Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Alternatively, a question I was eventually going to ask here... Has anyone gone #NoLawn here or planted native plants successfully in large swaths of their yard? If so, what steps did you take doing that? How much did it cost? Was it a lot to undertake etc?

We hate lawns and want to eventually transition away from having just grass. The previous owner neglected lawn care so there's some patches of brown spots, different types of grass here and there, they didn't bother raking so some leaves and sticks from trees left spots and patches where grass couldn't grow. They also had two smalls dogs who probably had favorite spots to do their business on the lawn. From a distance or if you drive by it looks totally normal and good, but up close you can see the issues. There's some nicer landscaping where plants are still surviving/thriving that we'll try and help this summer. But by next spring/summer we want to try and break ground on removing some grass in areas.
I really like this idea. For now, @debianlinux and I have been researching edible gardening and we would like to transition our yard that way.

I really like this idea. For now, @debianlinux and I have been researching edible gardening and we would like to transition our yard that way.
Is it edible gardening or EDIBLE gardening? I have no desire for the Denver connotation kind but would be interested in it otherwise and also would like to know how you keep all the varmints from eating stuff.

Back