April 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 6: Tartan Day

With the last name of Hunter, my dad's dad's side of the family was all from Scotland. My dad wasn't real close to his own father - and his grandfather came over from Scotland, had some kids, and then went back. I do know that his name was Walter MacFarlane Hunter....MacFarlane was also my dad's middle name - and it is my older brother's, too.

There are various tartans for Clan Hunter - Clan Hunter - Wikipedia

As for this release, I have quite a few Donavan albums, but I find myself playing this mostly. It has a great track list, and a good amount of the songs are in mono.

Donovan ‎– The E.P. Collection
See For Miles Records Ltd. ‎– SEE 300, 1990

A mix of Mono/Stereo tracks

Cut by George "Porky" Peckham
Pressed at MPO

LnpQzZ.jpg

BZOsEp.jpg

wLKtrg.jpg

Day 8: 8-Track

Play an album with 8 tracks on it

It's kinda funny how difficult it was to find some options. LIke, 8 doesn't seem like a particularly low number but 9s and 10s everywhere, no one wanted to condense to eight. Found a couple R&B items, one classic rock album I'd be surprised if someone else doesn't pull out, a Julia Holter 2 LP that I just can't handle today, and this pop gem which hasn't been spun in too long.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion Side B

(Discogs says EP, I am calling it an album for the purposes of this challenge)

PXL_20210408_130007157.jpg

Day 08: 8-Track
Play an album with 8 tracks on it
Neil Young - On The Beach
525A66A9-6DB2-4556-8C29-879BDB439351.jpeg

I wish more current artists took their cues from classics like On The Beach and dropped albums with ideally 8 to 12 tracks (the exception being GBV). Anything more than that, the number “filler” tracks typically start to raise exponentially.

Day 7: “…they’ll hang it in the Louvre”

The first copy of this record I had I gave to @Selaws for Secret Santa a year or so back...but then I had to get it again. I like the music, but both times I actually wanted it for this cover photo - Toni Frissell's "Weeki Wachee Spring, Florida". Was originally published in Harper's Bazaar, Dec. 1947, then in Sport's Illustrated, 1955.

Bill Evans - Jim Hall ‎– Undercurrent
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab/Blue Note ‎– MOFI 1-031/509997-04873-1-2, 1962/2014

Cut by Krieg Wunderlich at MoFi
Pressed at RTI

cDF9fg.jpg

onsH87.jpg

Day 8 - 8 Track

I remember this one being an album I copied to a cassette - from my brothers cassette, back when it was released. I listened to this and some other album on the other side for a few summers when mowing. (Portable CD players skipped when on a riding lawn mower...this was also pre-mp3 and "anit-skipping" didn't help)

The Sisters Of Mercy ‎– Vision Thing
Merciful Release/EastWest ‎– MR 449 L, 1990

European release

DMM cut at The Exchange
Pressed at Record Service Alsdorf

HnTA2h.jpg

c7hvKB.jpg

K6LNNY.jpg

Back