Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

It looks like despite the shot being free, there are costs / bills associated with it.

I was just reading about how when someone got their shot they asked for insurance. He had asked why do you need my insurance, the shots supposed to be free. They replied with "Administrative Fees".

And sure enough, there were administrative fees that showed up on their EBO. Though covered by their insurance 100%. The shot it self was billed for $0.01.

But what happens when someone doesn't have insurance>
I think we covered this in here a while back. You can't be denied the shot if you don't have insurance, they just eat the fees. It's just to help out with administrative costs.

From the CDC's Website:

The federal government is providing the vaccine free of charge to all people living in the United States, regardless of their immigration or health insurance status.
COVID-19 vaccination providers cannot:

• Charge you for the vaccine
  • Charge you directly for any administration fees, copays, coinsurance, or the balance of the bill after appropriate reimbursement
  • Deny vaccination to anyone who does not have health insurance coverage, is underinsured, or is out of network
  • Charge an office visit or other fee to the recipient if the only service provided is a COVID-19 vaccination
  • Require additional services in order for a person to receive a COVID-19 vaccine; however, additional healthcare services can be provided at the same time and billed as appropriate
COVID-19 vaccination providers can:

It looks like despite the shot being free, there are costs / bills associated with it.

I was just reading about how when someone got their shot they asked for insurance. He had asked why do you need my insurance, the shots supposed to be free. They replied with "Administrative Fees".

And sure enough, there were administrative fees that showed up on their EBO. Though covered by their insurance 100%. The shot it self was billed for $0.01.

But what happens when someone doesn't have insurance>

I don’t bother getting the shot.
^^^Exactly!!

They don't get the shot.
I think we covered this in here a while back. You can't be denied the shot if you don't have insurance, they just eat the fees. It's just to help out with administrative costs.

From the CDC's Website:

The federal government is providing the vaccine free of charge to all people living in the United States, regardless of their immigration or health insurance status.
COVID-19 vaccination providers cannot:

• Charge you for the vaccine
  • Charge you directly for any administration fees, copays, coinsurance, or the balance of the bill after appropriate reimbursement
  • Deny vaccination to anyone who does not have health insurance coverage, is underinsured, or is out of network
  • Charge an office visit or other fee to the recipient if the only service provided is a COVID-19 vaccination
  • Require additional services in order for a person to receive a COVID-19 vaccine; however, additional healthcare services can be provided at the same time and billed as appropriate
COVID-19 vaccination providers can:

And despite this in clear language on the CDC's website, people still do not trust that:
1. They will really not be charged by our for profit medical system
2. They don't believe anything the government says, especially the CDC given their information snafus over the past year.

I'm also curious if those without insurance are hesitant to try to make an appointment for a vaccine since most hospital systems ask people for their insurance information prior to scheduling an appointment. I get it that people that are uninsured can go to a pharmacy where there is minimal paperwork and hassle, but I wonder how many people are put off because they do not think that a health system will give them an appointment based on their insurance status.

RIP Royal Caribbean.

I don't know about most others, but I'm not getting on a cruise ship that doesn't require people to be vaccinated. Those ships are an outbreak waiting to happen.

Edit: Actually, it doesn't appear to be entirely Royal Caribbean's fault. This is more of let's blame Florida and Texas. Royal Caribbean was previously requiring vaccination proof.

The about-face is an apparent submission to Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has insisted that there will be no exception made for cruise companies to a newly passed Florida law that fines companies $5,000 each time they ask a patron to provide proof of vaccination. Royal Caribbean International’s sister brand Celebrity Cruises (both owned by Royal Caribbean Group) is still requiring all passengers 16 years old or older be vaccinated on its seven-night Caribbean cruises that are restarting from Port Everglades on June 26.

Texas as also now passed a similar law.

All I have to say is Fuck the GOP. How stupid can they be with controlling pandemics.

The Vax Express, run by CIC Health, will take over an MBTA Commuter Rail train creating a rolling vaccination site that will make stops at stations in disproportionately impacted communities with low vaccination rates.

The public can walk up without an appointment or book an appointment in advance.

The Vax Express will offer the two-dose Pfizer vaccine for ages 12 and up and the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine for ages 18 and up.

A second round of vaccinations aboard the Vax Express will take place July 7 to 11 at the same locations. Dates and times have not been released.

The "lab-leak" theory is idiotic. Just because it's "possible" doesn't mean it's "likely". Fuck people like Jon Stewart.

Everyone (right, left, "center") is so infected with conspiracy brain they want to believe that there are vast forces at work controlling their lives, rather than to try to understand the world. It's easier to believe a simple explanation for something rather than to actually try to understand what is going on in the world.

I'm tired.

