Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Chiming in with an update on my reaction to the Moderna 2nd shot.

Started getting a headachy hangover feeling at 8hrs post shot. Lasted about 5 or 6 hours but near 11pm I started feeling hyperactive? Like really hungry and lots of nervous energy but still with a low-grade headache. Almost like being on an oral steroid. Went to sleep fine and woke up with a lingering feeling like a hangover. All in all, not really the horrible reaction I was nervous about. Didn't get any chills or body aches. I'm counting myself as lucky.

There is a new record for the number of coronavirus infections traced back to a single commercial airline flight. A whopping 47 passengers who flew on Vistara flight 6395 from New Delhi to Hong Kong on April 4 have since tested positive for Covid-19. That number represents 25% of the 188 passengers on board.

All of the passengers on the Vistara flight had tested negative for the virus within 72 hours prior to departure, in keeping with Hong Kong’s travel requirements. Yet 25 travelers tested positive immediately after landing in Hong Kong, and a further 22 cases were discovered on day 12.

As to sum up why this will never happen in the United States? The reason is both shocking and not surprising. The United States lacks the contact tracing capabilities needed to trace exposure back to a particular flight. In fact, contact tracing in the United States is also completely voluntary.

As to sum up why this will never happen in the United States? The reason is both shocking and not surprising. The United States lacks the contact tracing capabilities needed to trace exposure back to a particular flight. In fact, contact tracing in the United States is also completely voluntary.
The problem is that contact tracing is voluntary here. In places with the best contact tracing, it's mandatory. Our system works okayish when we are talking about STI/STD contact tracing because of the relative time between infection. With something that moves this fast and can be caught in the air, either everyone needs to participate in contact tracing or we are wasting our time and money. I think a voluntary system could work, but in a society that trusts its government and private institutions that would be collecting and retaining data. They would have assurances that their data would be collected without exploiting it to try to sell us something or to run through credit algorithms to create scores for us to be societally "graded" on.

I have two close friends that have Covid, I heard from both of them today which is jarring and quite a coincidence I guess, since one didn’t get it from the other, they hadn’t seen each other in months. Neither of them had been vaccinated, and both are males in their 50s. One is very overweight and doesn’t take care of himself, the other was scheduled for major surgery tomorrow that has to be rescheduled. I am so concerned for both, tough roads ahead for them I fear.

Michigan’s numbers are still really bad so I shouldn’t be surprised, but man, the number of people I know who have had it is now well into the double digits.

I’m glad I’m vaccinated and I’m still being careful, but damn I’m worn out on this.

I just found out today that Montana is trying to make it illegal for businesses, including hospitals, to require their employees to have ANY vaccines. The bill failed in the state senate twice, but on its third time passed through. It’s now sitting on Greg Gianforte’s desk for him to sign into law. Unfuckingbelievable.

This is analysis for Walmart workers in WI. Walmart is the largest employer of Americans. Imagine what this looks like if you did the analysis for all 50 states. Workers rights are something that everyone should be concerned with because it affects us all.

More than 7,500 Covid-19 infections and 133 deaths could have been prevented if Walmart offered employees two weeks of paid sick leave, according to a report released on Wednesday.

The public health not-for-profit Human Impact Partners calculated the impact that better paid sick leave could have had for employees of Walmart, the largest employer in the US, using findings from the University of Wisconsin that universal sick leave could lead to a nearly 6% reduction in coronavirus infections and deaths for workers in Wisconsin.

This guy's videos tend to be more about (as far as I can tell -- I've only seen 4 or 5) film analysis (or film narrative analysis), but this particular video struck a chord which I think you can appreciate why I am posting it in this particular thread.

"A dimension of narrative that I like to bring up pretty regularly is the idea that one purpose of fiction is that it allows a place to practice intense emotions and states without exposing of to the complextiesi or harms of those states in reality. This is typically in the context of the fanciful: reckless stunts, wild sex gunfights or general risky behavior. [...]

Watching a disaster film in a disaster is an example of this, particularly one that is as sociologically driven as 'Contagion' is an extension of this.

Rather than practicing intense emotional states before they happen, this instinct to expose ourselves to what we're already experiencing, amplifying existing emotional states, it works as a form of emotional innoculation. I am scared and anxious and uncertain and so I will make myself more scared and more anxious and more uncertain because it's still fiction it's still safe it has an end it's still bounded."

It continues and there is further discussion on themes and burn out (and even now, so soon, the video is slightly dated, mentioning the sitting US president recommending Hydrochloroquinine etc) but I think the greater points are still germane and it's still worth watching.

In Alberta, people 30 and up can book vaccination appointments starting tomorrow. Finally. We're the worst in continent right now and they refuse to enforce restrictions.
I have a friend out there (I lived in Fort McMurray as a child) who works in Health care, I can't believe the nonsense I've been hearing out of your Province. It sounds like you need some political shakeups.

~ Says the guy living in Georgia =(

In rural counties of Oregon, 50% of the population has vaccine hesitancy.

They have plenty of shots available, but the compare that to getting all dressed up with nowhere to go. People are not coming in for those shots.

Back