Cord Cutters, who here has ditched cable/satellite for streaming services?

RenegadeMonster

Now Spinning
Admin
This past weekend I went ahead and did it myself. I know it's been a trend that has been growing and I have been considering doing it for awhile now once my contract was up with Xfinity (Comcast). I just went with Hulu Live and am loving it.

For those who have cut the cord share your experiences here. If you are looking to cut the cord and have question ask them here.

I had my last straw with the extortionist known as Comcast.

Back when I moved into my apartment in December of 2015 they had new customer deals for their Triple Play. $99 a month for a package that included 210+ channels, free HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime, 200mbps internet, and voice phone service. I never used the voice, but had to have it on my bundle to get the free premium networks and a cheaper rate. I did have a $14 rental fee for the cable modem since they would not let me use my own one I had previous used with COX saying because I have voice, I need a modem that has phone lines built into it as federal regulations require them to provide 911 access. I had voice with COX as well for the lower bundle rate but did not use it. They had no issues activating my modem. Comcast would not budge. Also, since I owned a TiVo box, which is consumer owned equipment I needed a cable card. The FCC requires cable companies to give consumers cable cards and to support them. The first cable card should be free per comcast site. But because I only had one tv and no box rented from them Comcast's billing system wouldn't allow the cable card to be activated without charging me for it. It was rent one Comcast box and the cable card would be free. Or pay the fee or additional cable cards to comcast so resolve their billing system issues. They tried hard on selling me on their DVR and DVR service fees which I passed on. The TiVo boxes have much better features and I don't have to pay DVR fees to Comcast.

A year later my bill went up to $139.99 a month, 40 more. I called and was explained it's part of the 3 their new member promotion. There were no better offers available.

When my third year started my bill went up yet another $40. I called again. The same was true. No better rates were available.

When my 4th year started my bill went up yet another $50 now landing at $220 a month. Which in reality was higher, because that does not include the $14 modem rental and the $6 for my cable card which should be free. I was ready to cancel and cut the cord right then and there. But this time they had an offer form. The same plan Im currently getting, but double the internet speed and free DVR box included. I didn't need the DVR, but took it.

This year when that year ended last month, my February bill shot up to $259.99. When I called this time I could get a promo again that would be $209.99 a month. I refused it knowing that the new member offers still start out at $99 a month and said as much. And of course, I'm told those are only the new member specials and their rates will go up to the regular rate when the promo expires. Also that costs go up. I should not expect to pay the same rate or less every year.

I then told them I want internet only. They kept trying to give me other bundles. I asked them, what if I wanted just basic cable and internet. I was told that would actually be $211 a month because it's not bundled. But we can get you 210+ channels with internet for $149 a month. No premium networks.

I said now again and asked for just internet rates. I was quoted $90 a month plus equipment rental for the same internet I currently have. I said sign me up for it. There is no DSL or FiOS available at my location in Salem. Comcast is the only internet choice. I then get told they can't make the change for me, I have to be transferred from the billing to the cancellations department because I was canceling phone and cable. When talk to the cancelation department they tell me they can't find the rate I was quoted. Cheapest they can find starts at $110 a month for a promo, and goes up to $140 after the first year for internet service. They sign me up and schedule a call back for the next day to try to get me the rate I was quoted. When they called me back I'm informed that they can't get me the rate I was quoted. It was a new member offer and I'm not a new member. To qualify I would have to cancel service and wait the mandatory waiting period of 90 days before signing up again. They apologised and said they have recorded that reps name and will be taking disciplinary action against him.

I'm still trying to fight to get that quote and get it by going through social media channels. I'm also fighting a $50 fee for them activating me activating a new modem... Now that I don't have voice I'm using my own modem again to save the $14 a month. And of course they charge me to activate it. Got to love them.

Hulu live can get me pretty much every channel I watch. And the quality is far better than through Comcast. Comcast was down ressing everything to 720p and heavily compressing it. I'm getting 1080p with Hulu Live. Hulu comes with a cloud DVR, so I can record anything from live TV and watch it back at a later time. It also has full On Demand access and my locals are all available for free as well.

Happy with the Hulu Live Service. Just need to work on getting the internet price down. As where I stand right now, I'm paying the same as Comcast quote for 210+ channels and the same internet.

I’d love to but I have satellite tv pretty much solely for football and it’s cheaper than the streaming sub for it. It doesn’t help that my team is particularly shit right now...

