Concert/Gig Posters! It's Back!

I went through a period where I bought a bunch of gig posters, but I have definitely cooled off in recent years. They're so expensive to frame, and, at some point you run out of wall space. If I see one that is really cool or special in some way, I may grab it. That was the case with this Cruiserweight reunion poster from their show a few weeks back. The color scheme doesn't really fit my place, but I liked the concept, and the show was so much fun that I wanted to have a physical document of it.

D9ci_bgXsAAsoFK.jpg-large.jpeg

Here's a recent one:

20190611_233826.jpg

I went through a period where I bought a bunch of gig posters, but I have definitely cooled off in recent years. They're so expensive to frame, and, at some point you run out of wall space. If I see one that is really cool or special in some way, I may grab it. That was the case with this Cruiserweight reunion poster from their show a few weeks back. The color scheme doesn't really fit my place, but I liked the concept, and the show was so much fun that I wanted to have a physical document of it.

They certainly can be. There were three I wanted framed recently. Saw Michael's having a "70% off custom framing" sale. Took them in. After the employee finished picking out a frame and mats for one of the posters, she plugged in the numbers and...
"Ok, that's $320 for the first poster"
"Whoa...alright, but don't forget the 70% off"
"That's with the discount already"
"What! You're telling me this would cost a grand without any sale??"
"Hmm, i guess so"
"Ya know, I like these posters, but...no, I'm gonna pass then"

Walked out, but I was too set on framing them. I scoured the internet for cheaper frames I could live with, stopped at Blicks for archive proof backing, and found a great site that custom cut's mats with a great selection, and even included corner designs. Hung them up the other day:

20190609_233557.jpg

20190609_233540.jpg

20190609_233524.jpg

For maybe $250 in all together, I'm very happy.

Here's a recent one:

View attachment 9165

They certainly can be. There were three I wanted framed recently. Saw Michael's having a "70% off custom framing" sale. Took them in. After the employee finished picking out a frame and mats for one of the posters, she plugged in the numbers and...
"Hmm, i guess so"

Walked out, but I was too set on framing them. I scoured the internet for cheaper frames I could live with, stopped at Blicks for archive proof backing, and found a great site that custom cut's mats with a great selection, and even included corner designs. Hung them up the other day:

View attachment 9167

View attachment 9168

View attachment 9169

Interesting. I guess it depends on the poster or the person’s taste but I personally, am not a huge fan of the older vintage looking frame like in the last poster here. I like a nice simple color, black or white or maybe a hardwood. It’s also much cheaper. The one I framed today was $28 to frame it.

Ha yea, I wouldn't put everything in those frames. Most everything in the house is in those buy 1 get 1 frames. But something about that Childish Gambino one screamed gaudy to me. Even though this was the only show on the tour I went to, at some point I would like to pick up the matching poster the designer did for, I think, Nashville.

God I wish Gigposters.com was still active. I found so many of my favorites on that site, and was even able to purchase a few directly from the artists. Below are some pics of some of my favorites that I own and display. A few of these are from shows I actually went to. Others are from different stops on tours that I caught here in Austin. Others are just pieces I thought were cool visually.

God I wish Gigposters.com was still active. I found so many of my favorites on that site, and was even able to purchase a few directly from the artists. Below are some pics of some of my favorites that I own and display. A few of these are from shows I actually went to. Others are from different stops on tours that I caught here in Austin. Others are just pieces I thought were cool visually.

Gigposters was the best. That was before most artists had their own webstore, so they were so happy to have you purchase from them. I had a few throw in extra prints and artwork with my purchase.

Gigposters was the best. That was before most artists had their own webstore, so they were so happy to have you purchase from them. I had a few throw in extra prints and artwork with my purchase.

That Pixies poster is for a show that I went to with 2 other friends. It was early on in their reunion tour, and they were great that night. It was a collaboration between Billy Perkins and another artist. I ordered a poster from Billy direct, and then decided I wanted to get 2 others to give to my friends who went to the show with me as gifts. For some reason, I ended up having to drive out to Billy's house to get them. He was super nice, and, for some reason, he ended up giving me a couple of other Pixies posters for different shows for free. I was reluctant to take them, but he was pretty insistent.

That image above doesn't do that poster justice. It is on an interesting red paper stock that has slight ridges in it. It's very busy, but there's some fun stuff going on in the background of that one.

Here's a recent one:

View attachment 9165

Blick’s I know...is that where you got the mats, or was it a different site?

"Hmm, i guess so"

View attachment 9167

View attachment 9168

View attachment 9169

Back