Vinyl Storage Recommendation

This is as close to the right thread as I can get without cluttering us up with a new one.

Does anyone have any solid tips for moving record collection and gear? I should (lots of fingers still crossed on the process) be moving house in 3 months — and while I’m only moving ~15 blocks away there is a gap of 12 days between the closings, and so everything has to go somewhere. I will have movers (lots and lots of stairs) but I’m not sure how much of this I should attempt myself. Move is mid summer, hot weather.

This is apartment to apartment moving in Boston. I have none of the original boxes for any gear (apartment living) but I currently feel like all of the tricky gear falls into: “carefully walk it down the 4 flights of stairs and ask a friend for a massive favor of storing it for 15 days” then take four trips by car and walk it up 3 flights of stairs…. Yay amps. We will have movers, but with tubes, etc (PrimaLuna, all gear in signature) it feels manual. (??) Or I just really wrap the heck out of the speakers…and everything except the turntable (I can’t see not carrying that)…but gulp. If I’m overthinking, and movers have done a great job with everything for everyone, let me know?

But the records. I’m guessing I’m somewhere around 3000 to 3500+. I have not historically put anything but a few rare titles in outer sleeves.

Is this bankers boxes? My last move was ~500 records, lots of cds, simpler. This feels daunting — and my quick math says 80-90 records a box and so roughly 40 boxes of records. ( I also never really bothered to put all of my collection in discogs — it just got tedious — which means I’m not really sure how to approach insurance, tracking.)

Now that I’ve typed all this, I think my answers are:

1. Hand carry turntable
2. Likely hand carry amp, pre amp — but get feedback from this group
3. Speakers — wrap and pray, yikes, whimper
4. Time permitting (not likely) add things to discogs — bummer
5. Banker box — put possible liner in by using recycling bags to boxes have plastic liner, label carefully for count, section, range (I file by genre, alphabetical, year of release) and just start early on packing up 90 boxes as my wife laughs and laughs and laughs at me — and then hope they are stored okay for the 2 weeks

So long post to probably answer my own questions — but I’d really welcome any suggestions on if this approach seems right or if anyone had a better approach. Also, insurance? Feels like a lot of money in this boxes…

Ugh, moving. (Also, fingers crossed it all works out, we are totally out of space in our current apt)

This is as close to the right thread as I can get without cluttering us up with a new one.

Does anyone have any solid tips for moving record collection and gear? I should (lots of fingers still crossed on the process) be moving house in 3 months — and while I’m only moving ~15 blocks away there is a gap of 12 days between the closings, and so everything has to go somewhere. I will have movers (lots and lots of stairs) but I’m not sure how much of this I should attempt myself. Move is mid summer, hot weather.

This is apartment to apartment moving in Boston. I have none of the original boxes for any gear (apartment living) but I currently feel like all of the tricky gear falls into: “carefully walk it down the 4 flights of stairs and ask a friend for a massive favor of storing it for 15 days” then take four trips by car and walk it up 3 flights of stairs…. Yay amps. We will have movers, but with tubes, etc (PrimaLuna, all gear in signature) it feels manual. (??) Or I just really wrap the heck out of the speakers…and everything except the turntable (I can’t see not carrying that)…but gulp. If I’m overthinking, and movers have done a great job with everything for everyone, let me know?

But the records. I’m guessing I’m somewhere around 3000 to 3500+. I have not historically put anything but a few rare titles in outer sleeves.

Is this bankers boxes? My last move was ~500 records, lots of cds, simpler. This feels daunting — and my quick math says 80-90 records a box and so roughly 40 boxes of records. ( I also never really bothered to put all of my collection in discogs — it just got tedious — which means I’m not really sure how to approach insurance, tracking.)

1. Hand carry turntable
5. Banker box — put possible liner in by using recycling bags to boxes have plastic liner, label carefully for count, section, range (I file by genre, alphabetical, year of release) and just start early on packing up 90 boxes as my wife laughs and laughs and laughs at me — and then hope they are stored okay for the 2 weeks

So long post to probably answer my own questions — but I’d really welcome any suggestions on if this approach seems right or if anyone had a better approach. Also, insurance? Feels like a lot of money in this boxes…

Ugh, moving. (Also, fingers crossed it all works out, we are totally out of space in our current apt)

I’d definitely hand carry the PLs and if you have tube boxes I’d take the tubes out, box them and move them outside the amps.

With the bankers boxes assume they hold at most 80% of what you’ve heard/estimated they hold because record sizes aren’t uniform.

1. Hand carry turntable

So I would invest in outers. Maybe just take photos for the collection instead of attempting to add cataloging to the stress of moving.

Otherwise no notes.

Godspeed and good luck.

1. Hand carry turntable

I think it's the Home Depot medium sized boxes that fit vinyl records the best. I've had mixed success with the bankers boxes but some of them work great. You used to be able to buy the ones that do work well from Get Hip for the cheapest price. Not sure if they are still selling them because they're a pain to ship for them, but I'd check there.

