Budget table recommendations

Mrjay07

Morning all! Hope Xmas is treating you all kindly!!
I've finally convinced a very good friend, with exceptional musical taste, to get into the wonderful world of vinyl.
I have a Rega P3 with Exact 2 cart but she doesn't want to spend that much.
Other than suggesting the P1 or P2, based on What HiFi reviews, can anyone suggest something that will give her a lot of joy?
Would have to be available for her to demo in the UK.
Budget will be up to £500.
Thanks & Happy New Year!!

I've finally convinced a very good friend, with exceptional musical taste, to get into the wonderful world of vinyl.
Other than suggesting the P1 or P2, based on What HiFi reviews, can anyone suggest something that will give her a lot of joy?

At that budget and in the UK I’d not hesitate to say the Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB one that I have. It’s a great little table. If you can find a good January deal with £500 you might even be able to squeeze in a blue stylus too to get the needed upgrade from the supplied red.

That’s the cheapest I’ve seen it recently, is usually around £450-£470

Before my LP12 I had a Rega P2 that I then added a Nagoaka MP110 cart and the white Rega belt, and it was a great table so I’d highly recommend that route also.

I normally don't recommend Rega, as they just aren't great values in the States once the US importer gets their cut. For your situation though, a P2 would be a good move. Skip the Elys cartridge though and get an Audio Technica AT95ML.

Edit: Don't buy the P1. It's a bit of a dog.

Last edited:
I normally don't recommend Rega, as they just aren't great values in the States once the US importer gets their cut. For your situation though, a P2 would be a good move. Skip the Elys cartridge though and get an Audio Technica AT95ML.

Edit: Don't buy the P1. It's a bit of a dog.

Think the P2 comes with a Carbon fitted from what I've read.
Not sure if my friend will want to play about with cartridges but luckily there are a few audio shops around where we live.
Feel a demo day coming on for her!😁

At that budget and in the UK I’d not hesitate to say the Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB one that I have. It’s a great little table. If you can find a good January deal with £500 you might even be able to squeeze in a blue stylus too to get the needed upgrade from the supplied red.

That’s the cheapest I’ve seen it recently, is usually around £450-£470

How would you class the sound? Warm? Clinical?
I've only ever had my Rega so I'm not the most knowledgeable.
Project seem to do many variations of the debut! Could be an adventure for her when doing the demos!
Are you using the Ortofon blue then? Instead of a Red?

Think the P2 comes with a Carbon fitted from what I've read.
Not sure if my friend will want to play about with cartridges but luckily there are a few audio shops around where we live.
Feel a demo day coming on for her!😁

Definitely consider upgrading the cartridge then. The Carbon is a $20 A/T that is badge engineered for Rega and sold here for $65.

The P2 (and your friend) deserve better.

How would you class the sound? Warm? Clinical?
I've only ever had my Rega so I'm not the most knowledgeable.
Project seem to do many variations of the debut! Could be an adventure for her when doing the demos!
Are you using the Ortofon blue then? Instead of a Red?

Its quite a transparent table in my experience, it takes on the characteristics of its cartridge. The red is a bit of a muddy mess. I actually didn’t mind it when it was on the table, I had nothing else to compare it to, I noticed how bad it was more when I upgraded! The blue is a good stylus (Uses the same cartridge as the red) much more detailed without being too bright. It does tend to detail over warmth though which can be a bit of a problem if the rest of the system is bright. I have switched cartridge completely now and am using a grado gold2. It’s a little less detailed but lovely and warm. I’m the type of person who will keep itching to experiment so I’ll probably go through a few more stylus/cartridge combos as the time passes.

The one I linked to is the top of the range for debuts. I’d go for it because of the speed change more than anything, you’ve no idea how handy I find that. The acrylic platter is a pretty big upgrade over the standard too and is cheaper on the table with the esprit than it is buying it after the fact.

Two months ago I took a chance, drove 125 miles and purchased a used Technics SL-1800MKII for $300.00. Under the dust cover it's minty but the exterior base and dust cover shows the years. Mechanically it's perfect. I'm amazed and a bit surprised it is performing so well given the age. I had been looking at a few of the lower priced new TT's but they scare me a bit. I found the 1800 on a Facebook local sales page.

Back