Add a Subwoofer?

The oversimplified answer is that it controls whether a positive voltage should cause the speaker cone to push forward or pull back. Assuming it's right next to your regular speaker, you want the subwoofer to push forward the same time as the regular speaker. That would cause both speakers to work in harmony. The other phase would mean the subwoofer is pulling back while the regular speaker is pushing forward, and they would try to cancel each other out.
Of course, it gets a lot more complicated when you move the subwoofer away from your stereo speakers, as most people do. In which case, yeah, just play with the switch until it sounds okay from your chair.
So it's sitting next to my regular speakers so should it be 0? This seems to be what I've read. But it actually sounds better at 180 to me. 0 actually sounded like it was blocking other frequencies to me.

So it's sitting next to my regular speakers so should it be 0? This seems to be what I've read. But it actually sounds better at 180 to me. 0 actually sounded like it was blocking other frequencies to me.
I don't know. I'm not not sure if there is a standard for the direction. I figure there is a 50/50 chance that 0 would be the right setting. If you think the other sounds better, use it!

Whatever sounds fuller is the correct setting.

Also this thread inspired me to go mess around with my SVS sub port tuning for an hour so, uh, thanks?

Me again.. with another newb questions. Ideally, where would I set the crossover on the subwoofer for my Elac B6s? The lowest setting it goes is 80. I have it set there currently but I read for bookshelf speakers that you might want it up more towards 100. But the Elacs have pretty big woofers on them so I don't know. Any thoughts?

Me again.. with another newb questions. Ideally, where would I set the crossover on the subwoofer for my Elac B6s? The lowest setting it goes is 80. I have it set there currently but I read for bookshelf speakers that you might want it up more towards 100. But the Elacs have pretty big woofers on them so I don't know. Any thoughts?
Take a look at some response curves. 80 appears to be a pretty solid intersection to begin where the B6 starts to severely roll off. You could try different values up to 100 to see what works best for your particular setup.

I've got mine set to 80 with my B6s and I'm happy with the bass I get. Although I haven't really played around with it too much. What kind of music are you listening to?

I've got mine set to 80 with my B6s and I'm happy with the bass I get. Although I haven't really played around with it too much. What kind of music are you listening to?
Typically indie rock. Since I got it I've listened to Ibeyi, QOTSA, Pearl Jam and REM and find myself consistently tweaking the volume and phase switch. I assume eventually I'll find a setting that works for all. I haven't messed with crossover at all yet though.

Looking at the measured response for the B6, I'd say somewhere between 80-100hz would work well.

Typically indie rock. Since I got it I've listened to Ibeyi, QOTSA, Pearl Jam and REM and find myself consistently tweaking the volume and phase switch. I assume eventually I'll find a setting that works for all. I haven't messed with crossover at all yet though.
Try it with an album you are familiar with, once at 80 and again at 100 and see if you like one better than the other. If you can get someone to change the crossover for you to do it blind, even better.

For me, 80 gives me strong bass for rock music and clear sound for the bass lines of jazz.

Try it with an album you are familiar with, once at 80 and again at 100 and see if you like one better than the other. If you can get someone to change the crossover for you to do it blind, even better.

For me, 80 gives me strong bass for rock music and clear sound for the bass lines of jazz.
Unfortunately since I got it I haven't had much listening time. What subwoofer do you have just curious?

Back