Darlington Labs MM-6 Phono Preamplifier Review

I currently have the Vincent Pho8 and was considering an Insight as my next step. I dont want to spend on the insight if the MM6 can get me 75% of the way there for substantially less $ for instance. I have no plans to further upgrade any of my other components. Thoughts welcomed.

I currently have the Vincent Pho8 and was considering an Insight as my next step. I dont want to spend on the insight if the MM6 can get me 75% of the way there for substantially less $ for instance. I have no plans to further upgrade any of my other components. Thoughts welcomed.
There is a new model coming- the MP-7. Maxed out with all options it’s $650. Obviously, I’ve not heard it, but if you want a definite forever piece, I’d email them. It’s a safe bet.

There is a new model coming- the MP-7. Maxed out with all options it’s $650. Obviously, I’ve not heard it, but if you want a definite forever piece, I’d email them. It’s a safe bet.
They just added this to their website.

My MM-6 arrived today. Took about 4.5 weeks in production, Keith from Darlington was nice enough to offer some components from the upcoming MP-7 model (hence the wait time) and threw in some upgraded jacks because it ended up being even longer than the quote. First impressions are that it sounds amazing. I know im not doing it any justice with my digital sony receiver, but it still blows any previous preamp I've had out of the water. And this is with just a couple hours in it so far.

My MM-6 arrived today. Took about 4.5 weeks in production, Keith from Darlington was nice enough to offer some components from the upcoming MP-7 model (hence the wait time) and threw in some upgraded jacks because it ended up being even longer than the quote. First impressions are that it sounds amazing. I know im not doing it any justice with my digital sony receiver, but it still blows any previous preamp I've had out of the water. And this is with just a couple hours in it so far.
I could've written this same glowing review nearly word for word! Right down to the Sony reciever and the slight delay in production. I'm absolutely loving the MM-6 nearly a week in.

Received my unit this morning and I'm not disappointed. The wonderful guitar work of Django Reinhardt has never felt more alive. Def get the mono switch if you're into anything pre-1950's. It's worth the extra 40 bucks. Thanks for the recommendation @HiFi Guy

Received my unit this morning and I'm not disappointed. The wonderful guitar work of Django Reinhardt has never felt more alive. Def get the mono switch if you're into anything pre-1950's. It's worth the extra 40 bucks. Thanks for the recommendation @HiFi Guy
Leave it powered up all the time. Give it 72 hours. It gets better. Enjoy!

Here is a new review of the MM-5 based on objective measurements, followed by an interesting discussion with Keith from Darlington Labs. I don't understand the technical aspects, but the jist appears to be that there are different schools of thought, some trade-offs are necessary at this price point, and subjective listening matters too.

Back