Television

We started it last night. I loved how economically it covered a lot of ground in 50 minutes, but I found the acting a little stiff. I have enjoyed Andrew Scott in everything I have seen him in, and I just found his performance a bit off. Idk maybe it's a choice I will get used to.

Don't give up on Slow Horses. S3 is pretty wild.
I have a friend who thought ep 1 of Ripley was pretty slow but she loved it in the end. I was all in from the get go so YMMV.
Good to know...we loved S1 but for some reason S2 wasn't as compelling, but we only watched two episodes.
S3 of Slow Horses was excellent! IMO, S2 is the worst (though I still enjoyed it)

I loved Ripley. The only very small quip was WTF John Malkovich?!! Casting him in such a minor role with very limited screen time really distracted from actual moments on screen. Malkovich is always playing a version of himself at this point in his career and while the idea of a Malkovich type person hanging out at a fancy European party in the early 60s makes sense when it’s actually John Malkovich it’s a bit distracting.

Beyond that it was an excellent show that I look forward to revisiting in the future.

Last edited:
I loved Ripley. The only very small quip was WTF John Malkovich?!! Casting him in such a minor role with very limited screen time really distracted from actual moments. Malkovich is always playing a version of himself at this point in his career and while the idea of a Malkovich type person hanging out at a fancy European party in the early 60s makes sense when it’s actually John Malkovich it’s a bit distracting.

Beyond that it was an excellent show that I look forward to revisiting in the future.
IMG_6788.gif

It's a lot of fun. And all the actors are great, even the bit parts. I'm on my second watch right now because I convinced my wife to give it a chance.
I’m genuinely pretty amazed they managed to so fully translate the tone of the games without it feeling cheap or campy. Really compelling cast of characters, muscular direction, and it looks like a million bucks. Every time I see those practical Power Armor suits I giggle.

Watched Ripley E2 last night and am struggling with how it ended

after catching Tom wearing his clothes and imitating him, and then having a conversation in which Tom basically admits that he wants Marge out of the picture, why does Dickie shrug off such creepy behavior and say "let's just let it go"? I am struggling to understand why Dickie doesn't tell him to GTFO

I loved Ripley. The only very small quip was WTF John Malkovich?!! Casting him in such a minor role with very limited screen time really distracted from actual moments on screen. Malkovich is always playing a version of himself at this point in his career and while the idea of a Malkovich type person hanging out at a fancy European party in the early 60s makes sense when it’s actually John Malkovich it’s a bit distracting.

It was a bit of an Easter egg as he played a version of Ripley in a 2002 film. I agreed it took me out of it a bit but after hearing that I thought it was sorta fun.

Last edited:
Watched Ripley E2 last night and am struggling with how it ended

after catching Tom wearing his clothes and imitating him, and then having a conversation in which Tom basically admits that he wants Marge out of the picture, why does Dickie shrug off such creepy behavior and say "let's just let it go"? I am struggling to understand why Dickie doesn't tell him to GTFO
Dicky’s vanity gets the best of him. He sees Tom as harmless but also covets adoration Tom provides. It’s a feeling he desires and is something that Tom provides even more so than Marge. Tom seems like he would be lost without Dicky. Dicky is amused by it all.

It was a bit of an Easter egg as he played a version of Ripley in a 2002 film. I agreed it took men out of it a bit but after hearing that I thought it was sorta fun.
Thank you! That makes a bit more since especially given their conversation essentially stating that he recognizes Tom as an “art dealer” essentially suggesting that they are the same.

Back