Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

LA Counties ICU beds reached 99% capacity over the weekend. California has begun to close things down again. Bars, beaches and piers are closed effective immediately. Emergency texts were sent out telling people to stay at home.

Some offices that have reopened are seeing COVID-19 starting to spread through the office.

Just read several peoples posts online about local management wanting to go back to working from home temporarily until things are safe, but management in the corporate office are being resistant to the idea. There are no reason why they can't wok from home again, they were all able to successfully during the stay at home order. The issue is just management's resistance to the idea of working from home again when not legally required. It's not their business model and they don't like the idea. The general attitude is "we're not a work from home company" and they don't plan on making any exceptions or changes to policies.

Positive phase I results for another vaccine, this time one using the RNA technology. No RNA vaccine has ever previously been approved for human use - several groups are currently testing versions for COVID19 though. The advantage is that they would be super cheap to produce in large quantities. The disadvantage is well, there is a lot of unknowns with an unproven technology. But so far so good for this one. There are minor side effects, like fevers in under 10% of people getting two shots of the low dose, but the low dose produces good antibody titres. That doesn't concern me too much because presence of a fever can be seen as an indicator of triggering an immune response, which is good. But it may mean that certain contingencies should be planned for when these roll out (like give people a few days off after they get the vaccine).

Among the most important findings, consistent across several studies, is confirmation the virus appears to attack the lungs the most ferociously. They also found the pathogen in parts of the brain, kidneys, liver, gastrointestinal tract, spleen and in the endothelial cells that line blood vessels, as some had previously suspected. Researchers also found widespread clotting in many organs.

But the brain and heart yielded surprises.

“It’s about what we are not seeing,” said Mary Fowkes, an associate professor of pathology who is part of a team at Mount Sinai Health that has performed autopsies on 67 covid-19 patients.

We heard earlier in the week that antibodies may not be maintained for long after infection, especially in low symptomatic and asymptomatic people. But it seems like even those with very mild infections maintain specific T cells for much longer.

Serious question: what IS the evidence for children and spread? I understand that children tend to get a much more mild form of the disease, although there does seem to be some serious inflammatory complications in a small number of young kids, and there are a small number of children that have died-- but in general, the disease doesn't seem as aggressive in children. But what's the evidence say about their ability to spread it?

I'm currently trying to figure out if we want to send our boys to daycare. Actually, we definitely WANT to send our kids to daycare, since it's impossible for two working parents to continue working from home with a 3y/o and a 1y/o around full time. But I don't know how dangerous that's going to be. I'm in PA, and while our numbers aren't great, we're not in a horrible outbreak zone. I just constantly worry about sending them back, worry about my parents or my wife's parents getting it, or even me and my wife getting it.

I don't know. The childcare thing is a huge deal. I don't know how parents are going to start working again with childcare closed down. And I don't know if we even should open childcare places again.

Anyway, if anyone has any good sources on children and spread, I'd love to read it, good or bad. I've looked around and the data seems frustratingly vague.

Serious question: what IS the evidence for children and spread? I understand that children tend to get a much more mild form of the disease, although there does seem to be some serious inflammatory complications in a small number of young kids, and there are a small number of children that have died-- but in general, the disease doesn't seem as aggressive in children. But what's the evidence say about their ability to spread it?

I'm currently trying to figure out if we want to send our boys to daycare. Actually, we definitely WANT to send our kids to daycare, since it's impossible for two working parents to continue working from home with a 3y/o and a 1y/o around full time. But I don't know how dangerous that's going to be. I'm in PA, and while our numbers aren't great, we're not in a horrible outbreak zone. I just constantly worry about sending them back, worry about my parents or my wife's parents getting it, or even me and my wife getting it.

I don't know. The childcare thing is a huge deal. I don't know how parents are going to start working again with childcare closed down. And I don't know if we even should open childcare places again.

Anyway, if anyone has any good sources on children and spread, I'd love to read it, good or bad. I've looked around and the data seems frustratingly vague.
This is a decent review of the literature, but yes, it does look like no one really knows.

I have three kids, but they are all much older. I sent them to camp, because while it is easier to tell an 11 y/o to be quiet, it doesn't really happen as well as you would like. The science seems to suggest that kids don't spread it as easily as adults.

