Cartridge upgrade

To pose a slightly different question, I have a Uturn Orbit and an Ortofon 2M red. I have a year on it and am thinking of upgrading.

Does the 2M Blue make the most sense or going the Grado/Nagaoka route? Also, what's the point of diminishing returns given the table? Using a Vincent PHO 700 preamp with upgraded tube into a Onkyo receiver and Polk floor speakers. Thanks!
2M Blue would certainly be the easiest with a stylus swap. It's also cheaper if you get it via Thakker. Having said that, I liked my Nagaoka MP-150 more than the Blue. But it's a pretty big price difference too.

I do question if I was getting everything the MP-150 had to offer with the UTurn.

I'd look at a Grado Gold2 or Audio Technica VM95 ML.

i think its down to those two for me. they AT has a the edge in price as its about 60€ cheaper than the Grado.
also is there any advantage buying the one with the headshell if i allready got one ( not from AT though) ?

also sorry @gafacaode for screwing around in your thread ;)

i think its down to those two for me. they AT has a the edge in price as its about 60€ cheaper than the Grado.
also is there any advantage buying the one with the headshell if i allready got one ( not from AT though) ?

also sorry @gafacaode for screwing around in your thread ;)
Haha, I'm glad that this thread was useful to others as well!

Giving a first play with Dexter Gordon's Go.
The hi hats sound super clear, it seems to have a better definition/ sound clarity or whatever the technical name is.
Does it need a break-in period? It sounds better than the Ortofon Blue right out of the gate.
D54B001E-D43C-4104-833F-0AC5E5DE7CFF.jpeg

I think HiFi Guy said they need time to break in, but I didn't hear it. My Grado seemed consistently awesome from the moment I installed it.

Update.
Second run with the 2018 repress of The Lamb lies down on Broadway had some tracking issues.
Solved using the Technics Baerwald Arc Protactor, weight set at 1.5 grams.
It sounds amazing.

Edit: Thank you all!

Giving a first play with Dexter Gordon's Go.
The hi hats sound super clear, it seems to have a better definition/ sound clarity or whatever the technical name is.
Does it need a break-in period? It sounds better than the Ortofon Blue right out of the gate.
View attachment 24669

About 20 hours. It takes a definite jump at that stage.

Update.
Second run with the 2018 repress of The Lamb lies down on Broadway had some tracking issues.
It sounds amazing.

Also I’m pretty sure i set my tracking force at 1.65 on @HiFi Guy recommendation, I’m sure he’ll confirm whether I remember right or am just going mad as usual.

Update.
It sounds amazing.

20 hours break in and 1.65 grams is the magic number. Baerwald alignment is the way to go.

Relative beginner here... been listening on my Pro-Ject (same ortofon red) since May 2018, so basically 2 years on the dot.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. If I wanted to upgrade to Ortofon Blue, can I use the same cartridge and just swap stylus? Looks like $160 for stylus alone and about $230 for the whole cartridge.
  2. How will I know when my current cartridge/stylus needs to be replaced?

My listening has gone in waves due to moving to a new home last fall.
  • So when I first received, I listened to 3-5 hours per week for roughly the first 14 months (~250 hours)
  • Then I had my stuff in storage for 3 months (0)
  • Then I'll estimate 3 hours per week from Oct 2019 thru Jan 2020 (50 hours).
  • Upgraded my speakers and then listening picked up before quarantine (25 hours).
  • Probably been listening for 3-4 hours per weekday during quarantine - last 5 weeks (75 hours).
  • Total estimate: 400 hours

Relative beginner here... been listening on my Pro-Ject (same ortofon red) since May 2018, so basically 2 years on the dot.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. If I wanted to upgrade to Ortofon Blue, can I use the same cartridge and just swap stylus? Looks like $160 for stylus alone and about $230 for the whole cartridge.
  2. How will I know when my current cartridge/stylus needs to be replaced?

My listening has gone in waves due to moving to a new home last fall.
  • So when I first received, I listened to 3-5 hours per week for roughly the first 14 months (~250 hours)
  • Then I had my stuff in storage for 3 months (0)
  • Then I'll estimate 3 hours per week from Oct 2019 thru Jan 2020 (50 hours).
  • Upgraded my speakers and then listening picked up before quarantine (25 hours).
  • Probably been listening for 3-4 hours per weekday during quarantine - last 5 weeks (75 hours).
  • Total estimate: 400 hours

Welcome!

If you want a nice jump in performance, swap the Red stylus for the Blue. The cartridge bodies are identical.

1000 hours is the general lifespan of a stylus. If you’ve only got 400, you have some life left.

Back