Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

Thinking about finally moving on from my Vincent Pho 8 and starting to lean towards the MP7. For the longest time was considering the Sutherland Insight but I'm almost happy with the Pho 8 so maybe don't need that large of an upgrade.

I use the AT VM540ML on the Pioneer PLX1000 the MP7 is my best bet for the Darlington line correct? I like the AT cart a lot so will probably stick with it long term. I'm assuming there is no reason the MP6 would be better with my setup but thought I would ask first. I have never seemed to grasp the matching the cart with the preamp calculations.

The combo of BStock and return policy makes me think why not. Was really zoned in on the Sutherland but at half the price I'm sure this will be a nice upgrade over my Pho8.
I just got a new MP7 in the mail yesterday that is also replacing a Vincent Pho 8 (Technics 1200/AT VM95ML). I haven't had much time to use it yet. But I was planning on letting it warm up for a few days and then play a record back to back with the Vincent swapped in to see what the differences are. I can try to report back this weekend if that would be helpful.

Man I really wish I had known about the B-stock earlier...I really don't care what the amp looks like and that would have been a good way to save some money.

Thinking about finally moving on from my Vincent Pho 8 and starting to lean towards the MP7. For the longest time was considering the Sutherland Insight but I'm almost happy with the Pho 8 so maybe don't need that large of an upgrade.

I use the AT VM540ML on the Pioneer PLX1000 the MP7 is my best bet for the Darlington line correct? I like the AT cart a lot so will probably stick with it long term. I'm assuming there is no reason the MP6 would be better with my setup but thought I would ask first. I have never seemed to grasp the matching the cart with the preamp calculations.

The combo of BStock and return policy makes me think why not. Was really zoned in on the Sutherland but at half the price I'm sure this will be a nice upgrade over my Pho8.

What I will say is that’s grand if you only plan on using MM cartridges and don’t think you’ll ever get the itch to experiment with MC. Because if you’re going to use LOMC with the Darlington you’ll have to buy again with the SU7 and for the combined price you’re going to be well in to Insight territory. I’d actually love to hear someone A/B an SU7 & MP7 vs an Insight and see which they preferred and why.

Last edited:
Saw I'm supposed to leave it on 24/7 for at least a month. Is there just never a reason to turn it off?

Just bit the bullet and went with the MP7 B-stock to try out. I'm happy with my current Vincent Pho-8 so if there are any improvements I'm going to pumped. Just got a hand full of new records I was going to spin this weekend too.

Just bit the bullet and went with the MP7 B-stock to try out. I'm happy with my current Vincent Pho-8 so if there are any improvements I'm going to pumped. Just got a hand full of new records I was going to spin this weekend too.
Let us know what you think as far as difference between the two. I may have a faulty Pho8 that I am troubleshooting.

I just got a new MP7 in the mail yesterday that is also replacing a Vincent Pho 8 (Technics 1200/AT VM95ML). I haven't had much time to use it yet. But I was planning on letting it warm up for a few days and then play a record back to back with the Vincent swapped in to see what the differences are. I can try to report back this weekend if that would be helpful.

Man I really wish I had known about the B-stock earlier...I really don't care what the amp looks like and that would have been a good way to save some money.
Sorry I never followed up - I’ve been enjoying the MP7 so much I haven’t switched back to the Pho 8 to compare. My initial impression was that the bass was more present and the overall sound had more zing and pep with the MP7, but I really do want to switch back at some point to confirm these (possibly imagined) differences.