I moved about 2000 records from apartment to apartment across town last year by myself. It sucks, but doing them in boxes of about 50 is the sweet spot of not being too heavy to easily move. I didn't trust movers, but I'm sure there are good ones who are insured and bonded. I know even with the max renters insurance policy I could find it still wouldn't cover most of the cost of my gear and collection.

If you do storage for those 15 days, make sure you get a temperature controlled unit so that the heat doesn't damage your records.

1. Hand carry turntable

I moved about 2k records last time I moved. Didn’t let movers touch any of my gear including speakers and moved those all myself. Not sure your car situation, but we just made a bunch of trips with just my rare records and gear. My wife made fun of me.

For LPs I got a bunch of the square deals white cardboard LP boxes with handles. Not cheap but they are sturdy and stack well. I used a few uhaul boxes as well but they didn’t survive the move. The handles broke on most of them.

When I moved, I found that liquor boxes actually worked best. I would go to my local ABC store(s) and after a few trips over a few weeks, I would have enough for the collection. They are super sturdy, the right shape, and hold just enough to be heavy, but still carriable.
are they stackable? if @HuddieLedbetter needs to store them for a few weeks, i'd highly recommend something thats stackable and will hold under the weight. 3,000 records on a single layer would take up a ton of space.

When I moved, I found that liquor boxes actually worked best. I would go to my local ABC store(s) and after a few trips over a few weeks, I would have enough for the collection. They are super sturdy, the right shape, and hold just enough to be heavy, but still carriable.
Yup. Liquor boxes are great! Produce boxes work well too.

1. Hand carry turntable

Lots of good advice already coming your way. Trying to catalog your collection at this point is a bad idea because it's a real time-consuming effort and will take a lot longer even than what you might think it will because there are a surprising number of records for which finding just the right pressing on discogs can take a while. So forget that. Photos would seem a much easier and faster approach, and that's assuming all other facets of insuring the records are in place and valid. I also wouldn't worry about sleeves for 3,000+ records at this point. If you've gone this long without them, seems like more trouble and expense than it's worth. I suppose the records can rub against each other a bit being packed in boxes and moved, but enough to cause damage? And even if a bit of wear resulted, would you care? If there are special records in your collection for which the answer to that is 'yes,' then sleeve those.

Is the moving company providing storage for you during the 12 days between closings? Is the storage space temperature regulated? For the albums, that would seem like the most significant factor--the potential for heat-related damage. Beyond that, you already know you're going to be devoting a lot of time to boxing records. I wouldn't use labels (there's a Seinfeld about that!); black marker directly on the boxes. And is the plastic liner you mention for protecting against the potential for rain during the moving? (Otherwise, I'm not sure what that would be for). If so, I'd work out with the movers that the boxes themselves would be covered as they are moved, just as would happen with furniture or anything else that could be damaged by rain/water. Once the records are boxed and you're confident you've done everything you can to assure the moving company will handle them appropriately, don't worry about them! Focus on the gear.

Lots of good advice already coming your way. Trying to catalog your collection at this point is a bad idea because it's a real time-consuming effort and will take a lot longer even than what you might think it will because there are a surprising number of records for which finding just the right pressing on discogs can take a while. So forget that. Photos would seem a much easier and faster approach, and that's assuming all other facets of insuring the records are in place and valid. I also wouldn't worry about sleeves for 3,000+ records at this point. If you've gone this long without them, seems like more trouble and expense than it's worth. I suppose the records can rub against each other a bit being packed in boxes and moved, but enough to cause damage? And even if a bit of wear resulted, would you care? If there are special records in your collection for which the answer to that is 'yes,' then sleeve those.

Is the moving company providing storage for you during the 12 days between closings? Is the storage space temperature regulated? For the albums, that would seem like the most significant factor--the potential for heat-related damage. Beyond that, you already know you're going to be devoting a lot of time to boxing records. I wouldn't use labels (there's a Seinfeld about that!); black marker directly on the boxes. And is the plastic liner you mention for protecting against the potential for rain during the moving? (Otherwise, I'm not sure what that would be for). If so, I'd work out with the movers that the boxes themselves would be covered as they are moved, just as would happen with furniture or anything else that could be damaged by rain/water. Once the records are boxed and you're confident you've done everything you can to assure the moving company will handle them appropriately, don't worry about them! Focus on the gear.
I’ll add that, unless you’re certain the moving company is extremely reputable, make sure the details of the treatment you want for record boxes is specified in writing your work order/invoice. Too many moving companies are like car dealers - they say a lot and promise a lot, and then, after you’re hooked, the actual implementation is by a bunch of worker bees who had nothing to do with the sale process and have one job — get everything on the truck and moved as quickly as possible.

Thank you all on this -- things like inserting a specific rider or language seems like a good thing that I'd not particularly thought of -- and I will likely divide my records into two groups (moving company and not) -- and I'll definitely be thoughtful on boxes, etc.

Also -- my goodness I dread moving all this gear :ROFLMAO:

phew. crisis averted:

back online.

Back