This past weekend I went ahead and did it myself. I know it's been a trend that has been growing and I have been considering doing it for awhile now once my contract was up with Xfinity (Comcast). I just went with Hulu Live and am loving it.

For those who have cut the cord share your experiences here. If you are looking to cut the cord and have question ask them here.

I had my last straw with the extortionist known as Comcast.

Back when I moved into my apartment in December of 2015 they had new customer deals for their Triple Play. $99 a month for a package that included 210+ channels, free HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime, 200mbps internet, and voice phone service. I never used the voice, but had to have it on my bundle to get the free premium networks and a cheaper rate. I did have a $14 rental fee for the cable modem since they would not let me use my own one I had previous used with COX saying because I have voice, I need a modem that has phone lines built into it as federal regulations require them to provide 911 access. I had voice with COX as well for the lower bundle rate but did not use it. They had no issues activating my modem. Comcast would not budge. Also, since I owned a TiVo box, which is consumer owned equipment I needed a cable card. The FCC requires cable companies to give consumers cable cards and to support them. The first cable card should be free per comcast site. But because I only had one tv and no box rented from them Comcast's billing system wouldn't allow the cable card to be activated without charging me for it. It was rent one Comcast box and the cable card would be free. Or pay the fee or additional cable cards to comcast so resolve their billing system issues. They tried hard on selling me on their DVR and DVR service fees which I passed on. The TiVo boxes have much better features and I don't have to pay DVR fees to Comcast.

A year later my bill went up to $139.99 a month, 40 more. I called and was explained it's part of the 3 their new member promotion. There were no better offers available.

When my third year started my bill went up yet another $40. I called again. The same was true. No better rates were available.

When my 4th year started my bill went up yet another $50 now landing at $220 a month. Which in reality was higher, because that does not include the $14 modem rental and the $6 for my cable card which should be free. I was ready to cancel and cut the cord right then and there. But this time they had an offer form. The same plan Im currently getting, but double the internet speed and free DVR box included. I didn't need the DVR, but took it.

This year when that year ended last month, my February bill shot up to $259.99. When I called this time I could get a promo again that would be $209.99 a month. I refused it knowing that the new member offers still start out at $99 a month and said as much. And of course, I'm told those are only the new member specials and their rates will go up to the regular rate when the promo expires. Also that costs go up. I should not expect to pay the same rate or less every year.

I then told them I want internet only. They kept trying to give me other bundles. I asked them, what if I wanted just basic cable and internet. I was told that would actually be $211 a month because it's not bundled. But we can get you 210+ channels with internet for $149 a month. No premium networks.

I said now again and asked for just internet rates. I was quoted $90 a month plus equipment rental for the same internet I currently have. I said sign me up for it. There is no DSL or FiOS available at my location in Salem. Comcast is the only internet choice. I then get told they can't make the change for me, I have to be transferred from the billing to the cancellations department because I was canceling phone and cable. When talk to the cancelation department they tell me they can't find the rate I was quoted. Cheapest they can find starts at $110 a month for a promo, and goes up to $140 after the first year for internet service. They sign me up and schedule a call back for the next day to try to get me the rate I was quoted. When they called me back I'm informed that they can't get me the rate I was quoted. It was a new member offer and I'm not a new member. To qualify I would have to cancel service and wait the mandatory waiting period of 90 days before signing up again. They apologised and said they have recorded that reps name and will be taking disciplinary action against him.

I'm still trying to fight to get that quote and get it by going through social media channels. I'm also fighting a $50 fee for them activating me activating a new modem... Now that I don't have voice I'm using my own modem again to save the $14 a month. And of course they charge me to activate it. Got to love them.

Hulu live can get me pretty much every channel I watch. And the quality is far better than through Comcast. Comcast was down ressing everything to 720p and heavily compressing it. I'm getting 1080p with Hulu Live. Hulu comes with a cloud DVR, so I can record anything from live TV and watch it back at a later time. It also has full On Demand access and my locals are all available for free as well.

Happy with the Hulu Live Service. Just need to work on getting the internet price down. As where I stand right now, I'm paying the same as Comcast quote for 210+ channels and the same internet.

We dumped Comcast a couple of months ago for Hulu Live, but kept Comcast internet........as much as I hate them, you can't beat their internet in my area. I would never go back, I was paying for Comcast, Netflix, Disney and I have a Prime account, so I was able to keep all those services and we're all very happy with the new set up. As you mentioned, much better picture because your actually getting 1080p and not 720 across the board.