Sorry I never followed up - I’ve been enjoying the MP7 so much I haven’t switched back to the Pho 8 to compare. My initial impression was that the bass was more present and the overall sound had more zing and pep with the MP7, but I really do want to switch back at some point to confirm these (possibly imagined) differences.
I finally tried to do a "shoot out" between the Vincent Pho 8 and the Darlington Labs MP7. The Vincent was at a disadvantage because I listened to it second and didn't give it time to warm up (since I was trying to keep the MP7 impressions fresh in my mind). Also, this kind of stuff is kind of difficult for me to measure/quantify, but hopefully this is helpful anyway. I picked three songs that sound good, that I like, and that I haven't listened to in a little while, and then listened to them on the MP7 then the Vincent:
  • The Beatles "Dear Prudence" remix from the 4LP 50th anniversary box set
  • Gil Evans "La Nevada" from Out of the Cool (Acoustic Sounds series)
  • Bill Evans "Oleo" from Everybody Digs Bill Evans (80s OJC)
I took notes for all 6 listens, but the general takeaway was that the MP7 was more exciting, involving, and natural sounding than the Vincent. My impression of "Oleo" with the Vincent was "nice" but when I listened to it through the MP7 it was more "wow." For "Dear Prudence," I found myself turning the volume up through the MP7 but down through the Vincent. "La Nevada" sounds so good it makes both amps sound great, yet I found the sparkle and room sound that I got via the MP7 was lacking a little with the Vincent. I was rapt listening to that track through the MP7 but found my mind wandering during the Vincent's turn. It was the 2nd time I had listened to that track in like 10 minutes, but still...it just wasn't the same.

In general, I thought the Vincent's presentation was a little rough/harsh compared to the MP7. Cymbals didn't sound as good, vocals and guitars had a comparatively unpleasant edge, and bass may have been a tiny bit boomy/blurry.

All that said, I think the Vincent is a really good preamp. I left the White Album playing on the Vincent while I was typing this and it sounds really good! I used it for about 2 years and had no complaints. But comparatively, the MP7 does sound better to me. Comparing the Vincent MSRP of $400 vs. MP7 base model of $529, I think the MP7 is a no-brainer. But - I got my Vincent used for $130 and at that price point it makes the MP7 harder to recommend over the Vincent. But I have the MP7 now and I'm keeping it, although I wish I had been hip to the b-stock situation earlier.

One last thing - I got the mono switch on the MP7 and it's so much easier than plugging/unplugging my homemade mono wire contraption. Recommended if you have a bunch of mono records.

I finally tried to do a "shoot out" between the Vincent Pho 8 and the Darlington Labs MP7. The Vincent was at a disadvantage because I listened to it second and didn't give it time to warm up (since I was trying to keep the MP7 impressions fresh in my mind). Also, this kind of stuff is kind of difficult for me to measure/quantify, but hopefully this is helpful anyway. I picked three songs that sound good, that I like, and that I haven't listened to in a little while, and then listened to them on the MP7 then the Vincent:
  • The Beatles "Dear Prudence" remix from the 4LP 50th anniversary box set
  • Gil Evans "La Nevada" from Out of the Cool (Acoustic Sounds series)
  • Bill Evans "Oleo" from Everybody Digs Bill Evans (80s OJC)
I took notes for all 6 listens, but the general takeaway was that the MP7 was more exciting, involving, and natural sounding than the Vincent. My impression of "Oleo" with the Vincent was "nice" but when I listened to it through the MP7 it was more "wow." For "Dear Prudence," I found myself turning the volume up through the MP7 but down through the Vincent. "La Nevada" sounds so good it makes both amps sound great, yet I found the sparkle and room sound that I got via the MP7 was lacking a little with the Vincent. I was rapt listening to that track through the MP7 but found my mind wandering during the Vincent's turn. It was the 2nd time I had listened to that track in like 10 minutes, but still...it just wasn't the same.

In general, I thought the Vincent's presentation was a little rough/harsh compared to the MP7. Cymbals didn't sound as good, vocals and guitars had a comparatively unpleasant edge, and bass may have been a tiny bit boomy/blurry.

