Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Yes, from the perspective here the travel ban is a right measure , though it is a little strange to single out the eu versus other countries. Reeks of him trying to pin it on foreign forces without stepping measures up in the us appropriatly. European countries should think about the same ban for flights from the us because less travel is generally helpful in these times and i guess we are far from the peak in the us.
Edit: reading more about trumps speech the thing seems more about controlling the narrative than the spread of the virus because travel bans seem to be his only measure and he wants to cast the impression that the rise in us cases is due to imported cases and not due to his administrations failures. (like being weeks behind on tests)

Is it? The media here is painting it as an absolute joke stating that travel bans have, at best, a very minor slowing effect and are supported by minimal scientific evidence. That and the fact that the US now has one of the most rapidly escalating internal rates of infection due to the catastrophic handling of the situation to date. It's blatant trump "blame the foreigners" misdirection.

Is it? The media here is painting it as an absolute joke stating that travel bans have, at best, a very minor slowing effect and are supported by minimal scientific evidence. That and the fact that the US now has one of the most rapidly escalating internal rates of infection due to the catastrophic handling of the situation to date. It's blatant trump "blame the foreigners" misdirection.
I agree on you second part, i simply don´t know about the first one. i think in the moment we are experimenting with a lot of restrictions and measures where there is little scientific evidence what works and what works not so well.

I agree on you second part, i simply don´t know about the first one. i think in the moment we are experimenting with a lot of restrictions and measures where there is little scientific evidence what works and what works not so well.

There was a study on the effectiveness of Chinese travel restrictions in Science magazine and it was found that at most it delayed the spread by 3 to 5 days and given the rapid spreading now occurring in America it’s at most a drop in the ocean. It could be argued that they are now in a worse state than any European country that isn’t Italy. It’s a changing of the narrative rather than an effective protocol. I don’t think this is quite as unknown a quantity as you are painting it to be, protocols were put in place after SARS, it just didn’t effect the west so we, and in particular America, ignored it and haven’t prepared or reacted correctly.

at the hospital my wife works there's a mandatory quarantine of 2 weeks for anyone who has been in possible contact, whether in the States or elsewhere. there are people who have been to infected countries where she works before it officially tested positive in NY. these people had mandatory quarantines which came from the hospital administration and CDC, not Trump. each of these people who could have come in contact created at least a two week reduction in staff and that's if they turned out to not be positive... obviously the consequences would be much greater if they test positive. this isn't blame foreigners, it's take extreme precaution to keep sick people from getting more sick and/or dying and not diminishing hospital staff and available beds.

at the hospital my wife works there's a mandatory quarantine of 2 weeks for anyone who has been in possible contact, whether in the States or elsewhere. there are people who have been to infected countries where she works before it officially tested positive in NY. these people had mandatory quarantines which came from the hospital administration and CDC, not Trump. each of these people who could have come in contact created at least a two week reduction in staff and that's if they turned out to not be positive... obviously the consequences would be much greater if they test positive. this isn't blame foreigners, it's take extreme precaution to keep sick people from getting more sick and/or dying and not diminishing hospital staff and available beds.
People's point is that since it is already here, a travel ban isn't sufficient. More direction on what we need to do to flatten the curve needs to come from the top at least, and it should have been sooner.

The media here are trying to stop people panicking. In a couple of weeks everyone in the UK will be panicking and we'll have our own travel restrictions.

But we do know what to do. We've had the blueprint for a long time following SARS, it's just the West didn't take notice.
Not only do we have plenty of infectious disease and pandemic experts' in our country, but Trump fired everyone on the executive pandemic response team two years ago to cut costs.

Edit: That's not to say he couldn't have been getting, and following, experts advice for the last several months, it just doesn't seem to be the case.

That’s sensible and is worldwide practice. If you’ve been in a hotspot (Italy/S. Korea/China/Iran) or in direct contact with a person who has had the disease. Indiscriminate travel bans to countries that are mostly in a better state than your own is ineffective xenophobia.

I think it has already been said in here, but South Korea is testing 10,000 people per day and we are testing hundreds. I think that is a great summation of the inadequacy of our response. The delay in testing is completely unacceptable and there is no excuse. Until sufficient testing is in place we are blind.

It's not about stopping foreigners, it's about social distancing. Trump didn't go far enough. All but essential flying should be banned.
case in point. with jackasses like this we're all doomed:

A passenger on a JetBlue flight from JFK Airport has tested positive for the coronavirus after landing in Palm Beach, Florida, according to reports.

Flight 253, with 114 passengers and crew aboard, landed at Palm Beach International Airport shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday but remained on the tarmac for about three hours, according to WPTV.

One of the passengers told the station that a man near him was taken to the back of the aircraft.

“He was wearing masks and gloves. His wife was sitting in the same row as me and mentioned to others that he wasn’t feeling well,” Scott Rodman said.

She said he had gotten a phone call with his test results right before we had taken off, implying that he had a positive test but not actually saying it,” he added.

It's not about stopping foreigners, it's about social distancing. Trump didn't go far enough. All but essential flying should be banned.

as i said before i don´t find the travel ban problematic per se. The problem is that beside economic stimuli it was the only measure he announced.
Edit: But again, his wording in the speech clearly suggests that now that the borers are closed to certain countries the US is safe. This could turn ot to be extremly dangerous

as i said before i don´t find the travel ban problematic per se. The problem is that beside economic stimuli it was the only measure he announced.

It’s the rationale of it being to insulate America from a “foreign illness” and the evidence from China being that it’s impact will be minimal that I find objectionable. I think we have to avoid foolish hyperbole and focus on exercising good hygiene and common sense in limiting social interaction. Governments have to act sensibly, to test, provide extra resources to healthcare and to assist people in working from home. Acting rationally and sensibly is how we get through things like this.

This really seems like it could be the perfect storm of this administration's inadequacy coupled with the distrust in science and experts that said party has been fomenting for decades.

I was surprised that my Dad didn't totally scoff at it when I brought up that he should be careful, so maybe there is hope that people who traditionally say science is a hoax will actually listen.

Edit: but they will be more likely to listen if it comes from the top.

It’s the rationale of it being to insulate America from a “foreign illness” and the evidence from China being that it’s impact will be minimal that I find objectionable. I think we have to avoid foolish hyperbole and focus on exercising good hygiene and common sense in limiting social interaction. Governments have to act sensibly, to test, provide extra resources to healthcare and to assist people in working from home. Acting rationally and sensibly is how we get through things like this.

i`ve seen interesting debates about wether it would be good to close all schools and childcare facilities. Everybody agrees that it will slow down the virus, but with many parents not able to be working from home, childcare would often shift to retired parents and grandparents bringing the most vulnerable more into harms way.

i`ve seen interesting debates about wether it would be good to close all schools and childcare facilities. Everybody agrees that it will slow down the virus, but with many parents not able to be working from home, childcare would often shift to retired parents and grandparents bringing the most vulnerable more into harms way.

It’s just been announced here that we’re closing all schools, childcare facilities and third level institutions. The parents that I work with are lucky in that being govt employees there is an entitlement to special leave with pay because it’s a pandemic. It’s going to be chaos for private sector workers!

It’s just been announced here that we’re closing all schools, childcare facilities and third level institutions. The parents that I work with are lucky in that being govt employees there is an entitlement to special leave with pay because it’s a pandemic. It’s going to be chaos for private sector workers!

The school district i work for closed down all large public gatherings and trips. It's expected that they will close all schools next week. That is 600K children that need to be supervised during the day.

Back