Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My wife had a meeting today for the upcoming school year plan. Since DeWine is leaving a lot (read: everything) up to the local districts, we were worried that Ohio's GOP minded culture would put everyone in danger. My MIL's district isn't doing anything differently so they're going to be a shitshow once school starts. My wife's, however, is following the color coding for counties that DeWine rolled out this week. Once they hit red, they're shutting down the school and going remote learning. The county we live in is already red, but the county she works in is still orange. The way things are going, it'll be red before school starts. Part of me is relieved?

1594411844538.png

My wife had a meeting today for the upcoming school year plan. Since DeWine is leaving a lot (read: everything) up to the local districts, we were worried that Ohio's GOP minded culture would put everyone in danger. My MIL's district isn't doing anything differently so they're going to be a shitshow once school starts. My wife's, however, is following the color coding for counties that DeWine rolled out this week. Once they hit red, they're shutting down the school and going remote learning. The county we live in is already red, but the county she works in is still orange. The way things are going, it'll be red before school starts. Part of me is relieved?

View attachment 56028

Out of curiosity, what do the levels mean in concrete terms? Are they an indication of the rate of increase, the total number of live cases, or something else? What kind of situation is level 4?

The federal government is not stepping in to fund measures needed to safely open school districts. In fact, they are threatening to withhold current funding if schools don't resume impression classes. Most other counties have funded schools to be able to safely conduct social distancing, provide masks and extra staff to help with learning and disinfecting. The united states, nothing. And our schools are more cash strapped to start with than other counties due to years of tax cuts.

The current state of funding in the United States for education leaves school districts with no other options but remote learning for many districts, and relying on parents to help teach.

There are "key indicators" that they use to determine each level.

View attachment 56071View attachment 56072

All and all, those look pretty decent. How do you feel about them? Do they seem consistent with implementing the measures? I might prefer more aggressive measures with banning risky gatherings (and not just limit them) at lower levels (anything non-essential indoors with lots of people, especially bars, restaurants, gyms, shows, religious service and stuff like that)..

All and all, those look pretty decent. How do you feel about them? Do they seem consistent with implementing the measures? I might prefer more aggressive measures with banning risky gatherings (and not just limit them) at lower levels (anything non-essential indoors with lots of people, especially bars, restaurants, gyms, shows, religious service and stuff like that)..
Having the guidelines is one thing. Enforcing them is a completely different challenge. I'd also prefer more drastic measures, and DeWine said today that's he's not mandating masks statewide which I believe he should, but yeah.

Having the guidelines is one thing. Enforcing them is a completely different challenge. I'd also prefer more drastic measures, and DeWine said today that's he's not mandating masks statewide which I believe he should, but yeah.

We're definitely heading towards mandatory masks over here. Nothing's officially announced yet but our health director pretty much just said today they were working out the final touches (essentially how it would be enforced, penalties, etc). They seem to want it done before next weekend because that's when our two week "construction holidays" start (end of July every year, all construction workers get time off and a lot of other businesses just use the same weeks). Basically, a bunch of people will be off and travelling, even if it's just between regions around the province - with all the spreading risk that entails. They got caught flat-footed with reading week being the first week of March - travelers brought back COVID and Quebec ended up being one of the worst hit in Canada. I'm hoping they learned something from that.

We're definitely heading towards mandatory masks over here. Nothing's officially announced yet but our health director pretty much just said today they were working out the final touches (essentially how it would be enforced, penalties, etc). They seem to want it done before next weekend because that's when our two week "construction holidays" start (end of July every year, all construction workers get time off and a lot of other businesses just use the same weeks). Basically, a bunch of people will be off and travelling, even if it's just between regions around the province - with all the spreading risk that entails. They got caught flat-footed with reading week being the first week of March - travelers brought back COVID and Quebec ended up being one of the worst hit in Canada. I'm hoping they learned something from that.

Enforcement of masks here is going to be a joke. Police cannot (and many have said they will not) enforce it and advised concerned citizens to call the local health departments as it's under their jurisdiction. Fines are $250 for businesses and like $50 for individuals (don't quote me on that) if health officials actually ticket anyone, which again is doubtful as health departments are spread so thin right now. Our 4th of July holiday is past now and the next holiday isn't until Labor Day in August but basically anytime in summer is potentially vacation time obviously so the spread from people returning from beach areas is really bad.

