Definitive Audiophile pressings

Perhaps this was already said, but . . . In this context, the most significant difference between records and sneakers is that none of the sneaker “collectors” — flippers and non-flippers — intend to wear the sneakers. In that sense, they’re true collectibles; like trophies. They sit somewhere and never get used. In contrast, non-flipper record people want to open and listen to the records. Sure, they’re very happy to have them to look at in the “collection,” but the records also get used, even if sparingly and carefully. “Collectors” who never listen to a record aren’t that different from flippers; they just take longer to do the flipping.

Vinyl is weird. There is undeniably a collectability factor to records similar to Trading Cards or Comic Books or Sneakers and yet in those communities flippers are begrudgingly accepted as part of hobby. Vinyl is strange that though it is just as collectible as those others the amount of vitriol reserved for flippers within the vinyl community I think is only rivaled by that of gamers trying to obtain the latest console.

Personally I have never flipped anything as I am too much of a collector to let anything go but I have also never been angered by flippers the way many in the vinyl community have been either. It just seems like a necessary evil if you’re going to collect anything or be a consumer in a capitalistic society.

I mean, I also collect sneakers and comics and I have just as much hate (if not more) towards the people backdoor-ing hundreds of pairs of sneakers, or making the rounds to the comic shops to hoard some variant. It's just as bad and not much different.
Oh man, I used to collect comics and have a decent amount of rarer 'keys'.

I recently looked online to see how much they have jumped in value and its just insane the kind of money that these regularly sell for. A £100 'key' in that field is considered a bargain. Certain ones will sell for £1000+ without anyone batting an eye. Comparing it with buying records and its another league entirely.

fat-joe.gif

I get it, I don't like it but I understand it and thus don't get super pissed about it because it feels like a part of collecting I guess. Maybe the vinyl community is just more vocal about it. It feels like its much more tolerated in other communities.
Perhaps this anger is rooted in the unspoken reality the article before touches on. That supply is already limited, and not getting significantly better in the near future. That lack of production ability makes the dynamics different. Limited shoes are fine, but they CAN make plenty of shoes, so you have options... even as a collector. With vinyl it feels like there is a limit in the short term to how much music can be produced.

Just got email from MoFi indicating these are finally getting close to selling out. Killer LP.

Hoffman perpetuated that myth because he wanted to maintain his own myth, of being the grand mastering guru.

I have the MOFI Candy-O, it is fabulous, as expected.
Quick follow-up on this, which started w/ me asking about Candy-O. I ended up finding a NM- (or very strong VG+) copy of this 1979 Canadian version. Flat and virtually silent. I have nothing to compare it to, but I’m very happy w/ it. If the Mofi comes back to print and my curiosity to compare them gets the best of me, I may spring for it if for some unlikely reason I’m flush w/ cash at the time.

Completely unrelated but thx to recs here, I just received a sealed copy of the Sundazed KG ”Bridge Over Troubled Water.” Cleaned and played, and it’s also excellent and will suit me very well so I can stop dreaming of winning the lottery and buying the One Step or Classic

Just got email from MoFi indicating these are finally getting close to selling out. Killer LP.
I mean…how much better could this be from the reg. 45rpm?

(Please don’t say a huge difference , please don’t say a huge difference)

So you’re saying you have the one step or the reg 45 mofi on back order ?;)

The regular 45 😂 the repress was supposedly due out last month although it might have been in the states and just not made it to Europe yet, still waiting on my Son of Schmillson too.

The regular 45 😂 the repress was supposedly due out last month although it might have been in the states and just not made it to Europe yet, still waiting on my Son of Schmillson too.
Gotcha..I haven’t seen repressing reg Pearl yet but son of schmil seems to be a ton of places

Back