The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Hopefully you can recoup it in a sale unless it's beyond hope without their repair. Sorry to hear either way.
I could try but the PS Audio service rep thought it might be a bad Stellar Gain chip. I think I wouldn't get too much for it and I'd also have to disclose the popping issue which might be something else that needs to be fixed. I can't fault the seller as everything worked decently, minus the popping, when I first received it for about 10 months. The ironic reason I'm back on the Adcom again is I have been going through records that I no longer listen to or feel good with parting with to raise some money to fund a new projector I want to get to replace our 10+ year old one. I had to use the Adcom to listen to my turntable so I was switching audio cables with my mono block amps. Tons of fun. Now, it's all back in one place. I have to say, this Topping really is a great deal for how little I paid for it.

I'm also finding no issues when I play DSD files through the Topping. Even at higher volumes there could be clipping with the Stellar Gain. Just so weird. I know the reason I got the Stellar Gain was to try to get one unit to handle everything which I guess is where I went wrong. On certain DSD files, I would get the same popping that I would hear on FLAC files played too loud. I could never find anything online to help me alleviate those issues.

Last edited:
The wiim will have a phono stage and room correction. Will be interesting to see what the price point is like and how all of that sounds.
It does have preamp capability akin to a headphone amp but also has a sub-out and as you mentioned a phono stage.
It shows how far Yamaha was ahead of the curve with the WXC-50 streamer/preamp and the WXA-50 which added an amp.
Good streaming app and amplifier.
WIIM has done a lot in a short time
For me the WIIM app seems like one of its best attributes

The WIIM Ultra at $329 is an upgraded WIIM Pro Plus with a screen and room correction as noted herein
If I were looking for a streamer I would consider it

Still waiting for WiiM to make a cheaper version of the FiiO R7. I want Apple Music baked in, instead of streaming to it from my computer or phone

Still waiting for WiiM to make a cheaper version of the FiiO R7. I want Apple Music baked in, instead of streaming to it from my computer or phone
I had zeroed in on a FiiO R7 and was literally going to buy one just a click away and I happened to see Advance Paris WTX Stream Tubes for $300 Euros and just clicked that button on a whim or a wiim instead. The FiiO is spendy comparatively.

The WIIM Ultra at $329 is an upgraded WIIM Pro Plus with a screen and room correction as noted herein
If I were looking for a streamer I would consider it

Kinda wish it had USB out or I2S to connect an external DAC for DSD playback. Maybe I’m just missing something though

Kinda wish it had USB out or I2S to connect an external DAC for DSD playback. Maybe I’m just missing something though
It does have “…coaxial and optical digital outputs for connecting to an outboard DAC or an amplifier or preamplifier with digital inputs.”
I am pro USB but typically I see SPDIF in lieu of a USB out on components.
It does not state that the RCA out is a pre-out or if it is line level.
If it is merely line level it really is not a preamplifier.
I am surprised that WiiM did not saturate the YouTube reviewers pre-release, with test units like Fosi did with the V3 Mono-blocks.
Fosi got a lot of pre-release beta testing by the reviewers and is reacting to the problems identified and fixing before they hit the street and a lot of love from the reviewers.
Amir had a SINAD orgasm.
Wiim is far more secretive and Fosi is smarter in that regard.

It does have “…coaxial and optical digital outputs for connecting to an outboard DAC or an amplifier or preamplifier with digital inputs.”
I am surprised that WiiM did not saturate the YouTube reviewers pre-release, with test units like Fosi did with the V3 Mono-blocks.
Fosi got a lot of pre-release beta testing by the reviewers and is reacting to the problems identified and fixing before they hit the street and a lot of love from the reviewers.
Amir had a SINAD orgasm.
Says the following so wasn’t sure if an external DAC would be able to play DSD instead of PCM.
  • coaxial and optical digital outputs for connecting to an outboard DAC or an amplifier or preamplifier with digital inputs
    • supports resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz via coaxial

Says the following so wasn’t sure if an external DAC would be able to play DSD instead of PCM.
  • coaxial and optical digital outputs for connecting to an outboard DAC or an amplifier or preamplifier with digital inputs
    • supports resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz via coaxial

The unit doesn’t support DSD across the board, using either its own DAC or an external one. Honestly I’d be surprised to see it supported at this price point, it’s more big money audiophile catnip.

The unit doesn’t support DSD across the board, using either its own DAC or an external one. Honestly I’d be surprised to see it supported at this price point, it’s more big money audiophile catnip.
That’s what I figured but my Aries mini streamer lets me go USB out to an external DAC with DSD which is nice. And my Singxer is attached to my desktop setup so lets me use DSD out too I think…

Amir had a SINAD orgasm.
I’m surprised they have it listed somewhere before the reports out of Munich started.

Back