Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

fun times in Texas right now.

IMG_8308.jpg
city of SA health official just resigned; bars and venues are permanently closing while the government refuses to help ("a pandemic was not in our business model"); my parents are both ill.

these alerts won't stop going off while city officials try to stress distancing and masks, while also having their hands legally tied when it comes to enforcement. grown people being spoiled brats all over.

The atmosphere in rural KY is deceptively mundane. I feel that in these parts people build a mental wall between them and the big cities, even our college town doesn't feel like a "city" so it's easy to foster the idea that what's happening elsewhere isn't threatening us. But if that's case, why did campus have to shut down entirely and why are most business still taking precautions? People are starting to get careless again and it scares the hell out of me. A lot of people down here never took it very seriously to begin with since their lord and savior cockwomble told them not to, but I fear even the more rational people are starting to push back towards "normalcy." I do still see masks, which is good, but I'm not very optimistic at the state of things.

I'm taking all online classes this coming semester because I just simply do not trust the people in charge to keep campus safe. I just keep feeling like we'll be facing another major shutdown again in the fall and I'm trying to prepare somewhat. I will probably still have to risk it by going to work at the library, but I'd rather be sitting at a desk by myself distanced from everyone else than be packed into a classroom with 30 other people. One scenario feels a bit safer than the other.

I don't know how things will go and what's in store but I just can't help but feel we haven't seen the end of this yet.

You have to be a little careful with % positive comparisons when it comes to testing in different countries because a lot of it is related on exactly *who* is being tested. If you concentrate your tests on symptomatic people in hot zones, your percentages will be higher than in places where a lot of asymptomatic population testing is being performed (say, if you count daily/weekly routine tests of government officials or sports league athletes where nobody has exhibited symptoms, or if you just test the population at large to see how things are going). The percentage also changes over time depending on where each country is in their curves. NYC was upwards of 15% in April IIRC.

That said that US percentage is quite high and the infection curves are also rising sharply. The infection on those states is likely already out of control and testing can't keep up. Adjustments will have to be made - which ideally means shut downs of certain sectors and targeted testing strategies until things are under control again.
Sorry if I was unclear. I meant to imply true positives in the population. With a higher prevalence (number of people in the population with a disease) it will naturally translate to more incidence (number of people contracting a disease in a given time). I am concerned because without social distancing and masks along with our high prevalence rate compared to other countries--look at our infection rate curves--we are really going to have problems. Experts estimate that our true prevalence for Covid in the US is around 5%. However, with such a high contraction factor, this can easily blow up especially since we are saying that we aren't going to shut down again.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant to imply true positives in the population. With a higher prevalence (number of people in the population with a disease) it will naturally translate to more incidence (number of people contracting a disease in a given time). I am concerned because without social distancing and masks along with our high prevalence rate compared to other countries--look at our infection rate curves--we are really going to have problems. Experts estimate that our true prevalence for Covid in the US is around 5%. However, with such a high contraction factor, this can easily blow up especially since we are saying that we aren't going to shut down again.

I also didn't mean to be pedantic about anything - sorry if it came off that way. I was trying to be informative more than anything else.

That % positive rate in testing is one of the metrics that the WHO uses to gauge whether a place has controlled the local epidemic. But there are tons of caveats to it since each area goes about it differently in deciding who gets a test. Here, the criteria for getting a test kept changing over time (only those that traveled first, then only symptomatic, then only those in essential services and symptomatic to preserve resources (symptomatic and confined were just told they were presumptive and to stay home unless it worsened), etc...).

I actually agree with everything you say. This is a crucial moment in many states. In fact, I'm afraid it's already quite late and that it's already destined to blow up very badly. But it's never too late to try to flatten the curve.

I've seen this one before as well, it's completely ridiculous to draw such a conclusion. yet my "friends" on FB who are on the right accuse the left of fear mongering.

Normally I'd tell myself - it's just FB, move on and ignore. But people are spreading bad info which encourages others to act in an unsafe manner. It makes me want to confront each of these people but I just can't.

Some people in the cesspool that is FB are still saying this is the Dems pushing an agenda and the spiked states are fudging numbers because that's where Trump rallies are/were planned.

Also saw today that 'masks shut down your immune system.' Where in the actual fuck does this come from??

Sorry, after being calm for a while about all this, I'm frustrated and fired up today. Trying not to bring politics into this thread, but I have never seen anything like this in my life. Longstanding proven facts being ignored in favor of 'this guy on Youtube nailed it!'

How can anyone believe this stuff?

View attachment 54269
As a descendant of German Jews (some of whom did die in concentration camps), I find this rhetoric appalling. When did concentration camps become a fun thing to put on a meme? How long has to pass before the mass execution of a people is used as a political tool instead of an episode of terror that we never want to repeat again? I get so sick of this shit. We are talking about people dying not about whether stock prices are falling.

Messages Image(3513794177).png

So, masks are only required during senior shopping hour? Not not really, because if your not wearing one we will assume it's due to a medical conditions? WTF.

View attachment 54278

So, masks are only required during senior shopping hour? Not not really, because if your not wearing one we will assume it's due to a medical conditions? WTF.
that's not how I would read the first point, but utilizing the same colors and font I can see how someone could come to that conclusion. I would assume these are two separate signs, the first being that they have dedicated store hours for high risk populations on Sunday. the second sign is requiring face masks, but the part at the bottom in gray is going to give all the patriotic rebels out there who refuse to wear a mask an excuse not to wear one, and I can see that creating problems.

As a descendant of German Jews (some of whom did die in concentration camps), I find this rhetoric appalling. When did concentration camps become a fun thing to put on a meme? How long has to pass before the mass execution of a people is used as a political tool instead of an episode of terror that we never want to repeat again? I get so sick of this shit. We are talking about people dying not about whether stock prices are falling.

I agree, it's appalling and I am so incredibly sick of this shit too.

I lost a friend at work, and I guess I have to assume good riddance. I said I didn't want to overhear his political views at work. He stops into the office and shop and holds court with the other anti-maskers, yelling about this and that. I can't ignore it when it's in earshot in my workplace, and I cant deal with hearing it so I said something. Previously he and I could talk sports, TV, or golf or whatever but now there's a divide that exists; he actively avoids saying hi or exchanging any pleasantries at this point. On one hand, it's sad that we can't get past it and communicate any more but I really can't handle his stance on things so I guess it's for the better.

My reaction to almost everything posted in here

tenor.gif

fun times in Texas right now.

View attachment 54113
city of SA health official just resigned; bars and venues are permanently closing while the government refuses to help ("a pandemic was not in our business model"); my parents are both ill.

these alerts won't stop going off while city officials try to stress distancing and masks, while also having their hands legally tied when it comes to enforcement. grown people being spoiled brats all over.
Okay,
1. I love this phone background.
2. WHY DO PEOPLE WANT THEIR GOVERNMENTS TO BE RUN LIKE BUSINESSES?

THE <clap emoji> GOAL <clap emoji> OF <clap emoji> GOVERNMENT <clap emoji> IS <clap emoji> NOT <clap emoji> PROFIT

3. Are your parents being or have they gotten tested? How hard is it hitting them? Worried and sad and, more than anything, angry for you.
4. You are rad.

I know a lot of you got to this conclusion before me, but I'm losing faith. I can't believe platitudes about Americans rising to the occasion, because we don't even all recognize the existence of the same occasion anymore.

Back