Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Articles like this suck because it’s really only about demonizing the other side rather then examining their position. It’s obvious that it’s not hypocritical for the governor to have this stance. He thinks that medical rights are more important than the rights of an employer.
It contains an outright basic arithmetic error as well which really erodes credibility for me.

from tfa:
Multiplying two negative numbers doesn't get you a positive number.

Um, actually, yeah, it does, sooooo I guess you mean summing?

The traditional republican stance is that this is still a huge over-reach. I mean, that's been a republican mainstay argument since like, before Roe V Wade and one of the stated reasons for defunding Planned Parenthood -- "no tax dollars for abortions!" etc. There are a lot of choice words for Abbott and hypocrite is absolutely one of the many fitting ones, I think.

Although I don’t agree with the pro life stance I don’t think that it’s all that hypocritical to have pro life and anti vaccine mandates. They just like to carve out certain exceptions that I don’t agree with.

It contains an outright basic arithmetic error as well which really erodes credibility for me.

from tfa:

Um, actually, yeah, it does, sooooo I guess you mean summing?
I find errors like this in way too many articles.
I have concluded that economist can't do math.

Although I don’t agree with the pro life stance I don’t think that it’s all that hypocritical to have pro life and anti vaccine mandates. They just like to carve out certain exceptions that I don’t agree with.
I'm not even trying to juxtapose the morality or ethics of either stance or contrast them; the government reaching in and telling you "you must provide insurance/health care for this condition" has been demonized as a prime example of government overreach and they have used exactly that as an excuse against laws protecting that coverage and as an excuse to cut funding for anyone providing such care. But now this isn't a prime and identical example of that same over-reach? It's not even about whether you think abortion is acceptable or ethical or legal or whatever, this is selectively defining the same words differently just for the sheer cravenness of it.

I'm not even trying to juxtapose the morality or ethics of either stance or contrast them; the government reaching in and telling you "you must provide insurance/health care for this condition" has been demonized as a prime example of government overreach and they have used exactly that as an excuse against laws protecting that coverage and as an excuse to cut funding for anyone providing such care. But now this isn't a prime and identical example of that same over-reach? It's not even about whether you think abortion is acceptable or ethical or legal or whatever, this is selectively defining the same words differently just for the sheer cravenness of it.

In both areas it is having government get involved, but the situations are different. What conservatives are say by taking this stance is that in some situations it ok to have government control in one situation but not in the other. They have their reasons why. I disagree with them, but I don’t think it’s hypocritical to have the stance that they do.

Edit: hypocritical would be to be pro life but force your mistress to get an abortion.

Last edited:
Wife and I just got exposure notifications on our phones today. Been nearly two weeks since the exposure, according to the app, and neither of us have symptoms, but I guess we should get tested.

Wife and I just got exposure notifications on our phones today. Been nearly two weeks since the exposure, according to the app, and neither of us have symptoms, but I guess we should get tested.
Last I heard, if you're vaxxed and don't have any symptoms after 5 days, you're alright. Doesn't hurt to make sure though.

My 2 cents are that either you're uninfected or you both have asymptomatic infections coming to their end. I wouldn't worry about it unless there's people in your entourage you want to protect that are unvaccinated. But honestly, it's probably too late in that case.

My money would be on you being uninfected (from that particular contact).

View attachment 114950

This is why my father says you can't place your trust in the vaccine.

Regulatory capture is a real problem in many industries (including biotech, but also in finance and other fields), but it's also kind of hard to avoid in the current system. How do you get people with enough knowledge and experience in a field to be able to effectively regulate it without them either coming from or returning to it?

View attachment 114950

This is why my father says you can't place your trust in the vaccine.

CEO board members do not make regulatory approvals - there is no conflict of interest. If they had gone the other way (pharmaceutical to FDA), then they would have to recuse themselves if they were actually part of a decision making body. But those cited FDA positions about "regulating" specific companies seem misleading and simplistic. What were their actual roles in the FDA? Regulatory approvals or something more managerial?

There is no conflict of interest going from a news organization to a private company either. Again, if it had happened the other way, then disclosure and possible recusing depending on the story being reported (but he's not a journalist nor an editor).

The bus driver came to pick my kids up and she said that we were basically the only family that she picked up today. She said that people are protesting vaccine mandates and keeping their kids home from school. She told us that she hit 7 houses before us and none of them are sending their kids to school.

I had to look this up, because I had no idea--ah, what you miss when you don't engage in FB. And I found this article:

On Monday, Oct. 18, parents and teachers in California who oppose a vaccine mandate for students and teachers are planning a sit-out.

Throughout the week, posters have been circulating on social media notifying the public of the Statewide sit-out. Those who support the movement are asked not to call their child out as sick, but to state, they oppose the vaccine mandate.

So yeah, how's your Monday?

The bus driver came to pick my kids up and she said that we were basically the only family that she picked up today. She said that people are protesting vaccine mandates and keeping their kids home from school. She told us that she hit 7 houses before us and none of them are sending their kids to school.

I had to look this up, because I had no idea--ah, what you miss when you don't engage in FB. And I found this article:

On Monday, Oct. 18, parents and teachers in California who oppose a vaccine mandate for students and teachers are planning a sit-out.

Throughout the week, posters have been circulating on social media notifying the public of the Statewide sit-out. Those who support the movement are asked not to call their child out as sick, but to state, they oppose the vaccine mandate.

Meanwhile, my wife texted me this morning and said that her hospital is close to maxed out on Covid patients and they are using other floors and areas that are normally for other patients. Pretty much like what they went through in 2020. Lots of people on ventilators, and none of the people on the vents are vaccinated.

This country is SO broken.

Teachers protesting is one thing, but keeping kids out is just a nice break for the teachers who do show up.

Back