is an issue with some noise very early on after the first break (this could be akin to @Ghost s issues with LA Woman). I had some issues with the Cannonball Adderley as well. It sounds pretty great otherwise but....

.... I have a 1983 Japanese pressing which I love. I'm having a bit of a crisis though, as I'm definitely in the Boom Boom 100 club & @MikeH might hate me but I really prefer the Japanese pressing.

edit- the piano in the Japanese pressing seems more real & rounded. but it's not as clear as the KG cut where there is a lot going on.
That is definitely one thing with Big Rig, there is always a LOT going on. For better or worse.

I bought a copy of Bookends after all the chat on here the other week. Playing it for the first time tonight & what an amazing pressing, got the 2018 Legacy RKS pressing. I now need to look at the rest of their reissue catalogue

Last edited:

I believe a couple of us here own this Japanese pressing Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers – Moanin' (1977, Vinyl)

Curious to hear how they stack up against each other. Really not into how they didn’t stick with the original cover, leagues better IMO.

I take it that sounds pretty great? I've not heard the mono version, I don't have any Liberty pressings for that matter.
I got lucky and found this one almost mint. It does sound very good. But I've never compared it against anything other than the terrible BN 75 pressing. So I kinda got this KPG just to see. But honestly if it's done properly I pretty much always prefer stereo. IF... it's done properly...

Back