buzz buzz buzz

yukbon

So. I recently switched out my old table for @AnthonyI 's Pioneer PLX-1000 -- whoever called those things tanks was not kidding, it weighs more than a guilty conscience. I am still unsold on what cart to get so I have temporarily put the old cart, an ortofon 5e, on the pioneer and did the cable plugging and balancing etc etc. It works a treat....but there is a buzzing. It stays at a constant volume, but any music playing through the needle cuts it way down so it almost disappears. Quiet passages show that it's still there.

Signal path: PLX-1000 > Pro-ject Tube Box DS (set for MM cart) > Reciever

I have not grounded the DS or the PLX; I didn't need to with the previous table. Halp.

So. I recently switched out my old table for @AnthonyI 's Pioneer PLX-1000 -- whoever called those things tanks was not kidding, it weighs more than a guilty conscience. I am still unsold on what cart to get so I have temporarily put the old cart, an ortofon 5e, on the pioneer and did the cable plugging and balancing etc etc. It works a treat....but there is a buzzing. It stays at a constant volume, but any music playing through the needle cuts it way down so it almost disappears. Quiet passages show that it's still there.

Signal path: PLX-1000 > Pro-ject Tube Box DS (set for MM cart) > Reciever

I have not grounded the DS or the PLX; I didn't need to with the previous table. Halp.

You need to ground the plx. You can ground it to either the DS or the receiver, whichever deals with the hum the best.

Well. I have found out that my reciever does not have a ground plug on the back, which...what?! BUT the DS does, and that solved it, so...thank you!
For what it’s worth, you can generally ground to a body screw on the receiver even if it doesn’t have a dedicated ground. But I’m glad the phono fixed it!

Back