Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Harvard University gave Massachusetts a grade of F for the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine and lists Massachusetts amongst the worst of all 50 states.

We missed our vaccination goal numbers.
We were not able to convert all available doses into vaccinations. We have a surplus of vaccinations not getting to people fast enough.

This has me feeling optimistic, or at least less frazzled than I have been in quite awhile.

Over the past week, there has been an average of 104,559 cases per day, a decrease of 36 percent from the average two weeks earlier.

I realize we have a ways to go, the Super Bowl parties and events may give us another spike that we'd likely see by next weekend...but still, this was encouraging to read.

And I keep hearing/reading conflicting information on the vaccine availability. The medical facility I go to sent an email that had this info:

No additional first-dose vaccine appointments will be opened this week at Michigan Medicine.

With limited supply in Michigan and many other states, we are only receiving enough vaccine this week to provide second doses to individuals who already received their first dose through Michigan Medicine.
While we have the ability to vaccinate up to 12,000 people per week – with room to quickly expand that to 24,000 per week – we simply do not currently have vaccine supply to put our powerful infrastructure to work for you.

I'm hoping availability to me won't be as far off as August , which is where the current projections have me being able to get it.

Gonna channel my inner @nolalady and drop a link that is at least promising and should give some hope: SARS-CoV-2 infection is effectively treated and prevented by EIDD-2801
Interesting. It's just a mice study, but it looks promising.

JAMA just published a great meta analysis on mask wearing efficacy. Turns out, masks work well.

1613136744900.png

Interesting. It's just a mice study, but it looks promising.

JAMA just published a great meta analysis on mask wearing efficacy. Turns out, masks work well.
Merck is supposed to start human trials in March or April, according to some dude on reddit whose post I am not going to find again to post but will totally take on faith. Someone asked why the delay and some wag suggested it's because they don't want Oklahoma to buy 2 million dollar's worth on the first day it gets published.

My wife got her first dose last Saturday along with the rest of the staff at her school. Pfizer. Only had a sore arm. She's expecting to be down and out after the 2nd dose.

Dr. Fauci said that he expect April to be open season for any who want it. If I can get both doses before summertime, I will be so happy.

We're approaching 3 months since my parents had covid and I'm trying to plant it in their heads that their immunity could be decreasing so they need to start being careful until they can get vaccinated. Ever since they were cleared, they've been going out, seeing friends - basically back to normal but with masks. They're currently staying with my grandparents (who both had it last month but are recovered) for a week. My dad's been traveling all over the southeast since his company got bought out last month. Can't even imagine how many contacts he's had.

My wife got her first dose last Saturday along with the rest of the staff at her school. Pfizer. Only had a sore arm. She's expecting to be down and out after the 2nd dose.

Dr. Fauci said that he expect April to be open season for any who want it. If I can get both doses before summertime, I will be so happy.

We're approaching 3 months since my parents had covid and I'm trying to plant it in their heads that their immunity could be decreasing so they need to start being careful until they can get vaccinated. Ever since they were cleared, they've been going out, seeing friends - basically back to normal but with masks. They're currently staying with my grandparents (who both had it last month but are recovered) for a week. My dad's been traveling all over the southeast since his company got bought out last month. Can't even imagine how many contacts he's had.
No school staff has been vaccinated in CA. It’s supposed to start this month, but...

No school staff has been vaccinated in CA. It’s supposed to start this month, but...

California has done a better job with administering than Ohio by measurement of distributed vaccines that have been administered (source), but maybe it's purely a population size issue (CA has administered double the vaccines that OH was even distributed so far).

Prior to getting vaccinated, consider taking some vitamins. It should help make the vaccine more effective--particularly C, D, E and Zinc.

As the European Food Safety Authority notes, the vitamins A, B6, B9, B12, C and D and the minerals zinc, selenium, iron and copper are all needed for the immune system to function as it should.

Each of these micronutrients – as well as vitamin E – has been shown to play multiple roles in supporting immune function and reducing the risk of infection. Research has found a link between having an impaired immune system and having low amounts of many vitamins and minerals.

When the immune system isn’t properly fuelled and is impaired, this can then lead to poor vaccine responses. For example, a review of nine studies – together involving 2,367 people – found that individuals deficient in vitamin D were less well protected against two strains of flu after having been vaccinated compared to those who had adequate vitamin D levels.

By contrast, randomised controlled trials of micronutrient supplements (such as vitamin B6, vitamin E, zinc and selenium) in older people have been shown to increase the ability of the immune system to respond to challenges. Furthermore, it appears that to work at its best the immune system needs vitamins C, D and E together with zinc and selenium in excess of amounts that can usually be achieved through diet alone. For example, selenium levels above those typically regarded as optimal have been associated with a better cure rate for COVID-19.

More on vaccine equity. Just like richer countries getting the vaccine first, the richest people in the rich countries are getting the vaccine faster than poor people. This also has significant impact on racial disparities in vaccine distribution.

The findings back up, with hard data, anecdotal reports from around the country that wealthy people have been able to gain access to vaccines ahead of low-income people. “We’re seeing individuals who have privilege and access who are edging out the people who don’t,” said Tekisha Dwan Everette, executive director of Health Equity Solutions in Connecticut and a member of the governor’s Covid-19 advisory task force in that state.

My doctors office is in a Strip Mall in Salem and I was there for a follow up appointment this morning.

I noticed today the the Sakura Sushi place and a pizza / sub shop are gone.

They removed the Sakura sigh from the front of the building, but it's still clearly visible because the paint of the building front is so much lighter where the letters once were. The windows are boarded up.

In other news, the first case of the South African variant of the Coronavirus was detected in Massachusetts today. It is believed to be spreading through community spread as the person who came down with it has not traveled.

Here's more on anaphylaxis cases after vaccine doses. So for every one million people who got the Pfizer vaccine, about 5 people had an allergic reaction; Moderna's rate is half of that, with about 3 people in one million who get an allergic reaction after the vaccine. It seems that the vaccines, at least right now, appear safe; and they are FAR safer than taking your chances with Coronavirus.

During December 14, 2020 through January 18, 2021, a total of 9 943 247 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and 7 581 429 doses of the Moderna vaccine were reported administered in the US (CDC unpublished data, February 2021). CDC identified 66 case reports received by VAERS that met Brighton Collaboration case definition criteria for anaphylaxis (levels 1, 2 or 3): 47 following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, for a reporting rate of 4.7 cases/million doses administered, and 19 following Moderna vaccine, for a reporting rate of 2.5 cases/million doses administered. Cases occurred after receipt of doses from multiple vaccine lots.

1613677031225.png

A lot of unknown here, but the decline in COVID cases in recent weeks my correlate with the closing of testing sites due to winter weather.

Back