All in all, I'm saving about $120 a month after all is said and done but I'm not tied to a contract I can add or remove other services as I wish, I like the flexibility and freedom this set up offers. If anyone is interested, we're using Roku sticks on our TV's and they work great :)

I ditched cable years ago. I upgraded my Roku stick to an Ultra last week. It has a USB outlet on it which I ran into my DAC then receiver. So anything I stream through the Roku goes through the 2 channel setup, including Spotify. Super simple music streaming solution.

I ditched cable when we moved in the house. We have internet through spectrum because it was the most reliable and high speed service available in our area. AT&T put fiber through but can’t offer me a competitive rate or a comparable speed which we need for my wife’s home office. We pay for HBO, Hulu, Netflix and prime. We ended up with free years for Disney and Apple TV. We will probably keep Disney after the trial. I spend way less time watching television just because it’s there.

with full family agreement we ditched not only cable, but TV entirely over 5 years ago.
the only replacement is Netflix which is mainly used by the kids (9 and 11) on the rare events of getting screen time (via an old laptop).

No regrets, dinner time doesn't get disrupted, and after dinner is game time/chat time/music time (and training for the kids activities, lots of training). There's also an almost total absence of daily screen time, as weekend activities are plenty!
Radio is where we get news from.

I haven't had cable for over 3 years. My family has a subscription share program. I pay for Hulu and Disney+. My sister actually has Xfiniti, but we all share that account and can stream tv, my brothers pay for Prime and Netflix. My wife's dad recently just got Youtube TV so we are gonna start streaming that as well. I currently have ATT Fiber for $50 but it only holds the rate for 12 months. After that it jumps to $85, which is stupid IMO.

Edit: All this and I continuously just re watch Parks and Rec and Bob's Burgers. OH and we also pay for PBS Streaming. We gotta have our Masterpiece Classics.

My wife and I have been off cable since we've been married. Internet is ~$60 a month and we pay for the cheapest Hulu subscription which is like $8 I think. We add HBO when our shows are running which bumps it to like $25 or something. My parents share their Netflix with us. We get Disney+ for free for a year through Verizon. AND I just discovered the my parents' online cable login works on my smart TV, so we can log into the HGTV, Travel Channel, ESPN, Fox Sports, and local stations (CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC) apps to watch those.

So in total we're paying like $70 at most.

We have WOW! internet, Netflix, Disney+ (which I say is for the kids...), Hulu (the cheapo plan), and still have a friend's login for some live TV channels. There's not much live TV we've missed since cutting the cord but I think that's because we don't really have time for live TV.

I heard that my parents were paying $250+ for their cable, phone, internet bundle and I just about fainted. That is just insanity. They finally cut the landline off but were still paying $200 a month.

Screw Comcast/Xfinity. They charged me a cancellation fee for my internet because i moved to an area they didn't service. Cut the cord about a year ago, right now just have the Hulu basic (not the live), Philo and and OTA antenna for my locals. Also have free Netflix through my current internet provider and Amazon Prime (not free).

Does anybody have experience with outdoor antennae? We had one of those cheap flat panels but because our TV is in the north part of the house and below a ton of trees, we never really had great reception. It's also ugly as hell and I'm not about to stick it on my window.

As @RenegadeMonster points out cable looks horrible, even the worst TV anywhere apps will still exceed the signal out of the box, so even when I had cable I was using the apps to watch drama programs. I also agree with the above suggestion, sharing someone's login is always helpful, and opens the door to a lot of TV anywhere apps like AMC, FX (although with the HULU deal this is pretty useless), USA etc. Occasionally I pay for AMC to be ad free, or just buy a season pass. I'd rather shell out a bit to avoid ads.

As for internet I'm stuck with the asshats at Comcast, since my building refuses to authorize a wire install for competitors through the drop ceiling on my floor....

I cut the cable TV cord a few months ago when I bought a smart TV, but still rely on spectrum internet. What I had was ridiculous and I should have done this a long time ago. My bill for TV/internet/phone bundle was $200+, and I've never used the phone. To avoid or minimize headaches, I just took the cable box to the local office and said I just want the internet. Bill is now $70, but with Netflix, YoutubeTV, and amazon prime, the total cost per month less than before but not by too much.
I will say YoutubeTV has all the channels I want and it records things I want with the ability to skip through commercials. It also has all the local channels and more sports options than regular cable.
@folsom_lives I have an over-the-air digital antenna, but it is not necessary to be outdoors, unless maybe if you live far from a major city. With the smart TV, it hooks up easy and it shows a menu of all the programs and channels. It's pretty nice.

