Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Not "orange" in Gatineau yet... but I expect it by the end of the week. Unfortunately, the acceleration in both our towns feels steeper than the first time around TBH.

Be careful out there... I think there are a lot more cases in the wild here right now than there ever were. Yesterday I did some scratch pad calculations for Gatineau using an RT of 1.1-1.2, which is conservative, and came up with roughly 70-80 cases at home awaiting positive results and another ~300-ish already infected/infectious but that will begin showing symptoms in 1-4 days. And I think I underestimated the testing delay, so it's probably even higher. The numbers would higher in Ottawa but the proportions appear similar.
Be safe too buddy 🙏 💙

Ottawa has recorded its highest-ever daily increase in COVID-19 cases, with provincial officials reporting 90 new cases on Tuesday.

The previous record was 76 new cases, which the city recorded on April 29.

i'm just moaning here-- but I got jury duty. I'm a stand by juror, which is good and probably means I won't get called, but I'm pretty unhappy about it. I've been really, really careful and I've barely gone out in the last six months, the last thing I want to do is to be stuck inside for potentially hours at a time in a courthouse with random strangers. I know the justice system can't just stop indefinitely, I'm just unhappy about having to risk exposure over this. Still, hopefully I won't get called.

Ottawa has recorded its highest-ever daily increase in COVID-19 cases, with provincial officials reporting 90 new cases on Tuesday.

We have the lowest increase in two weeks on this side of the river, for some reason. My personal feeling is that it's a delay in testing, but we'll see in the next few days.

They just moved up our alert level to "orange" despite the lower case #'s today - the authorities probably know something. The recent increases have been record-breaking day after day anyway. The % positivity of the tests was around 5% other than today, which is quite high. From what I understand, this change in level mainly limits gathering sizes at home and in certain public places and shuts restaurants and bars earlier. Too soft to make a major difference TBH, but we'll see.

They just moved up our alert level to "orange" despite the lower case #'s today - the authorities probably know something. The recent increases have been record-breaking day after day anyway. The % positivity of the tests was around 5% other than today, which is quite high. From what I understand, this change in level mainly limits gathering sizes at home and in certain public places and shuts restaurants and bars earlier. Too soft to make a major difference TBH, but we'll see.
Meanwhile, my kid's school district has actually *relaxed* the threshold for allowing in-person education to resume, and is planning to start in-person classes in late October. It's...astounding, really.

Not good my friend not good. We are now sitting at 93 cases today here in Ottawa. Largest single day spike since this whole thing started. To make matters worse they are all cases in people under the age of 40. 😬😷

Not good my friend not good. We are now sitting at 93 cases today here in Ottawa. Largest single day spike since this whole thing started. To make matters worse they are all cases in people under the age of 40. 😬😷

Agreed.

What's always hard to keep in mind with this, is that the test results come out several days after someone developed symptoms and then that person was infectious for up to 4 days prior. There is likely to be multiple times that amount of unknowingly infectious people out and about right now. We just hope contact tracing is quick enough to at least put some of them in preventative isolation.

Meanwhile, my kid's school district has actually *relaxed* the threshold for allowing in-person education to resume, and is planning to start in-person classes in late October. It's...astounding, really.
We already started in-person classes. I'll update y'all in another week or two when things shut down again.

Wonder if it was political or financial pressure that caused them to backtrack.

Sounds like political pressure for sure:

I don't see anything about whether or not there will be people in attendance of the games yet in this article. But I suspect that will be on a school by school state by state basis.

Football and basketball are one of the biggest revenue streams for Universities / Colleges.

It's both but this like everything else is about $. The money is also partially why predators like Jerry Sandusky are ignored by other men in power. The southern schools were going to keep bringing in the capital, albeit somewhat decreased I'm sure, and the Big 10 and Pac 12 were not. Mostly this all just demonstrates further that these athletes are worth far more than they are being paid.

We already started in-person classes. I'll update y'all in another week or two when things shut down again.
Yeah, to be fair they gave us an option to stick with all virtual for the rest of the semester, which our kid picked. We started school in July, so we're in the back half of the first quarter already. It's just weird that they would time it so that the return coincides with when authorities are warning to expect a major increase in cases.

To date they've taken a very cautious approach, so it's especially strange that they would relax at this stage. Very curious what it will look like after the semester break, in the thick of flu season.

i'm just moaning here-- but I got jury duty. I'm a stand by juror, which is good and probably means I won't get called, but I'm pretty unhappy about it. I've been really, really careful and I've barely gone out in the last six months, the last thing I want to do is to be stuck inside for potentially hours at a time in a courthouse with random strangers. I know the justice system can't just stop indefinitely, I'm just unhappy about having to risk exposure over this. Still, hopefully I won't get called.

I have the worst luck with Jury duty. Ever since turning 18 I have been called every 3 years and have had to serve each and every time including once on Grand Jury for 6 weeks straight, 5 days a week. That has been until last year. I got lucky enough when calling the night before to find out I was not needed to report the next day. Then guess what happens 6 months later? I get summund again. But this time it was canceled because of COVID. I'm entirely expecting to get another summons soon.

I believe in person trials and juries will be resuming in October here in Massachusetts. With that being said, that means there was a good six month stretch where people were not getting trials which I'm no okay with. I can just picture a minority falsely accused of a crime who won't plead guilty to a crime they did not commit, but can't afford bail. So this sit in jail until the verdict of the trial.

Things are getting bad in Wisconsin.

Things are getting bad in Wisconsin.
Weird how the severity of the virus is both simultaneously a Democratic ruse to threaten Trump's credibility and a result of poor leadership in Democrat-governed cities/states.

Weird how the severity of the virus is both simultaneously a Democratic ruse to threaten Trump's credibility and a result of poor leadership in Democrat-governed cities/states.

Wasn't Wisconsin the state where the State Supreme court ruled the stay at home order was unconstitutional and everything opened back up immediately instead of in phased plans? Also, didn't some judge say they didn't have a coronavirus problem but a meat packing plant problem?

I'm going to wager that's not democratic leadership.

Wasn't Wisconsin the state where the State Supreme court ruled the stay at home order was unconstitutional and everything opened back up immediately instead of in phased plans? Also, didn't some judge say they didn't have a coronavirus problem but a meat packing plant problem?

I'm going to wager that's not democratic leadership.
Yeah, I was looking specifically at the Madison dateline and not the statewide details of the story, but yes.

‘People are just being dishonest’: Parents are sending covid-19 infected kids to school, Wisconsin officials warn

I have been hearing much the same locally in the news. There have been at least 2 local reported incidents this month where parents have sent their child to school anyways after testing positive for COVID-19. Which has caused issues for school districts resulting in hybrid learning going back to remote learning for 2 weeks or contract tracing that results in many students and teaching in quarantine.

I'm not sure if this keeps happening because of lack of child care, parents just don't care or thing the virus is no worse than the common cold, suck it up and go to school.

On top of all the madness my wife's been dealing with treating her school's kids while staying safe, their entire computer system got shut down by ransomware today so they can't access anything - IEPs, notes, schedules, nothing.

Back