April 2021 Challenge Thread

Yeah, that original review was absurd. I think it has since been scrubbed from the site and replaced with one of their glowing Sunday reviews in an attempt to rewrite history.

EDIT: Yup...

DOUBLE EDIT: Thankfully the internet never forgets...

They always meant 8.0 and not 0.8. Obviously a typo. ;)

Day 6: Tartan Day
play something Scottish

First off, here's my family's tartan, to go with the theme:

McNeil_of_Barra_700x.jpg

The Twilight Sad - IT WON/T BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME

I'm going for the most audibly Scottish singer in my vinyl collection.

20210406_151059.jpg

Day 7: “...they’ll hang it in the Louvre

Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre.

Show us your favourite album cover!

A. Top flight lyric choice, one of the great little couplets of pop music.
B. The Melodrama album cover as in my final 5 or so on this one, so I'd love if someone chose this too.
C. The remainder of my rough Top 5 were Neko Case's "Middle Cyclone", Mikel's "Zelda & Chill", Bruce Springsteen's "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J." (that fold out post card cover is still one of the most clever design elements I've seen) and my choice. (hidden in case people are embarking on this and don't want my opinions on the other items)

I went with this one mostly because it's what struck me at 9 AM in the morning, but it's also one of those covers that looks fantastic artistically and that appropriately fits the theme/mood of the music : a singular, naked individual (I am guessing lead singer Kelly Zutrau) from the back, in a closed off, vulnerable position with the shadow of an arm enclosed over her. The music embraces, very much, this kind of mood - an album highlighted by its pre-breakup tracks, where a relationship is on its downturn but neither party is ready to pull the plug, a shadow looming over two people. Some really beautiful work. The photographer Milan Zrnic has worked with the band before in several spots but the work is worth a look over, there's a great use of negative space and contrast in so many of his photos that also works here.

Wet - Don't You

PXL_20210407_131522432.jpg

Day 5 - Hard to Find
Quelle Chris - Guns

This is a hard one. A few years ago would be easier with King Crimson or De La, but I guess they resolved whatever was making them take everything off youtube. Don't know who else is crazy about dmca takedowns, but it seems like otherwise there is at least an unofficial rip on there. Still the case with this one, but if you look at official sources, you won't find the original version of Box of Wheaties, which is on the LP. I much prefer it to the beat on the official streaming versions.

PXL_20210407_143833587.jpg

I figured The Scottish challenge would have been easier. Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Frightened Rabbit, Teenage Fanclub, Travis, Franz Ferdinand, Aztec Camera, The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Bay City Rollers. etc... etc... etc...
All holes in my collection, haha. Also not the easiest to search for. RYM just files it as U.K. I got one that might be my only band I know is from there I'm surprised I wasn't scooped on yet.

Back