Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Leave it to the Germans to say what all of us are thinking.

From coronamüde (tired of Covid-19) to Coronafrisur (corona hairstyle), a German project is documenting the huge number of new words coined in the last year as the language races to keep up with lives radically changed by the pandemic.

It includes feelings many can relate to, such as overzoomed (stressed by too many video calls), Coronaangst (when you have anxiety about the virus) and Impfneid (envy of those who have been vaccinated).

Other new words reveal the often strange reality of life under restrictions: Kuschelkontakt (cuddle contact) for the specific person you meet for cuddles and Abstandsbier (distance beer) for when you drink with friends at a safe distance.

Covidiot, a term used in the UK, also appears in the German list. More specific is Maskentrottel (mask idiot), for someone who wears their face covering under their nose.

But the words also tell a story of connection and community. For example, Einkaufshelfer can be used to describe someone who helps others with their shopping.

Möhrs says CoronaFußgruß (corona foot greeting) is her personal favourite because it rhymes and because it shows a human desire for connection, despite our enforced physical distance.

I was telling my wife about this yesterday and she got a kick out of it because her dad's german originally.

So today she sends me a partial photo of one of her patient files and I can clearly see "Maskentrottel" written on it. :ROFLMAO:

So, Florida's shitshow continues apace, right, no surprise there, and Governor Deathsantis has made it the law of the land that only 65+ and medical personnel or first responders get the vaccine until further notice. My (and Mrs') initial appointment at the one hospital that was giving vaccines for medically vulnerable people was initially set for Feb 20, but then cancelled on Jan 15th due to lack of actual doses for 2nd doses. In between then-and-now, state policy was changed to only-65+-and-medical-etc. Official policy is "everyone else, just sign up with your county's method of dealing with this (which varies from "check with a supermarket chain that donated to DeSantis" to "your county has no plan" to "your county has a website that is mostly not working" -- Miami-Dade is in the "mostly not working" category, but hey, we've got a site and some vague plan so I guess we're doing okish comparitively).

Anyway.

So I signed us up on the site, figuring they'd call us like, on the 3rd of Never but no! Lo and behold, we get an email last Monday: click here and sign up for your appointment. Fuckin' awesome, we do the clicky, we fill out web forms, there's a confirmation text and a follow-up email with a calendar appointment. Smooth, perhaps a bit back and forth but whatever. It works. Appointment was set for today, Feb 28, 930am, we drive up to the baseball stadium and you can feel the palpable despair and fear. One giant car-lane gets split into "testing" and "vaccine" lanes. Finally, I drive up to the national guardsman who promptly looks at us both and goes "uh....is she 65?" (because apparently with my salt and pepper beard, I look haggard and old and am the very spirit of Methuselah, but she's a spring chicken.) And so I confirm no, we're not 65, I'm not trying to lie my way into a vaccine, you guys called us and said come on down and so here we are, where is my shot young man and he basically does the world's fastest rendition of Can't Do Nuttin' For You Man and we are sent on our merry way.

So that was my Sunday morning, how was your weekend?

Got my first this morning. So far, no side effects and I’m hoping for minimal ones tonight/tomorrow.

Also got word that my wife is not eligible. Hoping to have a vaccinated home for the tiny baby.

I went on my work website to register for a vaccine appointment. Hoping to get it sometime soon. Only appointment is for today at 4PM!!! Not ready for that yet.

Got my first this morning. So far, no side effects and I’m hoping for minimal ones tonight/tomorrow.

Also got word that my wife is not eligible. Hoping to have a vaccinated home for the tiny baby.
I didn’t have any side effects really. Sore arm, but it went away quicker than I thought. Maybe I felt a little out of it at a point the next day, but that could also just be my nervous anxiety… today I woke up feeling great (I got my first dose Saturday morning).

The good news is that vaccine hesitancy has dropped remarkably to the point that we could achieve herd immunity. However, anti-vaccine holdouts are largely white and Republican.

By the numbers: 41% of Republicans say they don't plan to get a vaccine if it's available to them. Only 33% say they do plan to get vaccinated.

• 70% of Democrats and a plurality of independents (47%) say they plan to get vaccinated.
  • White Americans are now less likely than Black and Latino Americans to say they plan to get the vaccine.

I haven't seen recent projections as to when I'll be able to get vaccinated here in Michigan, (the last estimate I saw was August) but my NYT morning email said Arizona is now vaccinating those 18 and over. That's a huge difference between these two states, as I personally know people over 65 that still can't find a way to get one around here.

The good news is that vaccine hesitancy has dropped remarkably to the point that we could achieve herd immunity. However, anti-vaccine holdouts are largely white and Republican.

By the numbers: 41% of Republicans say they don't plan to get a vaccine if it's available to them. Only 33% say they do plan to get vaccinated.

• 70% of Democrats and a plurality of independents (47%) say they plan to get vaccinated.
  • White Americans are now less likely than Black and Latino Americans to say they plan to get the vaccine.

So basically a cross-section of the privileged and misinformed...

TL/DR or watch in this case.

Trump and his wife got the COVID-19 vaccination in secrecy back in January only being confirmed now. Experts said he should been public about it to reduce public hesitation and get his base more supported of getting the vaccine.

So our state is opening up vaccinations to over half the population on Monday. Seems that the government is too afraid to make difficult decisions, so lots of new groups will be eligible. My wife and I will both be eligible and will try to get appointments.

Not sure how I feel about the fact that kind of puts the guilt on me if I decide to continually try to get an appointment if some lung transplant patient who hasn't been trained by F5ing vinyl drops gets passed over. That isn't the way it should be.

Last edited:
Back