Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

21 states are seeing a spike in new cases and hospitals are in the verge of being overwhelmed again.

A Harvard expert interviewed on the Today Show this morning says we need to take action now. He's not calling for shutting down again, but rather implementing other polices to reduce the spread. He says we need to address the issue instead of ignoring it like we did in February and March or we will find ourselves needing to shut down again. In action and ignoring the issue early on is what lead to the first lockdown.

However, many of these states are red states such as Florida and Arizona, and they are attributing the increase in new cases to increases in testing and are moving forward full steam to reopen. However, as the Harvard expert says, increases in testing does not account for the increase in new hospitalizations the states are seeing.

Another troubling fact that is that if we find out selves at the point where a second shutdown is needed, a shut down will likely become political with many states not shutting down because the cure cannot worse than the disease. IE, the damage to the economy. We also likely will not see federal guidance from the Trump Administration to shut down again.

At the rate of new cases we are seeing today, the second wave will be full on by August and be worse than the first wave.

So, what's the deal with travel and stuff?

A friend of mine had made plans to visit his parents in CT in July, he lives in Chicago. Way back in pre-covid March, when this was planned, we were all going to get together and hang out. I guess he's still doing that but I don't know if it's safe to do, and I definitely am strongly leaning towards not hanging out. He's going to get tested a couple of weeks before traveling and then I think he'll stay with his folks for a week and a half. Not to quarantine, that's how long he's staying for. I'd have to drive down to CT to stay with my parents too If that was going to happen. We'd all get tested and wear masks and try to stay outside. There's no guards at the border of states stopping people, but it still feels irresponsible to me.

And also, my Girlfriend's parents who live is MS want to drive up here to visit. Originally back in late March they wanted to come thinking it may all be over by July. They wanted to come up for July 4th and stay for a week. I think driving is something to do since they've also been cooped up and it may be kind of fun. They now are thinking about coming up for October~ instead, which again no one knows what's going to happen but it still feels like no one should be traveling anywhere until this can be more contained.

I also had planned a trip to Scotland in September which I booked back in mid-February. I can get a full refund on AirBnb's up to a week before the dates and I think I can get credit on airfare, but it's tricky since I booked with 3 different airlines with different connections. The thing again, is would that even be possible, no one knows what September is going to look like, can people still travel if they're responsible? It might be easier to cancel than have a lackluster trip.

My town has a Facebook group and there was a thread on there asking why people don't wear masks and some of the dumb shit people are posting against wearing masks is just....wow. Outdatrd information, ridiculous memes about how they cause CO2 poisoning, conspiracy theories. People posting articles how the WHO said asymptomatic people don't spread it and flat out calling people liars for pointing out it was retracted the next day. Humanity is fucked

The general deal with traveling I heard is to avoid public transportation and flying when possible. It's safer to drive.

Know the travel restrictions to where you are traveling too. A few states and many countries you might be traveling too will require a 14 day quarantine. So Travel to say Hawaii or Alaska may not be possible for a year for a vacation. Because you are not going to do anything but be stuck indoors in self isolation for the first 14 days. You can't even go out to get food, you will need it delivered.

No buffets whatsoever. Avoid them at all costs as they are a hot spot for covid infections.

Face masks are a must. Have hand sanitizer on you at all times.

Be prepared to eat the costs if your Trip is canceled. Travel insurance will not cover you if the cancelation is related to covid. Whether you don't feel safe traveling or travel restrictions put in place prevents you from traveling.

So, what's the deal with travel and stuff?

A friend of mine had made plans to visit his parents in CT in July, he lives in Chicago. Way back in pre-covid March, when this was planned, we were all going to get together and hang out. I guess he's still doing that but I don't know if it's safe to do, and I definitely am strongly leaning towards not hanging out. He's going to get tested a couple of weeks before traveling and then I think he'll stay with his folks for a week and a half. Not to quarantine, that's how long he's staying for. I'd have to drive down to CT to stay with my parents too If that was going to happen. We'd all get tested and wear masks and try to stay outside. There's no guards at the border of states stopping people, but it still feels irresponsible to me.