I went grocery shopping last week and everyone was wearing masks. I went again on Monday and noticed about half of the employees and customers wearing masks. I'll probably still wear one for a little while in shops because it's still just weird to not have one. I didn't see, and I don't expect anyone to cause a big fuss about someone else wearing a mask.

The "lab-leak" theory is idiotic. Just because it's "possible" doesn't mean it's "likely". Fuck people like Jon Stewart.

Everyone (right, left, "center") is so infected with conspiracy brain they want to believe that there are vast forces at work controlling their lives, rather than to try to understand the world. It's easier to believe a simple explanation for something rather than to actually try to understand what is going on in the world.

I'm tired.
This is a direct consequence of the loss of public trust. I think it speaks more to the dysfunction of our government than individual people. And as for the vast forces at work controlling our lives, what about the years of stagnant wages, increases in housing that makes it very hard for anyone who isn't in the top 20% of income earners to own a house, the changes in the tax code that only benefit the rich while reducing our services and benefits, ecological destruction from industries that the regular person cannot even begin to recycle our way out of, the insane amount of dark money in politics that is keeping the voice of the average American from being enacted, I could go on, but you get the idea. I'm not saying that I believe in this theory, but I am saying that there are a lot of people out there that feel powerless to change their circumstance, and that powerlessness has direct implications.

"When people feel threatened and out of control, it’s natural to want to feel more control and bring order to the randomness by resorting to conspiracy theories,” says John Cook, PhD, founder of the website Skeptical Science and co-author of “The Conspiracy Theory Handbook.”

So I got my 2nd dose 48 hrs ago. Had a mixed AZ-Pfizer course. I somehow got through my second dose pretty unscathed considering all the talk about this mixed course causing enhanced short term side effects. Had some mild fatigue, aches and a low grade fever but no headache and didn't have to stop my daily activities. Much better than my first AZ dose which completely took me out for a day.

So happy to have had this opportunity.

If you are all not familiar with the Saga, the CDC said that only fully vaccinated people can go on cruises when cruises return. Florida then passed a law overriding the CDC saying the cruise industry can not ask for proof of vaccination and that it's a $5000 fine per person they ask.

The CDC challenged Florida's law, but the Federal Judge just ruled in favor of Florida on the grounds that the CDC likely doesn't have the constitutional power to make such a mandate.

And here is an eye roll worthy response to Friday's victory from Florida's governor:
"The CDC has been wrong all along, and they knew it," Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said in a statement. "The CDC and the Biden Administration concocted a plan to sink the cruise industry, hiding behind bureaucratic delay and lawsuits."

"Today's ruling is a victory for the hardworking Floridians whose livelihoods depend on the cruise industry," Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody said in a statement. "The federal government does not, nor should it ever, have the authority to single out and lock down an entire industry indefinitely."

Florida ended daily reports on COVID-19 earlier this month in favor of weekly reports citing that the pandemic is over and daily reporting is no longer needed.

Now that we are seeing the weekly reports, people have noticed that there is a lot of information we were previously getting in the daily reports that is not included in the weekly reports.

For example, the weekly report does not include any public information on the following:
  • Deaths per county
  • Vaccination information
  • List of long term care facilities with COVID-19 infections and deaths.
“They said they were going to reduce it to weekly reporting, but they didn’t even do that. They just pulled the plug,” said Brian Lee, executive director of the national advocacy organization Families For Better Care. “When we know that long-term care facilities have been Ground Zero for the virus, this is stick-your-head-in-the-sand policy.”

Cases in the United States are starting to increase again after the downward trend we saw when the vaccine became available.

The increase in new cases is attributed to the Delta variant and low vaccination rates in some states.

Cases in the United States are starting to increase again after the downward trend we saw when the vaccine became available.

The increase in new cases is attributed to the Delta variant and low vaccination rates in some states.

Experts have been seeing it slowly rise for a few weeks.

I'm a bit shocked at how low vaccination rates plateaued in some states. For example, I was looking at the Nevada rates the other day and it was 50%/42% (1st/2nd dose). I was looking because my Habs are playing Vegas and they're allowing an arena that's pretty much full over there. Montreal only allows 3500 people in their arena and Quebec is at 80%/20% (1st/2nd dose). And on top of that the daily case rate is about the same at 130 cases but Quebec is 3 times bigger. We're generally pretty open although large, particularly indoor, gatherings are still restricted and masking is required in indoor public spaces.

The lower vaccination rates and the generally open behavior is perfect for Delta.

The number of hospitalizations are starting to spike again in some cities where there are low vaccination rates.

Deaths are not up yet, but that could change soon.

Delta is hitting the unvaccinated ard. Especially the young and African Americans.

Experts are warning that Delta could lead to a very tough fall in the United States

Back