Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I think I’ve mentioned my Q believing coworker before. Well, he/she (keeping them gender neutral) was out sick for a week, meaning those of us who are vaccinated had to cover. This person’s spouse was also home sick and wound up getting the polyclonal antibody, meaning, of course, that my coworker is also very likely Covid positive. However, for whatever reason, the geniuses at employee health let my coworker come back to work! They were back for 2 days, then out sick again.

I’m so tired of this bullshit. We’ve been inundated with sick calls, leaving the responsible ones who are vaccinated to bear the brunt of their selfishness. Thankfully my employer will be mandating vaccines soon, which will cause some people to leave. However, it is apparent with my coworker that they want a fight, and will force them to terminate employment to my coworker can sue.

I know some people may not agree (for good reason), but I got my booster today. However, I am an inpatient hospital pharmacist who works primarily on patient care areas, and I also have asthma.
I'm not upset with individuals that choose to get a booster that is offered to them due to risk factors--my dad is a heart transplant patient, so I'm very much for him getting a booster. I just think it's immoral that our government has upheld vaccine patents instead of opening up the vaccine to the world. I'm upset that our government is more interested in corporate profits than people's lives, because new variants are emerging from these places where there is a lot of disease and virtually no vaccine. We will not quell the constant onslaught of variants (which is why we require boosters in the first place) until we get everyone vaccinated, including those poorer countries.
It still just boggles my mind how this is all playing out, I always knew our society was being perceived at a higher standard than it actually is, but damn, we have some really ignorant folks in this country. The same people who carry around cell phones, smoke like chimney's and shove a variety of things in their pie hole without blinking at what might be in it are choosing this hill, this is the hill they're choosing to literally die on.

It's hard to stay positive now a days.
I've been reading into the history of the Spanish Flu and there were deniers and nuts during that time too. What we have is a failure of trust. People do not trust what their government officials are telling them, because we've caught them lying about too many things. And while there are some people that can synthesize the information--people who know how to read medical journals and understand that the internet is full of misleading information--other people are not as savvy and they can potentially start believing a lot of weird things, but it's largely because when you don't know what's happening, and you don't know who to trust, you could stumble into some really strange conclusions.

The truth is that if you are young--under 30, you are much less likely to be vaccinated. When this cohort was asked about vaccination, some didn't know it was free and others were overly concerned about vaccine side effects--in particular, they didn't want to have to miss work because they got sick from the vaccine. They aren't really sure if it's worth dealing with the medical system and a possible surprise bill especially if they believe that the side effects from the vaccine will be worse than getting covid. These people usually don't have health insurance and don't have a job that offers paid time off. This is a direct consequence of us having a medical system that doesn't cover everyone. About one third of all non-vaxers, are the deniers, but a good two thirds of people aren't getting it because our medical system is full of holes and our safety net programs are paltry at best.

What I hate to see is people disparaging others in such a way that we start grouping people. When we start designating certain people as "deplorable" for instance, it makes violence against them seem justified.

Sighs, the trend in GOP controlled states seems to be laxing covid protections. They are in a hurry to get things back to normal for the sake of the economy.

Florida is allowing parents to send students to school who tested positive for covid 19 who are asymptomatic, even though the science shows they can still transmit it.

Why does the battle for getting back to normal have to put kids on the front lines.
Yep, this is so stupid.
Leave it to my state.... :rolleyes:

I mean he was asking for it. There the justice is, hanging out on a leather chesterfield sofa, sipping on a Shirley Temple, and those charming lacrosse playing COVID boys show up. He thinks nothing of it and when one of them invites him out back for a cigarette the COVID bro just jumped right in his air-holes... justice Kavanaugh really shouldn't have put himself in that situation, and if he was wearing proper vaccine and mask clothing he wouldn't have been encouraging the COVID bros. eh - but you get what you get.

