Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I'm not sure if this keeps happening because of lack of child care, parents just don't care or thing the virus is no worse than the common cold, suck it up and go to school.
I will tell you now, it has a lot to do with lack of child care and businesses, especially businesses that hire low wage workers and are not being flexible with schedules. We have always had a child care crisis in this country because we have never adequately invested in early childhood education as a country and because wages have been stagnant for 40 years but child care prices have gone way up. It is absolutely wrong to hold these parents totally accountable without also holding their landlords and employers accountable too. What's worse, sending your kid to school so you can work or losing your job and apartment in the middle of a pandemic? There is no good solution because we have decided to let people die instead of giving them proper social support.

I will tell you now, it has a lot to do with lack of child care and businesses, especially businesses that hire low wage workers and are not being flexible with schedules. We have always had a child care crisis in this country because we have never adequately invested in early childhood education as a country and because wages have been stagnant for 40 years but child care prices have gone way up. It is absolutely wrong to hold these parents totally accountable without also holding their landlords and employers accountable too. What's worse, sending your kid to school so you can work or losing your job and apartment in the middle of a pandemic? There is no good solution because we have decided to let people die instead of giving them proper social support.

The bad thing is those employers and landlords will not be held accountable. That is not how our system works. The parents will be. And they are considering charges for the parents in the 2 cases I'm aware of in Massachusetts.

The bad thing is those employers and landlords will not be held accountable. That is not how our system works. The parents will be. And they are considering charges for the parents in the 2 cases I'm aware of in Massachusetts.
Because why change the system when we can just punish the poor with monetary fines?

Iowa regulators have issued their first citation to a meatpacking plant with a large coronavirus outbreak that sickened its workforce — a $957 fine for a minor record-keeping violation.

The outbreak at the Iowa Premium Beef Plant in Tama in April resulted in 338 of the plant's 850 workers testing positive for the virus, 80 more than the state previously acknowledged, according to inspection records released Thursday.

The beef plant suspended production for two weeks in April after scores of workers became ill. A two-day mass testing conducted by the Iowa Department of Public Health found that 338 workers were infected by then, the records show.

The health department’s deputy director, Sarah Reisetter, nonetheless announced at a news conference May 5 that only 258 workers had tested positive. The department has blamed record-keeping problems for erroneously announcing artificially low numbers of positive tests at another meatpacking plant the same day.

Facing criticism for its response, Iowa OSHA decided to inspect the Tama plant May 21 based on news reports of the 6-week-old outbreak.

Inspectors found that four workers were still hospitalized with COVID-19 and saw some employees working close to one another on the floor with no barriers between them.

Inspectors noted that employees were wearing surgical-style masks that were issued by the company and required when the plant reopened April 20. The company had allowed workers to begin wearing their own face coverings April 2, four days before the plant shut down, records show.

What can I say that hasn't been said?

Iowa regulators have issued their first citation to a meatpacking plant with a large coronavirus outbreak that sickened its workforce — a $957 fine for a minor record-keeping violation.

The outbreak at the Iowa Premium Beef Plant in Tama in April resulted in 338 of the plant's 850 workers testing positive for the virus, 80 more than the state previously acknowledged, according to inspection records released Thursday.

The beef plant suspended production for two weeks in April after scores of workers became ill. A two-day mass testing conducted by the Iowa Department of Public Health found that 338 workers were infected by then, the records show.

The health department’s deputy director, Sarah Reisetter, nonetheless announced at a news conference May 5 that only 258 workers had tested positive. The department has blamed record-keeping problems for erroneously announcing artificially low numbers of positive tests at another meatpacking plant the same day.

Facing criticism for its response, Iowa OSHA decided to inspect the Tama plant May 21 based on news reports of the 6-week-old outbreak.

Inspectors found that four workers were still hospitalized with COVID-19 and saw some employees working close to one another on the floor with no barriers between them.

Inspectors noted that employees were wearing surgical-style masks that were issued by the company and required when the plant reopened April 20. The company had allowed workers to begin wearing their own face coverings April 2, four days before the plant shut down, records show.

Wow, just wow.

Meanwhile in Florida...

Gov. Ron DeSantis suggested on Thursday that Florida could create a “bill of rights” to protect college students who face expulsion for attending parties under the strict Covid-19 guidelines schools are attempting to enforce.

Calling the policies “incredibly draconian” at a public health event, the Republican governor said the state is exploring its options for students without going into much detail. The idea comes as school leaders in Florida and beyond threaten stiff penalties for breaking social distancing rules in an effort to keep coronavirus transmission low and campuses open throughout the full semester.

“I personally think it’s incredibly draconian that a student would get potentially expelled for going to a party,” DeSantis said Thursday. “That’s what college kids do.”

Just insane...

Here in CO, the industry has friends in high places...

The morning local news was a round up for where teenagers had parties over the weekend.

There was a party in Milton with an estimated as many as 100 teenagers. Hybrid learning will temporarily convert back to full remote learning as they did not identify all teenagers involved with the party.

Locally here in Salem, there was a party at Salem State Friday night with approximately 50 people in one house. Police arrested 1 non-Salem State student and are expected to file charges against the homeowner.

There were a couple other parties mentioned, but none as notable / as large as the above two.

New cases are up in Florida. Latest data shows a massive surge in cases is coming in October.

Despite all this, the Governor of Florida just gave the green light for all business to fully reopen. This includes bars, restaurants and nightclubs. They can now be open with virtually no restrictions. Masks are a personal choice. No capacity restrictions. All businesses are free to operate as pre-covid levels.

A report says mask are virtually nowhere to be found my patrons of nightclubs.

700 new #covid19 cases in Ontario today. That is the highest one day total ever in Ontario. The past high was 640 on April 24.

With 700 cases today, the Ontario Hospital Association is calling for a return to Stage 2 in Ottawa.

The OHA is very concerned that the rising COVID-19 case count could impede their ability to deliver quality care in other areas - in particular life saving surgeries.

Please be COVID-wise. 😷

Not sure what thread to post this in.

Seeing as COVID has shut down our ability to attend concerts in the traditional sense, I thought maybe this was the spot.

@mcherry, heads up for the Oct 18th and beyond dates.

Not sure what thread to post this in.

Seeing as COVID has shut down our ability to attend concerts in the traditional sense, I thought maybe this was the spot.

@mcherry, heads up for the Oct 18th and beyond dates.
How about this one?

Someone in my work group is sick with COVID. So far just chills and body aches. It looks like the only people who will be quarantined are two people who spent 3 hours with him in a small conference room Monday. One of those people had a double lung transplant last year. We are staggered at our desks to be at least 6 feet apart and wear masks unless we are eating.

Stressful!

Someone in my work group is sick with COVID. So far just chills and body aches. It looks like the only people who will be quarantined are two people who spent 3 hours with him in a small conference room Monday. One of those people had a double lung transplant last year. We are staggered at our desks to be at least 6 feet apart and wear masks unless we are eating.

Stressful!

They couldn’t give you the option of working from home for a bit?

Back