Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Anyone feel like we're in the beginning stages of a combination of Idiocracy, The Hunger Games, and The Handmaid's Tale?
YES. It's going to get bad in NOLA. Poverty and lack of resources are going to make this thing so much worse here. I am so worried about my town and my people.

YES. It's going to get bad in NOLA. Poverty and lack of resources are going to make this thing so much worse here. I am so worried about my town and my people.

just reinforcing your poverty point

So about this $1200 stimulus.

The democrats fought to give everyone $1200 now and not figure out what poor people would not qualify for the full amount and pay them less.

The bad news is, those poor people will have to pay it back as the senate bill currently stands. If your 2020 tax return is less than $1200 you will have to pay the difference back over 3 years. Everyone is going to find that their 2020 tax return is $1200 less because of the $1200 paid out in advance due to this stimulus.

Do you read french?

Some idiot tried to go to two grocery stores after freshly driving back from the US and was refused entry. They spotted him because he went directly to the store with his RV. The store owners didn't call the police but did post a photo of the RV online.

Yes I can because I'm French, and that guy is a prime example of a covidiot!

The democrats fought to give everyone $1200 now and not figure out what poor people would not qualify for the full amount and pay them less.

The bad news is, those poor people will have to pay it back as the senate bill currently stands. If your 2020 tax return is less than $1200 you will have to pay the difference back over 3 years. Everyone is going to find that their 2020 tax return is $1200 less because of the $1200 paid out in advance due to this stimulus.
Where did you see that pay back confirmed? I was looking earlier and didn't see it.

My understanding is this is not coming from our tax returns but our tax liability. If you normally owe $5k a year in taxes (normally taken out by your employer) next year you would owe $3.8k and could expect the same refund check next year as you received this year.

Tax returns? Ha! What are those? I generally have to cut 5 digit checks.

Where did you see that pay back confirmed? I was looking earlier and didn't see it.

Well, it's not exactly confirmed. It could change with the House vote.

But this was in an article about what changes were made to the bill to reach a deal in the Senate.

The Senate republicans wanted to audit everyones income, and reduce the $1200 amount for people who were of low income because their 2020 tax return wouldn't give them $1200 back.

The democrats wanted to pay everyone $1200 now and speed things up. The Republicans agreed to that with the provision of the difference being paid back over the next 3 years tax returns.

The article I read was dated Tuesday evening. It may not still be relevent.

just reinforcing your poverty point
I was just talking about this with a nurse that I work with. The new thing to do in health insurance is talk about social determinants of health, which is something that was done in public health for years and years before health insurance realized that they were missing the boat. I encounter this very thing all the time internally and externally in my organization. Unless you've lived pay check to pay check on a crappy job or two, you have no idea what the poor really need. They completely miss out on how to curb expenses in this population because they have no idea how to navigate the world with very little money. It's a different mindset that is driven by survival not comfort. It's so sad to see how out of touch the people are who are making decisions for all of us.

Also, it doesn't look like we are flattening the curve at all right now.

1585245013286.png

Back