I mean he was asking for it. There the justice is, hanging out on a leather chesterfield sofa, sipping on a Shirley Temple, and those charming lacrosse playing COVID boys show up. He thinks nothing of it and when one of them invites him out back for a cigarette the COVID bro just jumped right in his air-holes... justice Kavanaugh really shouldn't have put himself in that situation, and if he was wearing proper vaccine and mask clothing he wouldn't have been encouraging the COVID bros. eh - but you get what you get.
But no one else at the Met Ball was wearing a mask either....

I would have thought that once you reached a certain blood alcohol content, your blood would basically disinfect your insides for you...
sefq6n1ftuq71.jpg

The sole reliance on vaccination as a primary strategy to mitigate COVID-19 and its adverse consequences needs to be re-examined, especially considering the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant and the likelihood of future variants. Other pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions may need to be put in place alongside increasing vaccination rates. Such course correction, especially with regards to the policy narrative, becomes paramount with emerging scientific evidence on real world effectiveness of the vaccines.

For instance, in a report released from the Ministry of Health in Israel, the effectiveness of 2 doses of the BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) vaccine against preventing COVID-19 infection was reported to be 39% [6], substantially lower than the trial efficacy of 96% [7]. It is also emerging that immunity derived from the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine may not be as strong as immunity acquired through recovery from the COVID-19 virus [8]. A substantial decline in immunity from mRNA vaccines 6-months post immunization has also been reported [9]. Even though vaccinations offers protection to individuals against severe hospitalization and death, the CDC reported an increase from 0.01 to 9% and 0 to 15.1% (between January to May 2021) in the rates of hospitalizations and deaths, respectively, amongst the fully vaccinated [10].

In summary, even as efforts should be made to encourage populations to get vaccinated it should be done so with humility and respect. Stigmatizing populations can do more harm than good. Importantly, other non-pharmacological prevention efforts (e.g., the importance of basic public health hygiene with regards to maintaining safe distance or handwashing, promoting better frequent and cheaper forms of testing) needs to be renewed in order to strike the balance of learning to live with COVID-19 in the same manner we continue to live a 100 years later with various seasonal alterations of the 1918 Influenza virus.

Nice little paper talks about how focusing on vaccination as the sole, or leading, preventative measure against Covid-19 is ineffective. We still need to continue to mask and social distance as well as getting vaccinated, and considering the efficacy of these vaccines on viral load (they aren't all that effective in reducing viral load of Covid, just severe symptoms of Covid), this becomes evident. There is no true panacea. We must continue with tried and true public health interventions.

I was trying to google this with no luck and thought I'd ask the educated hive mind here:

At what point does Biden's vaccination mandate for employers come into effect? My workplace has more than 100 employees, but I've heard zip from management.

I was trying to google this with no luck and thought I'd ask the educated hive mind here:

At what point does Biden's vaccination mandate for employers come into effect? My workplace has more than 100 employees, but I've heard zip from management.

Everything goes into effect November 22, 2021 for federal employees and federal contractors--as in people must be fully vaccinated by this date. I work for a health care company and though I see no patients, I am considered "customer facing" because I generate data for large employers. My work required us to be vaccinated by October 1.

I would probably aim for November 22 which is when they are saying the federal mandate will be put in place.

Killed his brother for administering Covid-19 vaccines.

What has the world come too.
Jesus, community pharmacists have enough to worry about, now they’ve got this too? Yet another reason I will only work hospital.

Articles like this suck because it’s really only about demonizing the other side rather then examining their position. It’s obvious that it’s not hypocritical for the governor to have this stance. He thinks that medical rights are more important than the rights of an employer.

Articles like this suck because it’s really only about demonizing the other side rather then examining their position. It’s obvious that it’s not hypocritical for the governor to have this stance. He thinks that medical rights are more important than the rights of an employer.

To put it another way, he thinks the rights of the individual outweigh the rights of the collective, except for the individual rights of women, which I would argue is hypocritical to the extreme but wasn't brought up in that article.

The traditional republican stance is that this is still a huge over-reach. I mean, that's been a republican mainstay argument since like, before Roe V Wade and one of the stated reasons for defunding Planned Parenthood -- "no tax dollars for abortions!" etc. There are a lot of choice words for Abbott and hypocrite is absolutely one of the many fitting ones, I think.

Back