Clearaudio Concept

Russ I

I haven't seen any threads devoted to the Clearaudio Concept and would like to hear from any of you who have direct experience with this turntable.

I'm looking at a Concept wood with Satisfy tonearm and Maestro v2 MM cartridge. My current tables are all vintage specimens. My go-to is a Dual 1219 that I've had for at least 10 years. Secondary is a Thorens 125 MKII with SME 3009 Series II non-improved tonearm; third is a Thorens TD-160 with Rega (Iso) RB-251 tonearm from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana. Driving my system are Quad Artera Play + and Artera Stereo, with a Gold Note PH-10 phono stage and PSU-10 power supply. Current speakers are Totem Acoustic Hawks.

Primarily, I'd like to hear from those who have owned the Concept whether you were/are happy with it, where in the scheme of things it has fit (or not) into your component history, and what other turntables you may be able to compare it to. It's a bit of a fishing expedition, I know, but even so, it will be helpful to gather some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

EDITING this post to include info about systems of those who are running Clearaudio turntables (similar to what I've seen for other turntable brands). Now I finally understand why @Mr Moustache shared this info!! :D

@Russ I
Cartridge: Clearaudio Maestro V2
Table: Clearaudio Wood with Satisfy tonearm
Phono Stage: Gold Note PH-10
Phono Stage Power Supply: Gold Note PSU-10
Pre: Quad Artera Play Plus
Power: Quad Artera Stereo
Speakers: Totem Acoustic Hawks
Sub: REL T7i
Interconnects: Pangea Premier SE; Pangea Audio True Balanced Premier SE Cable XLR to XLR
Speaker Cable: BJC 12 with Locking Banana plugs
Power Distributor: Shunyata PS8 Venom, Venom HC extension, Defender, stainless feet

@Mr Moustache
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Bronze
Table: Clearaudio Concept dark wood with Satisfy Kardan arm
Phono Stage: Graham slee Amp2 SE
Headphone Amp: Shiit sys
Speakers: Elac Navis ARB-51

@Poly-Rythmo
Table: Clearaudio Concept
Pre: Quad
Power: Quad
Speakers: Tannoy

Last edited:
I haven't seen any threads devoted to the Clearaudio Concept and would like to hear from any of you who have direct experience with this turntable.

I'm looking at a Concept wood with Satisfy tonearm and Maestro v2 MM cartridge. My current tables are all vintage specimens. My go-to is a Dual 1219 that I've had for at least 10 years. Secondary is a Thorens 125 MKII with SME 3009 Series II non-improved tonearm; third is a Thorens TD-160 with Rega (Iso) RB-251 tonearm from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana. Driving my system are Quad Artera Play + and Artera Stereo, with a Gold Note PH-10 phono stage and PSU-10 power supply. Current speakers are Totem Acoustic Hawks.

Primarily, I'd like to hear from those who have owned the Concept whether you were/are happy with it, where in the scheme of things it has fit (or not) into your component history, and what other turntables you may be able to compare it to. It's a bit of a fishing expedition, I know, but even so, it will be helpful to gather some opinions.

Thanks in advance!
So I'm not an expert but I demoed the entry level about a year ago when I replaced my RP3.... And I loved it. There were some great deals kicking about but thething that made it a no go is the balls out mental border collie/ wooden floor/ concept arm combo. If I could have got the satisfy arm close to price range I'd possibly be playing one now. It was absolutely great. Quick note. It wasnt demoed with the concept cart. Can't recall what it was but it was a shit ton of money.

I ended up dismissing it anyway and the final choice was between the Marantz TT15S1 (as thst came with the satisfy arm so bouncy, bouncy collie issues would be minimised) , Technics 1210GR and I'd started looking at the studiodeck (although I had kinda dismissed it as the cost in the UK isn't cool, man). As I said, if the concept with the satisfy had been anywhere near budget I'd have had a real decision to make as the concept is great, it's just the tone arm that is flawed and it was about £600 to resolve that.

Thanks in advance!
That's my current TT. I started with the concept V2 MM cartridge though. I heard the MC cartridge works really well, so I would consider that, if your phono pre allows it. Overall I like that deck and arm combo, no problem whatsoever so far (been a bit over a year with it). If you can get a good deal for it I'd say go for it (I got mine as an open box from MD and is was brand new)! Otherwise I think you may be over-paying for it on that side of the world and I would consider US made decks (MoFi, VPI...) instead. If look is important for you, it really looks gorgeous with that wood plinth.

Of all the turntables I’ve owned, I miss the Pioneer PLX-1000 a bit (interchangeable headshell) and the Dual 1229Q a lot. That thing just oozed music.

It doesn’t come up in conversation much, but if I lived there, I’d certainly investigate the Funk Firm LSD.

Yeah the funk LSD2 is the turntable that interests me a lot, particularly upgraded to have their top of the range FX3 tonearm and with the walnut and white plinth.

You really have to email them with a list of specs to get what you want and a quote though, their website and store is pretty basic and not that intuitive and they have lots of potential options.

Now I’ve just got to keep reminding myself that I’ve not got the money and I’m not in the market 😂

So I'm not an expert but I demoed the entry level about a year ago when I replaced my RP3.... And I loved it. There were some great deals kicking about but thething that made it a no go is the balls out mental border collie/ wooden floor/ concept arm combo. If I could have got the satisfy arm close to price range I'd possibly be playing one now. It was absolutely great. Quick note. It wasnt demoed with the concept cart. Can't recall what it was but it was a shit ton of money.

