Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

1596639367661.png

This is also a trend I have been seeing on snapchat. Quite a few people I follow who are either servers or a server as a second job have been posting on their stories that are way down. People keep stiffing them because they are angry over masks or that they were told no when they wanted to sit at a particular table or booth, but were told no because of social distancing measures. Only every other booth can be filled. People don't like to be told no or what to do. And they are taking out their frustrations with their tips.

For example, yesterday from in Florida someone's lunch came to $28. They paid with a $50 bill. Left no tip. This person also had chewed the servers ear off about having to wear a mask to get into the place and be seated.

To make matters worse, because of lower capacities in restaurants, many have initiated tip pooling and including the bus staff in the pool. With tips being a substantial portion of their wages they can't make a living off of this. At least 2 servers I follow who are in their late 20's had to move back in with their parents because they can't afford rent. Their restaurant never closed and they were never laid off or eligible for unemployment. They have just seen a drastic reduction in trips.

View attachment 60014

This is also a trend I have been seeing on snapchat. Quite a few people I follow who are either servers or a server as a second job have been posting on their stories that are way down. People keep stiffing them because they are angry over masks or that they were told no when they wanted to sit at a particular table or booth, but were told no because of social distancing measures. Only every other booth can be filled. People don't like to be told no or what to do. And they are taking out their frustrations with their tips.

For example, yesterday from in Florida someone's lunch came to $28. They paid with a $50 bill. Left no tip. This person also had chewed the servers ear off about having to wear a mask to get into the place and be seated.

To make matters worse, because of lower capacities in restaurants, many have initiated tip pooling and including the bus staff in the pool. With tips being a substantial portion of their wages they can't make a living off of this. At least 2 servers I follow who are in their late 20's had to move back in with their parents because they can't afford rent. Their restaurant never closed and they were never laid off or eligible for unemployment. They have just seen a drastic reduction in trips.

This is some straight up Bullshit.

From the article:
Programs born of good intent for reasons of national security and convenience no longer fit the bill. Instead of keeping our children and most vulnerable healthy and productive, we are now sicker than we were post-Depression. A 2018 report filed by Mission: Readiness, a council of retired admirals and generals who advocate for policies that help kids stay healthy, in school and out of trouble, stated that, "In the United States, 71 percent of young people between the ages of 17 and 24 do not qualify for military service," noting exceptionally high rates of obesity starting as early as age 2.
The numbers have flipped, and so have the health conditions. Fewer Americans are physically ready for work and war than in 1945, yet, instead of being underweight and malnourished, they are overweight and malnourished.
Now during this pandemic, our industrialized food system, optimized for efficiency over resilience, seems to be failing. One only has to witness farmers dumping milk and fresh produce and see the Depression-era-style lines wrapped around food banks to realize the depths of our food crisis. Now is the time to both address nutrition insecurity and support regional and specialty farmers.

The first time this issue pinged on my radar was when I was finishing up school and working for a public health non profit in NOLA. We were seeing extreme "food deserts" in the NOLA neighborhoods that were hit hardest by H. Katrina. A food desert is a place with no grocery store access to fresh foods like fruit, veggies and meat. These neighborhoods are often kept afloat by small convenience stores, but unlike a New York bodega, our NOLA stores only sold convenience foods, nothing fresh. We worked with these small corner stores and got subsidies for them so they could add fruit and veggies to their stores. This was always a problem, but we didn't have a massive event to clue us in until now. We throw away so much nutritionally dense foods due to spoilage and our current programs are focused on calories instead of nutritional value. I really, really hope that we start to re-examine our food production and pivot away from calorically dense but nutritionally devoid foods as staples of the American diet and start talking about nutritional value in a real way. Local farmers should be shipping food to school cafeterias, not Tyson or ConAgra.

Kraft wants you to wake up and smell the mac and cheese.
More Americans are eating at home as the pandemic spreads across the United States, and household routines are changing. So Kraft Heinz (KHC) announced Tuesday that it will rebrand its Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Dinner along with its iconic blue box.
It's not getting a full redesign: The company is just adding the word "breakfast" — instead of dinner — to encourage Americans to start their day with neon orange cheesy noodles.
The company hopes the new "breakfast" label could take away some of the shame that's associated with parents serving their kids easy-to-make non-breakfast foods in the morning.

Yes, let's get more processed food into our diet.

View attachment 60014

That's hard to believe. I am generally tipping in the 40% range these days BECAUSE these people are risking their lives to serve food. Note, I actually only ate at a restaurant while traveling and stopped at the same place both ways since they have great food and outside seating and mask requirements (shout out to Tomato Head in Knoxville on Kingston Pike). I have done carry out a few times as well and still tip huge. I was actually assuming most people were increasing the tips substantially.

Florida has now recorded 6 deaths of kids/teenagers.

However, Florida continues to move forward with plans to reopen all schools. The general attitude is deaths of kids are quite rare an acceptable losses we must face so the economy does not suffer.
I mean, we don't mind them being shot at school, so this is right on brand

In MA, crowed sizes are being being cut back from 100 to 50 again. And phase 3 part 2 has been put on hold indefinitely by our governor today.

During todays press conference the governor is urging school districts to go the path of remote learning if they can in September.

NBC interviewed some parents on their reaction to this news and I was shocked by what people had to say.

For example, one mother they interviewed said that the state has done enough harm to kids by not having them in the classroom. It is highly inappropriate to push back on getting students back into the classroom.

I thought this was a very interesting thread.

Grain of salt of course, not a peer reviewed paper by any means.

Last edited:
Back