As for kids being at risk for inflammatory disease brought on by Covid, that's a whole other ball of wax. But if your kiddo has an underlying condition or you have a family history of inflammatory disease, I would keep the kids home.

As for me, I would be more hesitant to use daycare just because your youngest is 1. But you have to actually do your job and not deal with kids all day, so this is a tough call. If you do send them to daycare, I would probably restrict grandparent access.

This is a decent review of the literature, but yes, it does look like no one really knows.

I have three kids, but they are all much older. I sent them to camp, because while it is easier to tell an 11 y/o to be quiet, it doesn't really happen as well as you would like. The science seems to suggest that kids don't spread it as easily as adults.

As for kids being at risk for inflammatory disease brought on by Covid, that's a whole other ball of wax. But if your kiddo has an underlying condition or you have a family history of inflammatory disease, I would keep the kids home.

As for me, I would be more hesitant to use daycare just because your youngest is 1. But you have to actually do your job and not deal with kids all day, so this is a tough call. If you do send them to daycare, I would probably restrict grandparent access.

Thank you! I'll read those articles. We're basically weighing all these issues and trying to decide what to do. And definitely the grandparents will be restricted, possibly not allowed to see them for a while-- but I'm not sure they'll go along with that. I don't know, there's no easy answer and no clear guidance, so it's just a matter of risk tolerance and best guesses at this point...

AUSTIN -- As cases of the coronavirus surge in Texas, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says he is done listening to the country’s top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci.

On Fox News Tuesday, Patrick accused Fauci of being wrong “every time, on every issue,” but Patrick did not offer any evidence.

There was a study out of the Netherlands. Not sure if I posted it here or not.

Bottom line was that primary school kids don't seem to spread it much to each other. They can get it, but the symptoms are usually mild, and usually they get it from the adults around them.

Another survey in NEJM this week suggested that when they get sick, there is a small chance of kawasaki-like complications. Like 2 in 100,000 in their survey.

Of course, there are a lot of unknowns.

It's a tough choice. Mine went back to school here in May. We were torn. She was in grade 5 - just turned 11. It actually went really well. Very few cases were reported in schools across the province in those 7 weeks. Only primary schools reopened. Note that Montreal was the hardest hit here and their schools did not reopen. Early June, there were around 40 cases, half were adults and only 2 schools had multiple cases. I didn't see any further updates but case numbers plummeted here after that.

Looks like PA is requiring masks if you leave your home now.

Apparently the worst thing that has ever happened to some people I've seen reacting.

In my area, masking has been pretty consistent and I haven't heard any complaints really. But I'm in Doylestown, which is like the last bastion of liberal before you stray out into the deep red of Pennsyltucky.

In my area, masking has been pretty consistent and I haven't heard any complaints really. But I'm in Doylestown, which is like the last bastion of liberal before you stray out into the deep red of Pennsyltucky.
I'm in Hanover. While I'm surprised it seems to be getting more and more liberal here there's a lot of older conservatives.

we don't care what you have to say, lady.

Texas queen throwing on the Godsmack CD at the end- a true icon.

recent news from Austin, but filtered through my best troll friend Kevin, who writes for The Austin Chronicle:
Police Association Accuses Protesters of Giving Cops COVID-19
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.40.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.45.45 PM.png
the public is not having much sympathy considering the only precautions these people took were headshots at unarmed kids, and Kevin dropped APA's statement along with a jillion photos of unmasked cops.

In Austin, Where Nearly All Concerts are Canceled, Vanilla Ice Set to Perform Friday
The Independence Day Throwback Beach Party promoter, Mike Wade, told Chronicle reporter Rachel Rascoe via text that the show’s capacity will be 2,500. Tickets, selling on Eventbrite, range $25-$300.

Vanilla Ice, aka Dallas native Rob Van Winkle, leans heavily on celebration of Nineties throwback culture in his promotion. An Instagram post from earlier this week showed footage from a packed concert, along with the caption: “I can’t wait to get back to this. The Nineties were the best. We didn’t have coronavirus, or cell phones, or computers.” He goes on to call the era, “The last of the great decades.”

Do people in other countries have to deal with people making up all this nonsense about masks?

For the most part, this is only an American problem. Sure there might be an odd ball few in other countries, but for the most part they seem to comply for their own health and the greater good without fuss.

Back