We're quickly approaching the worst time of year for a non-cabler such as myself: how the heck to watch the Oscars? I guess I can trial Hulu live? Otherwise, I'm up a creek; last year I happened to be in a hotel, so I got to watch on regular ol' tv.

Which reminds me of the one biggest joy I get whenever I'm in a hotel: channel surfing. I don't miss cable except for the enjoyment of flipping channels and either finding something I love or something completely unexpected that simply grabbed my attention and never would've found on my own.

Just a heads up to all your cord cutters out there that get broadcast TV with an antenna. Odds are you will need to buy a new TV or set top box in the near future.

ATSC 3.0 is rolling out in 40 markets by the end of the this year. This broadcast format includes better reception, 4K HDR video support, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support, on-demand video, and possibly even streaming to mobile devices and automobiles.

But it is not supported by any TV set or over-the-air DVR that only support ATSC 1.0. If your equipment supports ATSC 2.0, which was a Bridge to 3.0 you should be good. You just want support all features.

We turned in our tuners (4 of them in our home) and cancelled the TV portion of our bundle.

We're left with phone and internet, so we can keep our land line (nice to have when cell service sucks or is overloaded, and a number to give out that we screen with an answering machine).

January's bill was $230, February went to $37. Looks like our monthly charges will now be $55 for 100 MB service.

We pay for a few services; Amazon Prime (for the shipping and other benefits also), HBO at $15/mo, Shudder 30-day free, then $6/mo if we like it enough; Sling TV for $30/mo that covers 90% of our TV needs (missing a few major networks); Hulu free with Spotify (our daughter's music source); and Netflix, $13/mo for multiple devices. We might switch to T-Mobile for our cell phones, which would take care of some of the Netflix bill.

Part of our decision is that we have a senior who lives with us (wife's mom), then my wife who's a CNN addict and needs TV overnight to sleep; daughter who rarely watches but loves stuff on Hulu like Bob's Burgers and Rick & Morty. I'm a movie person mainly, and I like documentaries also, and standup comedy specials, so I'm covered on Netflix and Prime Video.

We also muck about with BMC on the FireStick, for occasional movie viewing. We're also big fans of the actual big screen movie theater experience, which has been squashed by COVID-19.

I cut off Comcast cable a while ago....tried out various streaming TV services and stuck with Youtube TV - probably only because it carried MLB Network. Previously I needed an upper tier plan through Comcast to get this channel.

I also have Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Disney +, Shudder, and Amazon Prime

I made the move last fall to ditch cable and move to streaming TV. I can’t go without live TV because sports. Fortunately for me, the channel I care about most in that regard (YES) was carried by all of the major live TV streaming services. So I took the free trials for each of Hulu, DirectTV (since rebranded under AT&T) and YouTube.

YouTube was the clear winner, despite one deficiency it had vs. DirectTV/ATT - the latter also carries MSG which none of the other streaming services do, so by moving to YouTube I gave up the ability to watch the Knicks every night. However, on YouTube I get NBA TV, so I had an extra non-Knicks game to watch every night. Turns out that’s a much healthier and enjoyable way to watch basketball!

So I was pretty concerned back in February when it was announced that YouTube was going to stop carrying YES. I prefer it vastly to the other options, but being able to watch the Yankees is non-negotiable (I was already a little bummed about the fact that none of the streaming services carry PIX11, which gets ~1 game per week...even that I regarded as a huge sacrifice on my part). But the great thing about these streaming services is there are no contracts, so I can switch whenever I want.

For better or worse, outside events intervened before opening day and the decision on whether to drop YouTube (or more accurately, what to drop it for) has been postponed indefinitely.

Sports are hit or miss with streaming here.

You need YouTube TV if you want NESN for most Red Sox and Bruins games.

You need Hulu Live for Comcast Sports Net for most Celtics games.

Not one streaming service has both.

Neither sports network has a stand alone streaming service, only a Go app that needs to be authenticated with your Cable Account.

So if you don't have cable and a cord cutter, there is currently no option to access their Go app either.

I chose Hulu Live because it has better features. Though YouTube TV does have a better UI.

I'm not locked onto must having sports, so it's a non issue for me. But I know a lot of people where this is a big issue.

I'm finding Celtics games on Hulu Live is the deciding factor for many of my co-workers.

Back