I ended up dismissing it anyway and the final choice was between the Marantz TT15S1 (as thst came with the satisfy arm so bouncy, bouncy collie issues would be minimised) , Technics 1210GR and I'd started looking at the studiodeck (although I had kinda dismissed it as the cost in the UK isn't cool, man). As I said, if the concept with the satisfy had been anywhere near budget I'd have had a real decision to make as the concept is great, it's just the tone arm that is flawed and it was about £600 to resolve that.
Appreciate your thoughts/experiences! It's odd that their entry level tonearm is problematic, but I've heard that elsewhere as well.

That's my current TT. I started with the concept V2 MM cartridge though. I heard the MC cartridge works really well, so I would consider that, if your phono pre allows it. Overall I like that deck and arm combo, no problem whatsoever so far (been a bit over a year with it). If you can get a good deal for it I'd say go for it (I got mine as an open box from MD and is was brand new)! Otherwise I think you may be over-paying for it on that side of the world and I would consider US made decks (MoFi, VPI...) instead. If look is important for you, it really looks gorgeous with that wood plinth.
Perfect. Great to hear you are happy with your deck. Thank you.
There's a local dealer I'd be working with who likely will offer a discount and/or have a demo to sell. (His typical clientele is upscale enough that I don't imagine the Clearaudio Concept sees much activity.) The opportunity to see/hear it, avoid shipping, and support a local business lend to this being the best way for me to go, IF I 'go' at all.

Yeah the funk LSD2 is the turntable that interests me a lot, particularly upgraded to have their top of the range FX3 tonearm and with the walnut and white plinth.

You really have to email them with a list of specs to get what you want and a quote though, their website and store is pretty basic and not that intuitive and they have lots of potential options.

Now I’ve just got to keep reminding myself that I’ve not got the money and I’m not in the market 😂
Interesting, but I'm approaching this from a much more conservative head space than would be comfortable with such a choice.

Interesting, but I'm approaching this from a much more conservative head space than would be comfortable with such a choice.

To be honest even their FX5 tonearm that comes as standard is an excellent choice. But that said shipping to you from a small bespoke U.K. company is probably going to hurt.

I don't think there's many of us with a Clearaudio here. Should we still do like for the other decks and list ourselves with the full setup?
For what I've seen when people spin @Poly-Rythmo also is an owner.
@Russ I if you want to somehow edit your first post, you can mine:

Ortofon 2M Bronze
Satisfy Kardan arm
Clearaudio Concept dark wood
Graham slee Amp2 SE
Shiit sys
Elac Navis ARB-51

I don't think there's many of us with a Clearaudio here. Should we still do like for the other decks and list ourselves with the full setup?

Ortofon 2M Bronze
Satisfy Kardan arm
Graham slee Amp2 SE
Shiit sys
Elac Navis ARB-51
Yes, I also have a Clearaudio Concept and am very happy with it. I'm a kind of plug in and play guy so appreciate the ease of set-up etc. I've upgraded the power supply but otherwise haven't done anything apart from occasionally replacing the stylus. I have Quad pre-amp and amp as well as Tannoy speakers so feel it fits in well. Sorry I didn't see this earlier - I'm not really ever in the equipment threads as I upgraded turntable (from a Project budget player) and speakers a few years ago and that's enough for me for a v long time now. I'm afraid I just want something to play and do it reliably rather than play with lots of components so for me this fitted the bill...

PS Somebody else has a Clearaudio as I've been admiring it in What's Spinning recently and wishing they had a wood finish when I bought mine.

Last edited:

Ortofon 2M Bronze
Satisfy Kardan arm
Graham slee Amp2 SE
Shiit sys
Elac Navis ARB-51
Yeah, you must be right about that, which is a bit surprising. But it's okay :D because I'm very happy with the deck, and the Maestro cart.

Yes, I also have a Clearaudio Concept and am very happy with it. I'm a kind of plug in and play guy so appreciate the ease of set-up etc. I've upgraded the power supply but otherwise haven't done anything apart from occasionally replacing the stylus. I have Quad pre-amp and amp as well as Tannoy speakers so feel it fits in well. Sorry I didn't see this earlier - I'm not really ever in the equipment threads as I upgraded turntable (from a Project budget player) and speakers a few years ago and that's enough for me for a v long time now. I'm afraid I just want something to play and do it reliably rather than play with lots of components so for me this fitted the bill...

PS Somebody else has a Clearaudio as I've been admiring it in What's Spinning recently and wishing they had a wood finish when I bought mine.
Thanks for the post. Our systems are somewhat similar with Quads driving it all. Maybe those are my What's Spinning posts because they've included the Concept Wood for the past few weeks.

I bought a second hand Concept and while it’s a beautiful piece of engineering I had problems with skipping. The slightest footfall could trigger it, even with an isolation platform. I’m technically useless so the set up may not have been perfect but I sold it an moved to a Technics 1210GR and have been much happier.

I bought a second hand Concept and while it’s a beautiful piece of engineering I had problems with skipping. The slightest footfall could trigger it, even with an isolation platform. I’m technically useless so the set up may not have been perfect but I sold it an moved to a Technics 1210GR and have been much happier.
which arm did you have? The concept arm is known to be very sensitive to footfalls. You have to upgrade the arm to the satisfy for a perfect play. Going Technics is good move for reliability. Be sure to visit the Technics specific thread.

Agree with @Mr Moustache, I'd read a lot about that very issue with the basic arm--susceptible to footfalls. The Satisfy tonearm is solid as a rock. A friction-free, pivoting rock. :D

Last edited:
Back