Bottom line, I'm not holding my breath but at least my wife hopefully won't get dragged into work at a school for children with developmental disabilities who many already have immune and other physical issues that COVID and an underfunded education system would NOT be good for. I'm almost praying that the county goes red.

Hey, our governor finally did something to slow the spread of COVID. Bars and restaurants are no longer allowed to sell alcohol after 11pm. We did it, we'll be at zero cases in no time.

I've been hearing this for a while now and it is why I am beginning to get frustrated with deep cleaning announcements. Restaurants around here will have an employee test positive and then shut down for a day to "deep clean" and reopen.

My kids are back at preschool and we are paying more now than we were for less benefits and shorter days so they can deep clean at the end of every day.

Both can't hurt and it is hard for me to say they are useless or bad or valueless, but in light of these sorts of findings from the scientific community, it begins to come off more as a PR stunt to help people have a false sense of security, as opposed to actually helping.

What would actually make me feel better in the restaurant example, would be if they shut down until they tested everyone on their staff and received the results, but of course they aren't willing to do that. Luckily I haven't heard of any cases related to the preschool yet.

I've been hearing this for a while now and it is why I am beginning to get frustrated with deep cleaning announcements. Restaurants around here will have an employee test positive and then shut down for a day to "deep clean" and reopen.

My kids are back at preschool and we are paying more now than we were for less benefits and shorter days so they can deep clean at the end of every day.

Both can't hurt and it is hard for me to say they are useless or bad or valueless, but in light of these sorts of findings from the scientific community, it begins to come off more as a PR stunt to help people have a false sense of security, as opposed to actually helping.

What would actually make me feel better in the restaurant example, would be if they shut down until they tested everyone on their staff and received the results, but of course they aren't willing to do that. Luckily I haven't heard of any cases related to the preschool yet.

I fully agree - I mean we're still wiping down and cleaning all outside purchases. It takes a lot of effort, especially with groceries. But we're starting to relax about that as we begin to understand that the really risky activities are being indoors with lots of different people, especially if they're not masked, and where people are drinking or eating or shouting (eating/drinking/speaking loudly and singing indoors being the most risky).

Shutting down businesses while waiting for test results is the smart way forward, I think. Sure disinfect to make people feel better, but that's really all it's probably doing. At the very least keep all employees that had contact home if that can be figured out with certainty.

French article discussing the risks of different activities. There is an interesting simple guideline at the end, provided by a public health professor from the University of Montreal.

He says one simple way to calculate risk is to score 1 for every contact you will have during the activity (<2M/6ft). Multiply by 5 if the contact is indoors. Try to stick to activities that are under 20-25 pts and definitely wear a mask when you're near that amount of points. For example, playing tennis is only 2-3 points (one opponent and maybe a few more incidental contacts). Walking outside or biking alone may be zero. But going to the grocery store is probably at least 4-5 contacts and maybe more (20-25+ pts) - it's good to know that while this is essential, it's risky and you should wear a mask, be careful and try to go less often. It's easy to see that places like bars and restaurants would score very high.

Male genital damage in COVID-19 patients: Are available data relevant?

Abstract
Over the past few weeks, we have observed increasing concern about the possible impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) which is caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) on male fertility. Precise mechanisms of male reproductive damages are still unclear, but it seems that high temperature resulting from persistent fever and triggering a secondary autoimmune response leading to an autoimmune orchitis are the most likely involved mechanisms. Also, angiotensin conversion enzyme 2 (ACE2) plays a highly important role in cellular entry for SARS-CoV-2 and male genital system presents high ACE2 expression. All these preliminary findings suggest that COVID-19 could impact men's reproductive health. Thus, we examined available data including published and unpublished articles to assess the potential risk of COVID-19 in particular on the male reproductive system.
Keywords
COVID-19
SARS-CoV-2
Male genital system
Testis
Male infertility

Back