All that said, I think the Vincent is a really good preamp. I left the White Album playing on the Vincent while I was typing this and it sounds really good! I used it for about 2 years and had no complaints. But comparatively, the MP7 does sound better to me. Comparing the Vincent MSRP of $400 vs. MP7 base model of $529, I think the MP7 is a no-brainer. But - I got my Vincent used for $130 and at that price point it makes the MP7 harder to recommend over the Vincent. But I have the MP7 now and I'm keeping it, although I wish I had been hip to the b-stock situation earlier.

One last thing - I got the mono switch on the MP7 and it's so much easier than plugging/unplugging my homemade mono wire contraption. Recommended if you have a bunch of mono records.
I ended up selling my Vincent PHO-8 last November. I really tried to like the Vincent but it was just not a good fit for my system. I kept swapping it out with my other phono preamp at the time (Cambridge Audio Duo) but the Vincent never stayed in my system for long. When compared to my MM-6 (which is back at Darlington Labs being upgraded to an MP7), the Vincent, as well as the Duo, these two phono preamps don't have the complete package of detail, depth, sound stage, and just overall enjoyable listening like the MM-6 does.

Received my MP7 on Friday so have almost 3 days with it so far turned on (Keith's customer service is top notch). My unit was a demo at the Axpona table and looked as if it was brand new to me. Very happy

Although it has only been plugged in for 2.5 days, everything everyone is saying is spot on. Could be placebo but I am noticing mini-improvements as it warms up each spin too. The statement "easier to listen to" is by far the best description. I play my music pretty loud and with the Vincent usually hovered around 60% on volume dial for vinyl playback. This weekend with the MP7 was around 45% so the advertised 20% sound increase is pretty spot on. Outside that describing the difference is hard, basically just feels like it fills the room easier. My girlfriend and I both agreed that we notice sounds on the high end longer and cleaner. The roll off/decay is more natural and separated from other sounds compared to the Vincent.
Even though it is only day 3 we both agree that it is worth the investment and upgrade and it was pretty obvious early. Wanting to go through all my records again is a very real thing after getting this. This coming weekend I will be spinning a lot of records. I would say this jump from the Vincent Pho8 to the Darlington MP7 was pretty equal to the jump from the internal on my old amp to the Pho8. I highly suggest it to anyone who has the Pho8 and looking to upgrade.

I've been listening to my upgraded Darlington Labs phono preamp for 5 days now. First, I started with the MM-6 and gave it a glowing review. I liked the MM-6 so much that I went with the upgrade to the MP-7. It was definitely worth it. The MP-7 is all about the details. There are little things in the music that I've never heard before, but with the MP-7, they're very noticeable now. The way certain notes on instruments have sustain, ring and decay. It's all very clear now. On my test record, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, which I must have listened to thousands of times, I'm hearing new details I completely missed before. I would describe the MP-7 as a completely "honest" phono preamp. It does an outstanding job brining out ALL of the music. You'll miss nothing which is a good thing for really well recorded and mixed music. However the MP-7 makes no apologies for poor recordings. The MP-7 doesn't gloss over anything. You'll get the real-deal, right up front. One of the best things about the MP-7 is the realism of the music. I was listening to a very well recorded concert album and I swear it felt like I was there in the crowded arena surrounded by screaming fans. The placement of the instruments in the sound stage is incredible. I could literally "see" where the musicians were on the stage. The MP-7 is nice an upgrade to the MM-6 but in a different way. They're both outstanding phono preamps, no question. The MM-6 is like a really good pair of binoculars, you get a really great view, but with the MP-7, it's like a telescope that lets you see the stars. One last thing, hats off to Keith Richardson for his tireless efforts as Chief Engineer at Darlington Labs. Not only is he a brilliant engineer, he's also a very decent person who communicates frequently with his customers. He's even gone as far to help me resolve a technical issue I was having with my system. You won't get that sort of personal customer support from other large electronics manufacturers. So in summary, I highly recommend the Darlington Labs MP-7 as "the last phono preamp you will buy".14EF2693-CBE5-45F4-B829-C05BB9F0223A_1_201_a.jpeg

I have had my MP-7 for a week now and wanted to share my early impressions. First, some background for those that may find it useful or you can just skip to the end. I have a Marantz PM-8006 and previously had tried 3 phono amps all $200 and under including the ifi Zen Phono and found that none of them sounded better than the Marantz onboard phono stage. The Marantz provides a wide soundstage with great instrument separation.