And also, my Girlfriend's parents who live is MS want to drive up here to visit. Originally back in late March they wanted to come thinking it may all be over by July. They wanted to come up for July 4th and stay for a week. I think driving is something to do since they've also been cooped up and it may be kind of fun. They now are thinking about coming up for October~ instead, which again no one knows what's going to happen but it still feels like no one should be traveling anywhere until this can be more contained.

I also had planned a trip to Scotland in September which I booked back in mid-February. I can get a full refund on AirBnb's up to a week before the dates and I think I can get credit on airfare, but it's tricky since I booked with 3 different airlines with different connections. The thing again, is would that even be possible, no one knows what September is going to look like, can people still travel if they're responsible? It might be easier to cancel than have a lackluster trip.
My parents were supposed to go to Russia in July. They planned it well before Covid. Russia isn't letting them travel. They can't get a visa to go to Russia right now anyway, and their flight was canceled. My mom is still trying to get a refund or credit from the travel company in Russia.

There are a couple models that suggest that we will see the second big wave in September. Just like everything in 2020, no one knows a damn thing.

I was supposed to be flying to visit my brother in KC next week but we cancelled. No way I'm ready to fly yet and when we got there who knows what will actually be open.

Trump says the virus is now reduced to just the "embers" and "ashes" of a spent pandemic as patience for nationwide lock downs fades and states aggressively open up.

The facts say the opposite. Another 1,299 Americans died on Tuesday and more than 112,000 people in the US have died from the disease. There are now more than 2 million confirmed cases in the United States.

Regarding your Scotland trip, the Scottish government has published a reopening route map that is reviewed on a 3-weekly basis. We are still in phase 1 of reopening and the next review is on Thursday 16th June. You can download here for review if you want: Route Map

For example, it is not until Phase 3 that "Pubs and restaurants can open indoor spaces with physical distancing and increased hygiene routines. Personal retail services including hairdressers can open (with appropriate distancing and hygiene measures)."

In theory, this could be as early as 9th July but it is all dependent on how well the virus has been suppressed. Phase 4 is pretty much back to "normal" so there is every chance by September you will be fine although I imagine that social distancing will still be a thing and possibly face masks required. " Shopping, eating out and drinking: All types of outlets would be open in line with public health advice. Shop local could still be encouraged. "

Also, it's important to note that there is currently a 14 day self-isolation policy for anyone entering the U.K. However, I would imagine by September this will be eased.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): public health measures at borders - gov.scot

The current policy on face masks:

"On Monday, face coverings become compulsory on public transport in England – that’s why the transport secretary and the chairman of Network Rail are at today’s government briefing.

They’re recommended in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not compulsory - so if you’re on a train between England and Scotland or Wales, you could take the covering off when you left England if you really wanted to.

There could be spot fines from British Transport Police if you refuse to wear one in England, although they say that will be the last resort."

Last edited:
Also, it's important to note that there is currently a 14 day self-isolation policy for anyone entering the U.K. However, I would imagine by September this will be eased.
Thanks!! I am not a bar/crowd going person so most of the trip was going to be walking around Glasgow, seeing some museums and eating at restaurants and then the other half taking the train up to Inverness and going hiking and sightseeing around there. So if there are Phase 3 restrictions in place I think that most of what I had planned to do should be mostly fine.

I quoted the above because I wonder if instead of removing that restriction, you'll just take a test after you land and if you test negative you can just go on your way. I know they have been doing something like that in South Korea.

Thanks!! I am not a bar/crowd going person so most of the trip was going to be walking around Glasgow, seeing some museums and eating at restaurants and then the other half taking the train up to Inverness and going hiking and sightseeing around there. So if there are Phase 3 restrictions in place I think that most of what I had planned to do should be mostly fine.

I quoted the above because I wonder if instead of removing that restriction, you'll just take a test after you land and if you test negative you can just go on your way. I know they have been doing something like that in South Korea.
That sounds like a decent trip! I have some great memories of working near Inverness. It’s not a massive city but it’s got some great bars and restaurants. The Mustard Seed and The Kitchen were both decent from what I remember but it was nearly 10 years ago!

A little COVID warm and fuzzy.......

Just wanted to say how proud I am to be a Huntley High School parent, two of my kids have already graduated and my youngest will be a Junior next year. Kudos Principle Belin :)

Back