Upcoming/Recent Shows

We have Santana and Counting Crows as one lineup, plus the Train / Reo Speedwagon show. Too bad they aren't one big tour then @TrainFan73 would really have something special, esp if there was a train/counting crows crossover.

I passed on the Spongebob rave too. But did send the link for that to my kids.
I go see Santana and Counting Crows.

Saw my fave last night. It had been over five calendar years since I last (and also the first time) saw Julia perform in a live setting. Memorable like before.

Discovery Zone

I've also seen her before; two years ago as the opener for Jenny Hval. Synthpop with very Grimes-esque influence. She was equally as eclectic here, but didn't have a surprise saxophone guest this go around. A crowd started to form at the front even though I was seated front row. No way was I going to have an obstructed view for Julia's performance, so I got up from my seat to be a few feet from the stage after Discovery Zone finished.

20240507_200031.jpg20240507_200545.jpg

Julia Holter

She played for a healthy ~80min including encore. A bit shorter than her previous stop here during the Aviary tour; fully expected and understandable as 6min is the average song length on that gargantuan masterpiece.

She played 70% of the selections from this year's Something in the Room She Moves, a handful from N&G favorite Have You in My Wilderness, and one each from Ekstasis,  Aviary, and (my personal favorite) Loud City Song.

Sensational. I will leave it at that.

🎵 That is all, that is all, there is nothing else 🎵

20240507_215011.jpg20240507_215003.jpg20240507_205640.jpg20240507_210558.jpg

She played a Loud City Song song like I was hoping for! The whimsical "In the Green Wild" below:

Encore of "Materia" and GOATed art pop ballad "Betsy on the Roof" was breathtaking. Even her cute out of tune vocal at the beginning was endearing 🥰:

Post-Show
I forgot my permanent markers in my car and almost wanted to shout obscenities out loud, worried I wouldn't get my remaining unsigned Julia records signed afterwards.

Spoke to Julia (purposely put myself last in line, lol) for a few minutes after the merch line cleared up. I was still a nervous wreck speaking to her; she's literally my fave. Her merch was slightly disappointing...although she had all of her records on CD and five of the seven on LP, there were no new tees or any tour specific items. I already had the same T-shirt design from the Aviary tour five years ago. Didn't end up purchasing anything. I did however get my Tragedy, Ekstasis, In the Same Room, and Something in the Room She Moves LPs inked; she had gold and silver pens at the ready.

I hope it won't be another five years before she stops by Portland again. I missed her so so so so so much and the anticipation of seeing her perform again had me on a high. The wait was all worth it though. ❤️

20240508_005141.jpg

PERFECT. AS 👏 ALL 👏 THINGS 👏 SHOULD 👏 BE 👏

20240508_112945.jpg

EDIT: a word of concert detail

Last edited:
Back