I upgraded my TT from the Fluance RT-85 with 2M Blue to the MoFi Ultradeck with MasterTracker and the Ultradeck is much quieter and clearer than the Fluance 2M Blue perhaps in part to the lower output in mV of the MasterTracker and the micro line stylus profile. So, I had to increase the volume on the Marantz to achieve the same listening level I was accustom to, but with this came an increase in noise.

After reading everything about the MP-7 and Darlington Labs I figured I would give it a try. Keith worked with me to get exactly what I wanted ASAP, not sure that many other companies offer this level of service. When it arrived I didn’t have much time for dedicated listening but gave a few go to records a spin but didn’t want to pass judgment yet. I have left the MP-7 on and noticed a big improvement in the first 3 days and since then it has been consistently great. It runs cool and 3 dB quieter than the Marantz with volume at 12 o’clock and no record playing. The soundstage is wide in all records I have played with some good 4 hour listening sessions included with no ear fatigue. The instrument separation blows the Marantz away as the MP-7 provides more of a note separation with increased clarity. Vocals, also improved, are present and more forward sounding. Where the MP-7 really excels in my system is the sustain of notes, so much so that it gives the music a much fuller sound. As a song ends you can continue to hear it past where I am used to. I am highly pleased with listening to MM at lower volumes but still being able to feel the music.

I have had my MP-7 for a week now and wanted to share my early impressions. First, some background for those that may find it useful or you can just skip to the end. I have a Marantz PM-8006 and previously had tried 3 phono amps all $200 and under including the ifi Zen Phono and found that none of them sounded better than the Marantz onboard phono stage. The Marantz provides a wide soundstage with great instrument separation.

I upgraded my TT from the Fluance RT-85 with 2M Blue to the MoFi Ultradeck with MasterTracker and the Ultradeck is much quieter and clearer than the Fluance 2M Blue perhaps in part to the lower output in mV of the MasterTracker and the micro line stylus profile. So, I had to increase the volume on the Marantz to achieve the same listening level I was accustom to, but with this came an increase in noise.

After reading everything about the MP-7 and Darlington Labs I figured I would give it a try. Keith worked with me to get exactly what I wanted ASAP, not sure that many other companies offer this level of service. When it arrived I didn’t have much time for dedicated listening but gave a few go to records a spin but didn’t want to pass judgment yet. I have left the MP-7 on and noticed a big improvement in the first 3 days and since then it has been consistently great. It runs cool and 3 dB quieter than the Marantz with volume at 12 o’clock and no record playing. The soundstage is wide in all records I have played with some good 4 hour listening sessions included with no ear fatigue. The instrument separation blows the Marantz away as the MP-7 provides more of a note separation with increased clarity. Vocals, also improved, are present and more forward sounding. Where the MP-7 really excels in my system is the sustain of notes, so much so that it gives the music a much fuller sound. As a song ends you can continue to hear it past where I am used to. I am highly pleased with listening to MM at lower volumes but still being able to feel the music.
This is great to read. I have an UltraDECK w/ MasterTracker on order and am looking for a phono pre. I agree with your assessment of the phono stage in the Marantz PM8006 being equal to $200 options like the iFi Zen Phono and the Project Phono Box S2. I came to the same conclusion while auditioning those units a couple of years ago.

I emailed Keith at Darlington Labs today to ask a question about the MP7 and he told me an updated version is being shipped that has MC capabilities and a subsonic filter built in. The website will be updated in a couple of weeks.

I’m putting in an order.

Back